4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Making a functional ram air hoodscoop

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 01:37 AM

Making a functional ram air hoodscoop

I have been doing some major work to my maxima for the past couple of weeks and decided on custommolding a functional scoop on my maxima. My air filter will sit right below it in the area where the battery used to be (has been relocated to the trunk). I have been looking for a while on what type of scoop I should use and finally came up with an idea. I'm getting a Talon/Eclipse hood and cutting the hump off of it. It's subtle looking since it will be very low. I'm thinking of cutting the front part of the hump off to make an opening and molding it to my hood. What do you guys think of the idea? Any input would be appreciated!
Old 10-08-2002, 10:40 AM

I've seen a 3rd gen with a scoop but are there any 4 geners out there with one? Anyone have pics of this?
Old 10-08-2002, 10:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://www.cardomain.com/id/twistedmax
Old 10-08-2002, 11:24 AM

I GOT ONE!

IT WORKS!IT WAS FULLY FUNCTIONAL untill,i got the cold air intake. now its just looks. i need to remove one of my foglights to make somthing new.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:47 PM

Re: I GOT ONE!

Originally posted by TWISTEDMAX
IT WORKS!IT WAS FULLY FUNCTIONAL untill,i got the cold air intake. now its just looks. i need to remove one of my foglights to make somthing new.
twistedmax did you have any problem w/ water gettin in the scoop b/c what im thinkin is that its real easy for water to get in there and get into the intake
Old 10-08-2002, 12:55 PM

Re: Re: I GOT ONE!

A little rain won't hurt the motor, it actually may help clean the insides a little, too. It's the GULPING of a large amount of H20 at one moment that'll seize the engine.

DW

Originally posted by tbannon

twistedmax did you have any problem w/ water gettin in the scoop b/c what im thinkin is that its real easy for water to get in there and get into the intake
Old 10-08-2002, 01:01 PM

Re: Making a functional ram air hoodscoop

Originally posted by 97maximase5spd
I have been doing some major work to my maxima for the past couple of weeks and decided on custommolding a functional scoop on my maxima. My air filter will sit right below it in the area where the battery used to be (has been relocated to the trunk). I have been looking for a while on what type of scoop I should use and finally came up with an idea. I'm getting a Talon/Eclipse hood and cutting the hump off of it. It's subtle looking since it will be very low. I'm thinking of cutting the front part of the hump off to make an opening and molding it to my hood. What do you guys think of the idea? Any input would be appreciated!
Very cool idea. What about doing something like twistedmax's, but turning it backwards. this will create a kind of low pressure/high pressure difference and effectively suck out hot air rather than push cold air in......just a thought.
Old 10-08-2002, 01:24 PM

Re: Re: Making a functional ram air hoodscoop

I was thinking that, too, but once you look at the airflow thru the engine bay, the major airflow comes in thru the grille and front air dam. The only way for all that air to exit is underneath the car. So, the reverse scoop would go against all that flow, probably not acheiving much. The forward facing scoop would work in harmony with the flow. At least, that's what I think.

DW

Originally posted by Str8ridin

Very cool idea. What about doing something like twistedmax's, but turning it backwards. this will create a kind of low pressure/high pressure difference and effectively suck out hot air rather than push cold air in......just a thought.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:46 PM

Re: Re: I GOT ONE!

I checked your site twistedmax. You're quite the pimp man. I'm gonna be putting a flap that you can flip up to close up the scoop in heavy rain. What scoop did you mold yours out of?
Old 10-08-2002, 06:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: I GOT ONE!

Originally posted by dwapenyi
A little rain won't hurt the motor, it actually may help clean the insides a little, too. It's the GULPING of a large amount of H20 at one moment that'll seize the engine.

DW

clean your engine???
Old 10-08-2002, 06:42 PM

i was also looking at doing this but my scoop will most likely be something that sits in the center of the hood.

Trevor
Old 10-08-2002, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
i was also looking at doing this but my scoop will most likely be something that sits in the center of the hood.

Trevor
I was trying to do the same initially but the way our cars are set up, it wouldn't do anything performancewise.. It would look nicer cosmetically
Old 10-08-2002, 07:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I GOT ONE!

Yeah, clean your engine. A little water vapor gets in, heated to steam during the combustion process. Internal steam cleaning sort of thing. There's even a process where you un-plug a vacuum line, feed water in cautiously, being careful not to overwhelm and kill the motor.

DW

Originally posted by Kashoggio
clean your engine???
Old 10-08-2002, 08:03 PM

I was trying to do the same initially but the way our cars are set up, it wouldn't do anything performancewise.. It would look nicer cosmetically
wouldn't a scoop give you more cold air in the engine giving your intake colder air, thus givin more HP. Isn't it the same basic concept of CAI w/out gettin the CAI. Please correct me if im wrong
Old 10-08-2002, 08:57 PM

i still think it would help a little. i might end up doing the thing above the intake but i really like the look of a middle scoop or even 2 scoops on each side of the hood....
Old 10-08-2002, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
i still think it would help a little. i might end up doing the thing above the intake but i really like the look of a middle scoop or even 2 scoops on each side of the hood....
Try to find an old 300zx twin turbo hood scoop. They don't look to bad. It might be the look you want. Good luck!
Old 10-08-2002, 10:48 PM

wouldn't a scoop give you more cold air in the engine giving your intake colder air, thus givin more HP. Isn't it the same basic concept of CAI w/out gettin the CAI. Please correct me if im wrong
Yes and no. Unless the intake is right below the scoop getting the air ramed into it, it won't do much good. A scoop in the middle would be right above the engine block so the air would immediately be warmed back up plus the scoop will be far from the intake. A CAI doesn't get the ram air effect that a functional hoodscoop would have, unless you cut a 3" hole through the fogs directly to where the intake sits. So it will have the CAI benefits as well as more air thrusted into the intake.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:52 PM

Man, what a great idea!
Old 10-09-2002, 05:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=hoodscoop

I want one someday, but I'd have a non-functional matching one on the otherside, designed something like the dodge demon....