4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Max Owners with Aftermarket HIDs, please read!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002 | 04:43 AM

Max Owners with Aftermarket HIDs, please read!!!

OK, I got my McCulluch 6000k HIDs on Wednsday, very excited. Put them in...they do exactly what HIDs are suppose to do. My problem is, since they are so bright, they blind everyone, they look brighter than high beams. I tried adjusting the headlights, but no luck. I think i pointed them as far downward as I could, still too bright. I've had a number of people flash their high beams at me thinking that I have them on as well. I honestly think that the lights are still pointed a little too high. Is there a certain way to haev the bulb put in? Incase anyone wants to know, my HID bulbs are installed with that little stick addition on the bottom. What did you other Maxima owners who put HIDs in do? I just dont want to be stopped by cops because they say my lights are too bright and that they are blinding everyone. My friend told me that his friend has HIDs in his car, and when he went to turn them on, a cop was looking and the cop stopped. The cop asked to see the high beams and there were none. And then he got a ticket, tried to take it to court, and lost. WHat can we do? Any input would be appreciated. THANKS
Old 09-29-2002 | 06:00 AM

Re: Max Owners with Aftermarket HIDs, please read!!!

Originally posted by D1NOnly34
OK, I got my McCulluch 6000k HIDs on Wednsday, very excited. Put them in...they do exactly what HIDs are suppose to do. My problem is, since they are so bright, they blind everyone, they look brighter than high beams. I tried adjusting the headlights, but no luck. I think i pointed them as far downward as I could, still too bright. I've had a number of people flash their high beams at me thinking that I have them on as well. I honestly think that the lights are still pointed a little too high. Is there a certain way to haev the bulb put in? Incase anyone wants to know, my HID bulbs are installed with that little stick addition on the bottom. What did you other Maxima owners who put HIDs in do? I just dont want to be stopped by cops because they say my lights are too bright and that they are blinding everyone. My friend told me that his friend has HIDs in his car, and when he went to turn them on, a cop was looking and the cop stopped. The cop asked to see the high beams and there were none. And then he got a ticket, tried to take it to court, and lost. WHat can we do? Any input would be appreciated. THANKS
i think i read that you had to sand the bulbs for them to work. the bulb should fit in the housing without any work. this is 1 of the most important part of the kit. if the bulb is not centered in the middle of the housing it dosen't matter how low you aim your lights, you will always have that problem.

i sell the hanabi hid kit and most ppl adjust them a little lower. i my self have not adjusted my headlights at all and i have had many hid kits in my car.

i would go back and check the bulbs.

hope this helps.
Old 09-29-2002 | 06:10 AM

Re: Re: Max Owners with Aftermarket HIDs, please read!!!

Originally posted by 97GLES
i think i read that you had to sand the bulbs for them to work. the bulb should fit in the housing without any work. this is 1 of the most important part of the kit. if the bulb is not centered in the middle of the housing it dosen't matter how low you aim your lights, you will always have that problem.

i sell the hanabi hid kit and most ppl adjust them a little lower. i my self have not adjusted my headlights at all and i have had many hid kits in my car.

i would go back and check the bulbs.

hope this helps.

Thanks for the response. Yeah I did haev to sand the sides of the plastic that holds the bulb, but only a little bit. Even after I sanded it a little, It barely fit, but I didnt' mind because that meant it was a tighter squeeze, therefore it would be more secure, especicially adding that plastic turning capr after the bulb is intalled. I'm 99.9% sure that the bulbs are centered in the housing, I shined the HIDs on a wall and it was similar to the stock bulbs, and even those cheap hyperwhite bulbs I used to have. After lowering the headlights as much as I can, the lights are still blinding. I've still been tryign to search through the threads and it seems that many others have had the same problem with the blinding and what not, so I know its not just the type of bulb or manufacturer, etc... What I did find out is that, cars that come with HIDs stock wise (BMW's, LEXUS, s-2000), they have a "cutoff shield" on the bulb itself, which is why their lights have a notcieable line where the HID light ends. THATS WHAT WE ALL NEED. Freddie is there a way we can buy that or perhaps make one for the bulb withought hurting it? Thanks
Old 09-29-2002 | 06:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: Max Owners with Aftermarket HIDs, please read!!!

Thanks for the response. Yeah I did haev to sand the sides of the plastic that holds the bulb, but only a little bit. Even after I sanded it a little, It barely fit, but I didnt' mind because that meant it was a tighter squeeze, therefore it would be more secure, especicially adding that plastic turning capr after the bulb is intalled. I'm 99.9% sure that the bulbs are centered in the housing, I shined the HIDs on a wall and it was similar to the stock bulbs, and even those cheap hyperwhite bulbs I used to have. After lowering the headlights as much as I can, the lights are still blinding. I've still been tryign to search through the threads and it seems that many others have had the same problem with the blinding and what not, so I know its not just the type of bulb or manufacturer, etc... What I did find out is that, cars that come with HIDs stock wise (BMW's, LEXUS, s-2000), they have a "cutoff shield" on the bulb itself, which is why their lights have a notcieable line where the HID light ends. THATS WHAT WE ALL NEED. Freddie is there a way we can buy that or perhaps make one for the bulb withought hurting it? Thanks
what those car use is hid housing and most of them are projection housing and they still produce glare. as i see it we will not have them for the 4th gen. some ppl take bmw lights and install them in maxima housing. i for 1 don't like the look on a 4th gen.

www.custommaxima.com is coming out with projection housing for the 4th gen max but don't forget they are made for regular halogen bulbs not hids. i have done pleny of hids in projection housing for accords & civic and all that does is lose 1/2 of your lighting. most ppl that go with hids around here go back to oem housing.
Old 09-29-2002 | 06:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Max Owners with Aftermarket HIDs, please read!!!

what those car use is hid housing and most of them are projection housing and they still produce glare. as i see it we will not have them for the 4th gen. some ppl take bmw lights and install them in maxima housing. i for 1 don't like the look on a 4th gen.

www.custommaxima.com is coming out with projection housing for the 4th gen max but don't forget they are made for regular halogen bulbs not hids. i have done pleny of hids in projection housing for accords & civic and all that does is lose 1/2 of your lighting. most ppl that go with hids around here go back to oem housing.
I love my glass housing, butI still dont' know how to reduce the glare and to stop blinding people. Thats why I mentioned the "cutoff shield". I'll try to find a pic of it, but its like a peice of the actual HID bulb that is covered, adn what it does is that it "stops" the light produced by the HID from going crazy or too high. Thats why all these german cars thta have those HID systems have a noticeable point where the light ends, almost like a perfect line.
Old 09-29-2002 | 06:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Max Owners with Aftermarket HIDs, please read!!!

I love my glass housing, butI still dont' know how to reduce the glare and to stop blinding people. Thats why I mentioned the "cutoff shield". I'll try to find a pic of it, but its like a peice of the actual HID bulb that is covered, adn what it does is that it "stops" the light produced by the HID from going crazy or too high. Thats why all these german cars thta have those HID systems have a noticeable point where the light ends, almost like a perfect line.
hid housing make that cut-off line not the bulb.

the bulb that has the black stip on it is for hid housing only. the only bulb that has a shield is H4.
Old 09-29-2002 | 06:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Max Owners with Aftermarket HIDs, please read!!!

hid housing make that cut-off line not the bulb.

the bulb that has the black stip on it is for hid housing only. the only bulb that has a shield is H4.
Dam that sux...so then there is nothign we can do? I guess the flashing of high beams and the watchign out for cops will continue for a while then.
Old 09-29-2002 | 06:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Max Owners with Aftermarket HIDs, please read!!!

Dam that sux...so then there is nothign we can do? I guess the flashing of high beams and the watchign out for cops will continue for a while then.
i don't get flashed. 3 weeks ago i went to new kent VA and i had 3 cars following me almost all the way.

the only reason i look out for cops is because i'm running 8000k kit that has a blue to it but so far i haven't gotten stopped at all by cops. i'm waiting for the 7000k bulbs to come in. this will have less blue in it and i will forget about the cops.

in the last week and 1/2 i have been selling more 8000k kits than the 6000k kits. ppl just want that blue color, they love it.

i would check your bulbs 1 more time and make sure that the base of the bulb is flat on the housing. 1 year ago philips had the same problem with there bulbs.
Old 09-29-2002 | 09:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Max Owners with Aftermarket HIDs, please read!!!

Why does this happen?
Old 09-29-2002 | 10:37 AM
living out of a maxima...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Max Owners with Aftermarket HIDs, please read!!!

Yea my first HID ride was in a S2000 and that thing makes a near perfect line where the light cuts off. The car belongs to my uncle and he almost brought it back to the dealership because there was a little bump in the line and he wasn't sure if something was broken or not.

Does anyone know what kind of lights those are?
Old 09-29-2002 | 10:41 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

With all the glare that our lenses cause, I'm still surprised kit manufacturers still won't package the appropriate D2R instead of the D2S. The D2R has some amount of shielding on the 'bulb' itself because it is designed for "R"eflector style lights.
Old 09-29-2002 | 10:57 AM

Hey Freddie, can you read this http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=154790

You think theres a way I can exchange my kit for a more "legal looking" kit? Because I sure as heck will never go back to halogens
Old 09-29-2002 | 11:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

some ppl take bmw lights and install them in maxima housing.
Where can you find these? And these will reduce the glare from HID's? Can they be put on a 4th gen without modification?

Also, does this problem happen a lot with the Hanabi 6000k kits?
Old 09-29-2002 | 12:29 PM

Originally posted by djshawnee

Where can you find these? And these will reduce the glare from HID's? Can they be put on a 4th gen without modification?

Also, does this problem happen a lot with the Hanabi 6000k kits?
Is there anythign we can do to the stock housing to reduce glare? Also, will adding somethign to the bulb of the HID affect it in any way (ex: custom cut off shield)?
Old 09-29-2002 | 12:41 PM

Re: Max Owners with Aftermarket HIDs, please read!!!

[/B][/QUOTE] I just bought Xenon 9004 hyperwhite bulbs. Are those considered HID lights i just bought the bulbs on ebay for 9 dollars. Do i need any other equipment for the bulbs since i see alot of people talking about HID kits. Im confused?
Old 09-29-2002 | 12:57 PM

Freddie I need to get a 9006/9007 kit off you. I believe is the 9006 for low beams. My wife would like to get a set. Dont know what color but I will PM you for pricing etc...
Old 09-29-2002 | 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Chunger
With all the glare that our lenses cause, I'm still surprised kit manufacturers still won't package the appropriate D2R instead of the D2S. The D2R has some amount of shielding on the 'bulb' itself because it is designed for "R"eflector style lights.
What do D2R and D2S stand for?
Old 09-29-2002 | 01:59 PM

Originally posted by 99maximagxe
I just bought Xenon 9004 hyperwhite bulbs. Are those considered HID lights i just bought the bulbs on ebay for 9 dollars. Do i need any other equipment for the bulbs since i see alot of people talking about HID kits. Im confused? [/B][/QUOTE]

No, they're not HIDs.
Old 09-29-2002 | 03:29 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by tmkforever

What do D2R and D2S stand for?
PDF explanation
Old 09-29-2002 | 05:55 PM

get sprint springs and don't cut any rear coils...thats what i have on my ride and my HID's are aimed too low(but i still get flashed sometimes ) I would adjust them but i plan on cutting a coil on the rears soon enough so no reaiming yet.
Old 09-29-2002 | 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Chunger
Here's my bulb:

They do make D2R kits, but most people seem to buy 9004 D2S kits (i.e. Hanabi). It would help if we had more D2R kits to choose from as well as better threads that actually teach people about HIDs.
Automotive Lighting FAQ

It's also unforunate that most people want HIDs to have blue bulbs rather than better lighting. After having HIDs I'm glad I 1) got a true plug and play kit, 2) have D2Rs, and 3) have white lights rather than blue.
-hype
Old 09-29-2002 | 07:11 PM

So the D2R bulbs don't blind people as much? Are the D2R kits more expensive.... and where can I find them?
Old 09-29-2002 | 07:22 PM

So the D2R bulbs don't blind people as much? Are the D2R kits more expensive.... and where can I find them?
for those that have the 8000k kit and want less blue hanabi will be coming out with 7000k bulbs very soon.
Old 09-29-2002 | 07:23 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say they won't blind people as much, but they should help reduce some extraneous light output especially since our housings aren't designed for HIDs. If you look at the picture on my bulb you'll see a metallic "cover" of sorts.

Here's an except of a post from here
"From what I've heard the Hanabi bulbs (D2S) don't have the "bulb masking" like the Osram (D2R) bulbs do.

Above: top down, D2R and D2S"

Go read about HIDs and you'll feel much better about your purchase.
-hype
Old 09-29-2002 | 07:35 PM

sorry to hear that your hid kit is too bright. i have the same one. i got flashed maybe 3 times in 2 nights of driving. didnt adjust anything. and the bulb work only took like a minute on each one. just snip the plastic a little with wire snips. and there you go. well hope everything works out.
Old 09-29-2002 | 07:37 PM

What are some other D2R brands?

So there ias pretty much no way to get rid of the blinding of HID's in the Max.... without lots of modifications to the headlight housings? I just don't want cops giving me a hard time.
Old 09-29-2002 | 07:52 PM

What are some other D2R brands?

So there ias pretty much no way to get rid of the blinding of HID's in the Max.... without lots of modifications to the headlight housings? I just don't want cops giving me a hard time.
i guess cali is really strict
Old 09-29-2002 | 07:58 PM

Originally posted by 96shogunmax
the bulb work only took like a minute on each one. just snip the plastic a little with wire snips. and there you go.
does this help brightness/glare or something?
Old 09-29-2002 | 07:59 PM

does this help brightness/glare or something?
umm..no its what i had to do to get it to go into the headlight. nothing to do with that.
Old 09-29-2002 | 08:13 PM

Originally posted by 96shogunmax

umm..no its what i had to do to get it to go into the headlight. nothing to do with that.
so does McColluch make a 9004 D2R bulb?? if they do then ill send you the money order.

Ant
Old 09-29-2002 | 08:14 PM

Originally posted by xHypex

Here's my bulb:

They do make D2R kits, but most people seem to buy 9004 D2S kits (i.e. Hanabi). It would help if we had more D2R kits to choose from as well as better threads that actually teach people about HIDs.
Automotive Lighting FAQ

It's also unforunate that most people want HIDs to have blue bulbs rather than better lighting. After having HIDs I'm glad I 1) got a true plug and play kit, 2) have D2Rs, and 3) have white lights rather than blue.
-hype
so who else makes a D2R 9004 kit besides Osram?? Im hoping that McCullochs makes one cause i have the money right here waiting to be sent.

and when you install the D2R bulbs im assuming that the "shield" should be on top when you pop them in?

Ant
Old 09-29-2002 | 08:14 PM

Originally posted by ny96max

so does McColluch make a 9004 D2R bulb?? if they do then ill send you the money order.

Ant
did you get that last email i sent you. it said what the bulb was.
Old 09-29-2002 | 08:52 PM

External fix. . .

Can't believe no one's mentioned this yet. . .

Consider getting a set of the "eyelids" second-hand or from www.customaxima.com. (http://www.custommaxima.com/Eyelids.htm)

Depending on how you feel about these aesthetically on your car, (personally, I don't care for the "new" Gen II design) they may be just what you need to reduce glare from the top part of the beam.

Another option (if you're handy with measuring, making templates, cutting with X-acto knives, etc.), would be to get some adhesive backed vinyl material (sold in sheets/rolls) in the color/design of your choice & make your own "lids." All kinds of colors are available as well as carbon fiber patterns, etc.

You really have to be good at this though, or it will look hack. If you are, then it may be a more cost effective way to go (except that it will cost you your time).

Good luck!

Old 09-29-2002 | 09:05 PM

Originally posted by 99maximagxe
I just bought Xenon 9004 hyperwhite bulbs. Are those considered HID lights i just bought the bulbs on ebay for 9 dollars. Do i need any other equipment for the bulbs since i see alot of people talking about HID kits. Im confused? [/B][/QUOTE]

No those are just the cheap bulbs that say "closest you'll ever get to the real thing" on them. The lights we are talking abotu are actual kits just like the BMW's, LEXUS, MErcedes, etc.... these cost at least $350
Old 09-30-2002 | 05:42 AM

If you're asking about why HID kits don't work in some projector housings >>

Originally posted by tmkforever

Why does this happen?
It is because those Honda projector kits use a projector meant for the H3 bulb.
Old 09-30-2002 | 05:46 AM

D1NOnly34, you've figured out part of the problem >>

What I did find out is that, cars that come with HIDs stock wise (BMW's, LEXUS, s-2000), they have a "cutoff shield" on the bulb itself, which is why their lights have a notcieable line where the HID light ends. THATS WHAT WE ALL NEED.
Besides cutting off the light coming from the bulb, the reflector has to match the bulb properly.
Old 09-30-2002 | 06:21 AM

Re: If you're asking about why HID kits don't work in some projector housings >>

Originally posted by Albertt

It is because those Honda projector kits use a projector meant for the H3 bulb.
And what bulb are they using?
Old 09-30-2002 | 07:16 AM

What is the difference between D2R and D2S?
The main difference is the U-shaped masking on the D2R that blocks out unpredictable light in certain directions. Also, the base has different notches. D2R was developed so that Mercedes could still use their reflector based headlights. They did not want use projectors like BMW. A glare box inside the headlight could have been used, but a mask painted on the bulb must have been cheaper to make. Using a D2R in anything else than a OEM HID headlight designed for the D2R bulb makes no sense. It will only reduce output. Some HID kits comes with D2R bulbs. Some amateur kit designers will even claim that D2R genrally reduces glare in a retrofit. This is nonsense. The D2R bulb masking is around 3-4 a'clock and 8-9 o'clock when bulb is in right position. Those are not the (only) sectors that creates glare.
As an example, here is the data on Philips 2 versions:
D2S: 3200lm, 4250K, 91lm/W, 35W
D2R: 2800lm, 4150K, 80lm/W, 35W
Old 09-30-2002 | 07:58 AM

Originally posted by xHypex
What is the difference between D2R and D2S?
The main difference is the U-shaped masking on the D2R that blocks out unpredictable light in certain directions. Also, the base has different notches. D2R was developed so that Mercedes could still use their reflector based headlights. They did not want use projectors like BMW. A glare box inside the headlight could have been used, but a mask painted on the bulb must have been cheaper to make. Using a D2R in anything else than a OEM HID headlight designed for the D2R bulb makes no sense. It will only reduce output. Some HID kits comes with D2R bulbs. Some amateur kit designers will even claim that D2R genrally reduces glare in a retrofit. This is nonsense. The D2R bulb masking is around 3-4 a'clock and 8-9 o'clock when bulb is in right position. Those are not the (only) sectors that creates glare.
As an example, here is the data on Philips 2 versions:
D2S: 3200lm, 4250K, 91lm/W, 35W
D2R: 2800lm, 4150K, 80lm/W, 35W
so your saying a D2R and a D2S bulbs will look the same in a max?

if thats the case i may not go HID then. Unless i make a set of eyelids out of those clear GTS headlight covers... hmm?

Ant
Old 09-30-2002 | 10:31 AM

Originally posted by ny96max

so your saying a D2R and a D2S bulbs will look the same in a max?

if thats the case i may not go HID then. Unless i make a set of eyelids out of those clear GTS headlight covers... hmm?

Ant
I just wanted to post a response from the Automotive lighting FAQ (unbiased). HIDs are great, but if anything I would go with D2R bulbs. D2R is designed for reflector headlights, but it's true that any HID will not have a great beam pattern since our headlights weren't designed for them. The shield should cut down some light output, and D2Rs are also 400 fewer lumens which should help somewhat.

If you want an unobtrusive HID setup go with a 4300 or 4800K kit which will look white to oncoming traffic as well as on the ground. D2R is probably slightly preferrable to D2S, but regardless you will have to adjust your lights down. If we had projector housings life would be much easier (and we would have high beams)
-hype

Quick Reply: Max Owners with Aftermarket HIDs, please read!!!