4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Pulled Over!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 01:12 AM

Pulled Over!

Cop pulled me over in La Puente area(So. Cali) for "headlights being blue" and "playing music too loud."

I just got my Hanabi 8000k HIDs just over a week ago and now I don't know what to do. He put it down as a correctable offense. He explained to me about how they are too bright and the fact that they give out the blue hue. I never gotten any high beams from oncoming motorists so I didn't feel the need to adjust them. My car was lowered as well right after I put the HIDs on. While the cop was explaining to me about the brightness, Im thinking "well what about the HID kits that shine white, and how about factory HIDs??" The cop had me sitting in the car for about 20 min while he was behind writing the ticket. I was thinking "Dang, is he writing an essay or something?" It also looked like he was looking through a manual as to see what kind of offense was it.
Well on to the consequences...
Should I just take the easy but painful route and just remove and sell my HIDs altogether? (I only had them for a week!! )
I am also thinking to see if Freddie (one who I bought my HIDs from) will cut me a deal and let me trade in the 8000ks for a more whiter (and cheaper) HID kit.The 5000k or 6000k ones. I sure dont want to loose the comfort and superior visibility that HIDs give by reverting back to halogens.
I guess either way I guess I will have to lose the 8000k kit. Any interested in buying PM me. (Will be selling at a used price of course, lights have only been used for less than 5 hours total)

As for the "music offense", I guess I'm going to plead to the judge that I didn't know I was breaking the law and hopefully he won't be so hard on me Any idea of what the fine is on this type of offense?
And this is the 1st time being pulled over, what would happen if the cop doesn't show up in court? Will I get let off the hook on the 2nd offense? or do I have to pay for it even if he shows up or doesn't?

Sorry this post was so long, I know Im respondsible for it but I just had to vent. Im a poor college student who has learned his lesson and cant afford a dang traffic ticket right now.
Old 09-28-2002, 08:14 AM

i got pulled over cause the cop said my HIDs were green. I had just turned them on. Anyhow it was a fixit ticket, so I took it to a friend of mine at a garage, and he signed the fix it ticket. Sent it in and everything is square. This happened in maryland. I'm not sure what the laws are in your neck of the woods.
Old 09-28-2002, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by NISMO808
i got pulled over cause the cop said my HIDs were green. I had just turned them on. Anyhow it was a fixit ticket, so I took it to a friend of mine at a garage, and he signed the fix it ticket. Sent it in and everything is square. This happened in maryland. I'm not sure what the laws are in your neck of the woods.
So what would they say about my wifes IS300? When it fist turns on it is difinitely Blue, then it tuns white . This is stock by the way.
Old 09-28-2002, 12:56 PM

I dont get these laws too much myself. Yes we have afermarket lights which do have a slight blue or green tint to them, but then there are so many cars (almost all european or high end cars) that have HID or xenon headlights which are just as blue as ours, and yet they will never get pulled over. I think its just stupid if you ask me. We used to have a BMW 540i and those lights were quite blue coming at someone down the road....ah whatever laws dont make sense to me.
Old 09-28-2002, 02:08 PM

Say I got the citation signed by a mechanic and approved.
What would happen if I get pulled over again? Would I show the officer
the signed paper and all is well?