4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

WTF is wrong with my HYBRID? Hoses "blow off" every time I drive!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 06:00 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

WTF is wrong with my HYBRID? Hoses "blow off" every time I drive!!!

Well, as stated in past threads, I installed my hybrid portion of a PR CAI this weekend. I had numerous problems, and last night was the last straw.

The large upper hose (stock) was too short, so I replaced it (76 cents).
The vaccum hose was fine, and the crankcase hose (stock) was fine. So far so good.

The install was easy, but when I got my couplers and breeze clamps one of the couplers was not the same as the other 2. Two of them were black and glossy, and hd orange-brown linings; the other one was a flat black (looked like tire rubber) and was unlined. I figured it was not a big deal, and installed the ugly one closest to the throttle body, since that was where it would be seen the least.

I installed it Saturday morning as a hybrid (no tools to cut the fender- I was going to do that this weekend). By Saturday evening, the coupler had slipped and the whole thing was sagging, allowing the end of the cone to vibrate against the wheelwell and annoying the p!$$ out of me. I stopped in a parking lot and tightened it up. All hoses were still tight.

Sunday I did not drive anywhere.

Mondy, I drove to work. By lunchtime, the filter/MAF section had sagged again and was vibrating. Retightened, and noticed that the CC hose was disconnected. Reconnect hose. Notice that vacuum line is disconnected. Reconnect vacuum line. Drive home from work. Hear vibrating, open hood at home, same symptoms. Same remedy.

Tuesday I drive to work. No problems. Drive home, here we go again: filter/MAF section had sagged again and was vibrating, CC hose was disconnected, vacuum line is disconnected. Reconnect and tighten everything.

Wednesday: Same symptoms. Same results. Removed Hybrid.

So here is the question: Why are the hoses and lines disconnecting when I drive? The one hose that I replaced is fine. The other two seem to fit snug, have plenty of slack, and STILL "blow off" or work loose in everyday driving. I have removed the hybrid until I figure it out. I knw that the coupler is not gripping well, which is why it is removed (I was going to swap it for the glossy rubber one that I was saving for the lower CAI tube), but that has nothing to do with the other hoses flopping around. What a F'ing mess.

Any thoughts, guys? Running stock is DEFINATELY quieter than w/ the hybrid, but there is no real low-end loss w/ the hybrid, considering my before-after-before testing. The midrange w/ the hybrid is greatly improved, and the inclusion of the lower CAI pipe would have only enhanced my low-end while maintaining the mid-range. I would like to put it back on, but this is a big pain in my @$$ to deal with when I have to reconnect everything every time I drive...
Old 10-03-2002, 06:17 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I used black zip ties to hold my filter in place. One on top to keep it from sagging and one on bottom to keep it from bouncing. They are not noticeable at all. As for as your hose connections, I used the same fasteners that were on originally with my new heater hose. Put a breather filter on my crank case instead of the hose.
I have been following your posts and have never seen such problems with an intake before. Hope you figure things out.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:24 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by I30tMikeD
I used black zip ties to hold my filter in place. One on top to keep it from sagging and one on bottom to keep it from bouncing. They are not noticeable at all.
Good idea. If I reinstall it as a hybrid, I will have to do this (why didn't I think of that???)

As for as your hose connections, I used the same fasteners that were on originally with my new heater hose. Put a breather filter on my crank case instead of the hose.
I also reused the clamps. I think that the breather filter may be a remedy that I can use, though I may try to replace the lower hose w/ heater hose cut to length. Despite the fact that it SEEMS to work with the stock hose, I think that the bends in the hose may be causing me problems. For another $0.76, I am not wasting much $ if I am wrong...

I have been following your posts and have never seen such problems with an intake before. Hope you figure things out.
Me neither. It is ridiculous! I finally GET an intake and it is all messed up. Actually, nothing is wrong w/ the intake, just the application/installation!

What about the small vacuum hose- does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 10-03-2002, 07:28 AM

What size heater hose are you using. If I remember correctly, I got 3/4 inch.
Maybe they come loose because of the movement of the filter and MAF? Although you said the filter was loose once and hoses were still attached.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:33 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by I30tMikeD
What size heater hose are you using. If I remember correctly, I got 3/4 inch.
Maybe they come loose because of the movement of the filter and MAF? Although you said the filter was loose once and hoses were still attached.
The hose that I replaced (because it was clearly too short) NEVER came loose, only the reused stock hoses came loose. I was thinking about replacing the CC hose (the loose one) with the same 3/4" heater hose that I used to replace the upper one.

I can deal with that problem (theoretically) by replacing that lower hose. But the VACUUM LINE hose is the one that perplexes me. I have to really shove that thing onto the fixture to get it on there. I have it (the fixture) buried in the vacuum tub all the way to where the rubber tube almost touches the midpipe and it STILL works its way off...and it is a VACUUM line!
Old 10-03-2002, 08:02 AM

when making my mid pipe, the vaccumm hose also slipt off often....i was gonna use some silicon, but feared it would cover the hole off, so what i just did was got a small enuff clamp, clamped it down around the nipple, so that its not actually restricting any flow thru the hose, and its been fine since then.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:28 AM

what kind of piping did u use
Old 10-03-2002, 11:06 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by iregula
what kind of piping did u use
It is the midpipe section of a Place Racing CAI. I was going to do the CAI part of the setup this weekend, but don't want to risk it causing problems when the hoses disconnect, so I removed the whole setup until I get more information and can get the bugs worked out...
Old 10-03-2002, 11:15 AM

It seems to me that if the vacuum and breather hoses come loose and that causes your filter to flop around, that you do not have a metal bracket securing your filter/MAF to the body of the car. Perhaps it is this motion which causes the hoses to pop off to begin with. My JWT cone came with a little bracket, and I'm sure you can fashion one on the cheap from home depot or just use the plastic zip ties like the post above suggested.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:26 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by Eric L.
It seems to me that if the vacuum and breather hoses come loose and that causes your filter to flop around, that you do not have a metal bracket securing your filter/MAF to the body of the car. Perhaps it is this motion which causes the hoses to pop off to begin with. My JWT cone came with a little bracket, and I'm sure you can fashion one on the cheap from home depot or just use the plastic zip ties like the post above suggested.
You are correct- The filter flops around b/c it is not secured to anything. If I re-use this assembly as a hybrid, I will definately fix it to stop this through the use of either zip ties or a metal bracket like you described. The hoses may come lose due to the excessive flopping around. This makes a lot of sense for the large CC hose, but I am still puzzled about the vacuum hose. I am going to have to clamp it somehow...
Old 10-03-2002, 11:59 AM

Breather filter instead of CC hose. Small clamp on vaccum hose, like Jamsan said. Zip ties to keep it all in place. Should fix all your problems.
Make sure get or use the long zip ties. The bottom connection took two ties connected to be long enough.
Old 10-03-2002, 12:23 PM

if i could find my friggin usb adapater for my digi cam, id take pictures of my whole setup, including the clamps, hoses, and my custom supporting bracket....but who knows where the little darn balck wire is
Old 10-03-2002, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Jamsan
if i could find my friggin usb adapater for my digi cam, id take pictures of my whole setup, including the clamps, hoses, and my custom supporting bracket....but who knows where the little darn balck wire is
this is the best I can do.