4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cruise Contorl Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 04:43 PM

Cruise Contorl Problems

I have a 1997 Maxima GXE. About a week ago I got my 60K checkup from Nissan Dealer. Besides the usual stuff they check and change, I needed brakes front and aft. They changed pads and serviced the rotors. I picked the car up and drove it for a week. Everything worked fine. Yesterday I decided to use the cruise control on the highway. I turned the cruise switch on and the green light came on. I then tried to engage the cruise control using the button on the steering wheel. The cruise indicator on the dash lit up but started to blink.
The cruise control never engaged. I complained to the Nissan Dealer that the cruise control worked before I brought the car in. He said to bring it in and it will be checked out. After work tonight I tried it again on the highway (60mph)and it worked. I said "What da?". I disengaged it with the dash switch and tried it again after about 10 miles driving. It worked again. I disengaged it again by hitting the brake. I tried it a third time and, to my dismay, it would not engage. The cruise indicator on the dash just blinked away. Anyone ever have this kind of problem? Any help
appreciated.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:25 PM

same here

this same thing happened to me one time when i was going down the interstate. i had cruise engaged and i hit the brakes and it turned off but the light started to blink. i thought this could be a trouble code or something like that but the haynes manual didnt say anything so im not sure whats up?....anyone else have info on this?
Old 10-04-2002, 04:19 PM

Been There

I had this problem and lived with it on my 99 for several months because it was exaggerated during cold weather but when it was warm it rarely happened. I mentioned it during a trip to the dealer for an unrelated issue and they told me they would have to replace the instrument panel (if I remember correctly). It was horrendously expensive, and I had 38,000 miles on my 99 (just out of warranty) so I pled my case that it has been a problem way before 36,000 miles. They replaced it for free. It took several days because they had to have my new odometer set to my mileage.
Old 10-05-2002, 10:53 AM

Re: same here

Originally posted by praetorian300
this same thing happened to me one time when i was going down the interstate. i had cruise engaged and i hit the brakes and it turned off but the light started to blink. i thought this could be a trouble code or something like that but the haynes manual didnt say anything so im not sure whats up?....anyone else have info on this?
Thanks for the feedback. On my way home yesterday (10/04/02) I tried cruise again. It blinked again. At the toll booth, I stopped to pay my dues but then popped my foot off the brake pedal to let it snap back hard. Down the road when traffic allowed, I turned the cruise switch on and it engaged. I then turned off the cruise by turning off the switch and drove on for about a mile. I then switched on the cruise and hit the button on the steering wheel again. It connected again. I then hit the brake pedal to disconnect the cruise while the cruise switch was still on and showing a green light. When I tried to engage the cruise again, the panel indicator started blinking at me and would not engage. I was traveling about 55-60 mph during all of these attempts, and the temperature was about the same (70-80 F.). I am still clueless.
Old 10-05-2002, 11:11 AM

Re: Been There

Originally posted by pre2k
I had this problem and lived with it on my 99 for several months because it was exaggerated during cold weather but when it was warm it rarely happened. I mentioned it during a trip to the dealer for an unrelated issue and they told me they would have to replace the instrument panel (if I remember correctly). It was horrendously expensive, and I had 38,000 miles on my 99 (just out of warranty) so I pled my case that it has been a problem way before 36,000 miles. They replaced it for free. It took several days because they had to have my new odometer set to my mileage.
Thanks for the feedback. This problem happened in the same type of weather temps before and after visiting my Nissan dealer for the 60K checkup. I hope the problem you had will not visit me. I now have 54.6K miles on this bad boy and I hope there is a less expensive solution to this problem. I love my Max '97. It will be a classic someday. I hope to own it for another 20 years. I will be seeing my Nissan dealer for a recall on the alternator. Without having to spend my money, I'll ask him what might be the problem. On the 60K checkup, they did full injector service, throttle body service, changed all drive belts, along with changing transmission fluid and filter, antifreeze, and lastly, new brake pads front and back along with dressing up the rotors.
I hope I can get this problem resolved soon. If I do, I'll share it with the board.