4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

anybody have a hood deflector?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 08:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

anybody have a hood deflector?

I was gonna get a hood bra, but don't like the look of it. So does anybody have a hood deflector (or bug guard, if that's what it's called)? I haven't seen them on a maxima before and am wondering if there are any made for us. thanx!
Jae
Old 10-11-2002, 08:45 PM

if you want to prevent rock chips, get the 3M clear bra - you can barely tell its there.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:29 PM
Custom User Title...

they sell this on www.custommaxima.com

Old 10-11-2002, 09:59 PM

Re: anybody have a hood deflector?

Originally posted by ThurzNite
I was gonna get a hood bra, but don't like the look of it. So does anybody have a hood deflector (or bug guard, if that's what it's called)? I haven't seen them on a maxima before and am wondering if there are any made for us. thanx!
Jae
the guy i bought my maxima from had purchased a magnetic rock/bug guard that works pretty well. i don't keep it on all the time, but it's nice for long highway rides to keep the hood looking clean. plus, on a black car, the black guard is barely noticeable.

i'm not positive, but i believe it's made by Weather Tech.
Old 10-12-2002, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
if you want to prevent rock chips, get the 3M clear bra - you can barely tell its there.
Where can you get that at? Is it made of plastic or something?
Old 10-12-2002, 06:57 PM

Re: Re: anybody have a hood deflector?

Originally posted by SE Maxima

can you show me how the magnetic bra is held in place? I don't want anybody to steal it, and it's affordable on ebay.

Aren't the 3m clear stuff really expensive?

Jae
Old 10-12-2002, 09:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: anybody have a hood deflector?

can you show me how the magnetic bra is held in place? I don't want anybody to steal it, and it's affordable on ebay.

Jae
the magnetic bra is really pretty easy. the protective part is literally a big thin magnet and shaped to fit the contour of the hood, so when you lay it on there it's down pretty good. it wraps around the lip of the hood (to the underside) by 1/2 an inch or so, then there is a piece of rubber 'molding' that goes on top of that. i imagine if someone wanted to steal it badly they probably could, but i think it would be difficult to get without having the hood up. you can armor-all it to give it a nice shine that pretty closely matches the sheen on my black paint.

my only real gripe is that it sort of 'baked' the paint on my hood underneath it. i think the guy who owned the car before me kept it on all year round for some time, so the first time i took it off the paint didn't look so hot. after going over it good with a rubbing compound and a couple coats of wax/polish it finally looks normal again.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:20 AM

so the magnetic bra doesn't shift or move or rub the paint? I was gonna get a regular bra, but don't want to chance the bra moving every so slightly and marring the hood surface. the magnetic one...looks like you give the hood a good clean, wax, then put on the bra.
Jae
Old 10-15-2002, 07:17 PM

so the magnetic bra doesn't shift or move or rub the paint? I was gonna get a regular bra, but don't want to chance the bra moving every so slightly and marring the hood surface. the magnetic one...looks like you give the hood a good clean, wax, then put on the bra.
Jae
no, once the bra is on there it won't shift a bit. the thing is literally a thin, flexible magnet that has a black vinyl-looking layer on the top side. the bottom side is that odd brown color like any kitchen magnet. i haven't had any problems with it rubbing or scratching the paint. but like i said, it did seem to sort of "bake" the paint because the last guy left it on the car all-year round. i really only use it for long road trips and try to keep it as clean and dry underneath as possible.

by the way...the sticker on it says Monsoon All Weather. i'm guessing that's the brand.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:19 PM

Buyer beware!!!

Buyer beware of anything that just "lays" or "drapes" against the surface of your painted finish. Or even;

The GTS brand Bug-Gard, clear plexi or Lexan molded to the curves of the hood on my 99.

It mounts up off the surface of the hood, versus a bra.

The mounting is such that it uses a pair of clear velcro "pads"; one pair on each end of the clear gard, each pair has one pad on the inside surface of the gard, one on the hood, and you press the gard on to the hood-mounted pads to hold it in place.
(You also have the option of drilling holes just under the leading edge of the hood to further secure it from theft. I didn't want to add potential rust holes to my hood, so I just used the velcro pads.)

The velcro pads alone are supposed to allow the gard to be easily removed for washing, waxing.

The thickness of the velcro pads is supposed to keep the gard just up off of the surface of the hood, allowing rain and air to pass around it.

In theory.

In reality, the gard TRAPS leaves and larger crap between itself and the hood surface.

In reality, the air pressure of drving at speed pushes the somewhat flexible gard back against the surface of the painted hood.

In reality, you will soon discover that the Gard has effectively SANDED marks into the leading edge of your hood wherever it was "blown back" against the hood surface.

I pulled the basturd off and WD40'd the stick-on Velcro pads off the hood. Now I have SANDED patches accross the front edge of the hood.

I am now contemplating having the hood re-painted, and all the front-end rock-nicks taken care of.

If I had to do it again, I'd have used the thin 3M film that goes directly on to the paint, kinda like clear plastic "graphics".

Just my 2-cents.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:40 AM
KCmaxima

Jae
Hey man, I have a "Deflecta Shield" Its pretty much like the GTS one I guess. Its black in color and comes with all of the necessary hardware. I could give it to you for $30 +shipping. I am flexible on price as I know the shipping costs may be harsh for such an oversized item. As for the magnetic hood bra they mentioned. I have it in white to match my paintjob and I love it. The manufacturer recommends you lift it up and clean with a wet paper towel once a month, and Im sure waxing under there every once in a while wouldnt hurt either.

Old 10-29-2002, 05:25 AM
Lifetime Maxer

Jae
Hey Jae,

I have the Carflector (hood deflector) made by Ventshade. Got it at AutoZone for like $29.99 and it's GREAT. It mounts with screws to the underneath of your hood, and just wraps around WITHOUT touching the paint anywhere. No chips or bugs on my hood since I've owned it..the only draw back is that leaves slide down the hood and get caught in it and you have to pull them out...Definitely recommend it though.
-Chad
Old 10-29-2002, 09:03 AM

This is to maximachad... can you post some pics. I've been looking for pics of them on a black max but havent found any.