4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help Needed!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 05:37 PM

Help Needed!!!!!

Guys I have an emergency here. My engine light was on for about a month and I went into Autozone to have it checked. It was diagnosed as a bad ECTS. I just replaced the sensor and manually tried to reset the computer. It turns out that I overturned the little slot on the computer and didn't feel the little tension to stop. I turned it clockwise then counter.

I observed a clicking sound coming from the firewall area. I turned the ignition from the ON position to OFF, then I tried to start the car to observe if the engine light was still there. I immediately observed a very long delayed start. The idle is moving slightly up then down until the car stalled. I am also feeling vibration as if a spark plug isn't firing. The latest now is that the car isn't starting period.

Did I just damage the computer by overturning? All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanx
Old 10-08-2002, 08:31 PM

You may have, but every cloud has a silver lining: buy the Gforce ECU! They're mad cheap right now!
Old 10-08-2002, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by gepetto
You may have, but every cloud has a silver lining: buy the Gforce ECU! They're mad cheap right now!
Maybe you should elaborate on the Gforce ECU, like where to buy it, what it does, will the CEL stay on all the time, etc.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:09 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Originally posted by maximised

Maybe you should elaborate on the Gforce ECU, like where to buy it, what it does, will the CEL stay on all the time, etc.
check the group deal forum
Old 10-08-2002, 09:12 PM

Yeah some information on the G Force would be helpful. I would also like to know if by over turning could possibly damage the ECU which in turn has created idling problems and a clicking relay sound from somewhere close to the firewall. The sound seems to be coming from a bunch of sensors next to the EGR hose. All this by just changing a bad ECTS and attempting to reset the ECU.

Thanx
Old 10-08-2002, 09:16 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=155319
Old 10-08-2002, 09:24 PM

Before I invest money into replacing the ECU, I need to determine if the problem lies within there. I am going to retrace my steps and remove the ECTS again and then test the resistance. I know I cannot reset my computer again if it is damaged. Maybe it is a vacuum leak while I was installing the ECTS. I'll have to do some tests tomorrow after work and post results if the problem is found. If not, it is off to the mechanic I go.

Thanx
Old 10-08-2002, 10:09 PM
RodolfoGraziani

Old Ecus never die

Your ECU is probably fine.

If you hear constant tick tick tick tick noise when the key is in "ON" position (but not all the way for cranking up), then one of your wire is busted.

And, if your car starts up and then struggles to keep rpm up for about 5-10 seconds and then stalls out, you must clean the butterfly valve of the throttle body.

Both of these happened to me, and I now can give my $260 advice for free

Old 10-08-2002, 10:12 PM
RodolfoGraziani

And more

and oh, I thought I messed up my ECU when I was trying to reset it too. I turned like 5 times in both directions

but my ECU still works. It's a shame it's so really hard to find when to stop turning

Old 10-09-2002, 05:50 PM

Re: Old Ecus never die

Originally posted by RodolfoGraziani
Your ECU is probably fine.

If you hear constant tick tick tick tick noise when the key is in "ON" position (but not all the way for cranking up), then one of your wire is busted.

And, if your car starts up and then struggles to keep rpm up for about 5-10 seconds and then stalls out, you must clean the butterfly valve of the throttle body.

Both of these happened to me, and I now can give my $260 advice for free
I just cleaned the throttle body on Saturday. The ticking sound seems to be coming from four sensors next to the EGR hose. My timing is still a little off and I am experiencing hard starts. The car just doesn't feel right. I will keep checking.

Thanx
Old 10-13-2002, 12:36 PM

Re: Re: Old Ecus never die

Originally posted by delite

I just cleaned the throttle body on Saturday. The ticking sound seems to be coming from four sensors next to the EGR hose. My timing is still a little off and I am experiencing hard starts. The car just doesn't feel right. I will keep checking.

Thanx

mine just began to tick also. i just replaced the EVAP canister, but appears to be ticking by the firewall when running and when in the On position without it starting. my friends ticks once or twice when FIRST started, but stops... mine is continuous.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Old Ecus never die

Originally posted by JeepRage

mine just began to tick also. i just replaced the EVAP canister, but appears to be ticking by the firewall when running and when in the On position without it starting. my friends ticks once or twice when FIRST started, but stops... mine is continuous.

Check your fuel pump motor. My ticking sound was due to a bad fuel pump motor. Try disconnecting the middle sensor next to the EGR hose; it has a beige bottom. See if your ticking ceases.