4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

13's NA possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 09:39 AM
All Black Max

13's NA possible?

I'm not one to make posts like this, but I'm really curious how difficult it would be for my 96 SE to run 13's NA?

I have a Place Racing CAI, and have on order a MEVI, WSP y and b pipe, carsound cat and magnaflow muffler. The car runs 15.0x's @ 90 stock. Would this be enough for high 13's @ 98-99 traps?

I'm thinking that I would need a clutch soon after. Don't really want to lighten the car much more then removing the spare and jack.

Thanks,

Doug D
Old 10-01-2002, 09:48 AM

There are a few 14.1's now. Maybe with colder weather and now MEVI's you will see some soon. Also if the JWT cams produce decent gains there may be a few to drop even closer then.

SuDZ
Old 10-01-2002, 09:48 AM
Sin

Re: 13's NA possible?

Originally posted by DougsfastZ
I'm not one to make posts like this, but I'm really curious how difficult it would be for my 96 SE to run 13's NA?

I have a Place Racing CAI, and have on order a MEVI, WSP y and b pipe, carsound cat and magnaflow muffler. The car runs 15.0x's @ 90 stock. Would this be enough for high 13's @ 98-99 traps?

I'm thinking that I would need a clutch soon after. Don't really want to lighten the car much more then removing the spare and jack.

Thanks,

Doug D
Sorry, but I doubt those mods alone will get you into the 13's. Expect to cut deep into the 14's, but unless all conditions are downright perfect (temp, altitude, humidity, etc), I doubt you'll get into the 13's with the things you have listed.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:56 AM

Thanks,

Doug D
I think it will be close. I think one thing that would help is an ACT clutch. But, depending on your elevation and weather conditions...and track conditions...It will be close. Nealoc187 is really close...I think I could probalby hit it if I had a 1/4 mile track near me, but it is all depending on weather and elevation I think would be the big hinderance and having the JWT would help you out also. But, I think you would be really close. I plan on taking a road trip to a track the middle of this month to see how well I fair but my elevation is really high her in NM. So, I don't know if 13's are realistic for me especially with no close track to practice, but I hope I get close. I'll post what I get when I go. But, you'll be pretty close to 13's with those mods...but a clutch is definitely something I would invest in if I were you. Just to hold the new power you will have.

-John
Old 10-01-2002, 04:29 PM

Re: Re: 13's NA possible?

Mr Cranman: Noticed you don't have an ECU listed as a mod. Did you decide not to go that route? i think the blue ran a 14.1 with those mods plus a chip but no VI, so maybe ???
Old 10-01-2002, 05:34 PM

every mod in the book, or slicks and 100 shot, or turbo...
Old 10-01-2002, 07:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You've got all the right stuff. Several guys (Dave B Nealoc and others) here have just about your setup and are trying to get there. Maybe add a tough clutch to better your launch, JWT ECU to extend the redline, and maybe a UDP to fatten the power curve, and you'd have the best bet to breaking 13s NA.

If I could only chose one of those additions, I guees I would go with the JWT, b/c, especially with the MEVI, it'll help you in every gear the most. The clutch, unless its severely worn, will really only help your launch. The UDP will help throughout as well, but the JWT/MEVI combo will do more. Of course it costs, too. Decisions, decisions.

DW

Thanks,

Doug D
Old 10-01-2002, 11:25 PM
SLOW

You are going to need slicks to come close to 13s with that combo unless you are like rudy aka VQdriver, which I can guarantee you aren't. That man can launch a max like no other.

Like some others have said, a JWT ECU will go a long way towards getting you into the 13s when used with an MEVI. Mr.Cranman has the best setup right now to hit 13s, but unfortunately he lives in an area where I don't think its going to be possible, he's simply at too high an altitude.

BTW no theblue did not run a 14.1 he ran 14.28, and yes he was on street tires. Theblue is a good driver as well.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:55 AM

if you have nitrous, your call will still be considered NA : )........sheding a few lbs off the car would help as well.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
You are going to need slicks to come close to 13s with that combo unless you are like rudy aka VQdriver, which I can guarantee you aren't. That man can launch a max like no other.

Like some others have said, a JWT ECU will go a long way towards getting you into the 13s when used with an MEVI. Mr.Cranman has the best setup right now to hit 13s, but unfortunately he lives in an area where I don't think its going to be possible, he's simply at too high an altitude.

BTW no theblue did not run a 14.1 he ran 14.28, and yes he was on street tires. Theblue is a good driver as well.
neal, i'm flattered when you say that. thanks for the compliment. all i can say to anyone who races is to keep trying and practice. i think anyone can run a 13 second run. the difference between a 14.1 and a 14.5 could be the timing of the clutch pedal everytime it's released. all you need are good conditions and good feel for the car. man i hope somebody here runs 13's real soon. it's like a volcano waiting to erupt. come on guys, 13's isn't even that "fast," but it's exciting when it's a goal that not too many people can come close to.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:35 AM
E36 ETR

13's can be done...

Guys... I have seen a lot of slips and I thinkg 13's can be dont with no problem but the key is the 60' time...

If you guys look at your best e.t. and then some other slips I am sure you can find a slip with a better 60' foot on it. Now if you had your best 60' then for the rest of the ride theoreticly you should have a higher trap speed which would make for a lower E.T... I have not been on the track much but I have broken 14's with a bad 60' and I have had a GREAT 60' with a bad e.t. due to a missed shift.

In a nutshell... I think if you have a well modded car.. bolt ons... have the ACT clutch (mine will be here in Wednesday the 3rd thanks Alex at Southwest) lighten her up a bit.... 13's can be done!

Thats my 2 cents...
-Jeremy
Old 10-02-2002, 07:01 AM
All Black Max

I seem to be getting a handle on the short times with the car, 2.2x's consistanly, at the stock power level. I don't know what will be in store with the added power of the mods, but this is my first front wheel drive car, so I'll learn I hoping to cut at least 2.1x's or even 2.0'x with the added power.

I don't have to worry about the elevation problem here in south Florida. Moroso is 16 feet above sea level The humidity is something to worry about (going down as fall rolls in).

Also, what does the JWT ECU do for extra power? Lean it out? Add timing? Does it keep the car streetable?

Thanks,

Doug D
Old 10-02-2002, 08:10 AM

I seem to be getting a handle on the short times with the car, 2.2x's consistanly, at the stock power level. I don't know what will be in store with the added power of the mods, but this is my first front wheel drive car, so I'll learn I hoping to cut at least 2.1x's or even 2.0'x with the added power.

I don't have to worry about the elevation problem here in south Florida. Moroso is 16 feet above sea level The humidity is something to worry about (going down as fall rolls in).

Also, what does the JWT ECU do for extra power? Lean it out? Add timing? Does it keep the car streetable?

Thanks,

Doug D
For the extra power it leans out the mixture...and also helps with the timing. It does keep the car streetable and the nice advantage is when you have the VI it allows you to take full advantage of the power the VI gives you. A perfect combo if you ask me.

-John
Old 10-02-2002, 08:16 AM

I agree with you about the setup...I think I'm a 13's second car but at this altitude and not having driving experience at the track I doubt that I'll get into the 13's...but I'm still going to give it a whirl. But, I think once Nealoc gets an ECU or the weather cools he'll be the first in the 13's.

-John
Old 10-11-2002, 02:41 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

Originally posted by VQdriver
neal, i'm flattered when you say that. thanks for the compliment. all i can say to anyone who races is to keep trying and practice. i think anyone can run a 13 second run. the difference between a 14.1 and a 14.5 could be the timing of the clutch pedal everytime it's released. all you need are good conditions and good feel for the car. man i hope somebody here runs 13's real soon. it's like a volcano waiting to erupt. come on guys, 13's isn't even that "fast," but it's exciting when it's a goal that not too many people can come close to.
VQ, is there any tips or pointers you like to share with the rest of us to launch better other than practice, practice, practice. Anything special that you are doing? I live too high to accomplish a 13s slip but I would like to at least do better than a 16.1 (w/only intake but also 18 in rims).

I know its there if I could get a better start. I had a few mid and low .500 reaction times but somehow never seems to get of the line as fast as I want to. I know there are reasons like clutch and tires that could slow me down but it would be nice to improve...
I still have more mods plan but being low in the $$$ department has cause to delay on them.
Anyways, another question I have is when getting a MEVI, can this mod be install easily or do I have to take it to a shop and have them do it. If it can be down like a weekend project, is there instruction or writeup on it?
Old 10-11-2002, 05:44 AM

Originally posted by jcy98maxse

VQ, is there any tips or pointers you like to share with the rest of us to launch better other than practice, practice, practice. Anything special that you are doing? I live too high to accomplish a 13s slip but I would like to at least do better than a 16.1 (w/only intake but also 18 in rims).

I know its there if I could get a better start. I had a few mid and low .500 reaction times but somehow never seems to get of the line as fast as I want to. I know there are reasons like clutch and tires that could slow me down but it would be nice to improve...
I still have more mods plan but being low in the $$$ department has cause to delay on them.
Anyways, another question I have is when getting a MEVI, can this mod be install easily or do I have to take it to a shop and have them do it. If it can be down like a weekend project, is there instruction or writeup on it?
i would hold the rpms to bet 1,500-2,000rpm. when the third yellow lights, rapidly drop the clutch and add almost full throttle...you want to do it so you chirp off the line but don't spin unnecessarily. you also don't want to hear the engine bog down as that will slow you down as well. i shift into 2nd at an indicated 6,600rpm and into third at an indicated 6,200rpm. sometimes i run out of third and have to shift into 4th. that would also take place at an indicated 6,200rpm. i've noticed that with the addition of the ECU i've had to shift into 4th. i might experiment with redline shifts again. shift as quickly as possible. some people powershift, but i actually lift off the throttle. i don't lift a whole lot so the RPMs don't drop. shift as quickly and smoothly as humanly possible. visualize in your head and practice at a standstill. hope this helps.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:45 AM

Originally posted by jcy98maxse

There is a write up on how to do it yourself, located here http://www.vanillaice.com/webmasters/hype/mrc/mevi.htm. I think it is easy...just a little time consuming. It all depends on how car savvy you are. But installing the VI is straight forward.

-John
Old 10-11-2002, 10:51 AM
SLOW

Your reaction time has absolutlely nothing to do with your time. You can cut a .500 light or you can sit on the line for 15 seconds and then go, it won't affect your time in the slightest.

People can explain their launch technique to you, but without getting out there and trying it and seeing what works best for you, you aren't going to improve. I've tried VQdrivers launch style and it didn't work for me. On street tires, I hold the RPM at 2500 and do a very quick slip, almost a clutch dump. Modulating the clutch and throttle is key to getting the best 60' times, but you can't learn that by reading. It either comes naturally or you have to practice at it, alot.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:42 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

Your reaction time has absolutlely nothing to do with your time. You can cut a .500 light or you can sit on the line for 15 seconds and then go, it won't affect your time in the slightest.

People can explain their launch technique to you, but without getting out there and trying it and seeing what works best for you, you aren't going to improve. I've tried VQdrivers launch style and it didn't work for me. On street tires, I hold the RPM at 2500 and do a very quick slip, almost a clutch dump. Modulating the clutch and throttle is key to getting the best 60' times, but you can't learn that by reading. It either comes naturally or you have to practice at it, alot.
I know I need to get more practice but its also nice to see so of the technique peopel are using. Thanx for all the help, this spring I'll have plenty of chances.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:46 PM
All Black Max

I would have to agree with Nealoc. The only way to find out is to try yourself. I actually use a very similar technique that Nealoc uses except at 2700 rpm. The car hops two or three times and I cut 2.2x shorts. I went to the track this past wed and tried a 3000 rpm clutch slip, to remove the wheel hop, didn't work, only could cut 2.3x's. I also found, with any car, for any time you cut on your short multiply it by 2 or 3 times on the long end. For me, if I cut a 2.35 short, the car will run will typically run a 15.3x. But if I cut a 2.25, the car will run a 15.1x. Shorts are VERY importart. On the flip side, if I cut a 15.3x, it will MPH better. Thats because by not ETing as good, you have more time on the track (tenths of a second) to pick up more MPH. My car will typically trap 91 with a 15.2x or 15.3x, but only trap 90 with a 15.1 or 15.0.

Every car is different, make 10-20 passes and you'll find what works best.

Doug D
Old 10-14-2002, 02:00 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Originally posted by Mr Cranman

There is a write up on how to do it yourself, located here http://www.vanillaice.com/webmasters/hype/mrc/mevi.htm. I think it is easy...just a little time consuming. It all depends on how car savvy you are. But installing the VI is straight forward.

-John
the link is wrong, anywhere else?? I found it on another thread but I couldn't save the link cuz I was at school.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:08 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I found out that launching at the track is all about practice. No matter how many threads I read or how many times people told me how they launch it takes time.
I had my first day at the track a few weekends ago and did not pull a 2.28 60" untill my 5th run. Then I missed 3rd which negated the good launch. I have driven a stick basically my whole life and consider my self pretty damn good at diving a stick. It's totally different when you go the the track. I can't tell you the last time I missed a gear while driving on regular roads, but the first time at the track I missed 3rd 4 times. I think alot of it was nerves.
I really look forward to the next time I go. I know I will do much better.