4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: Which car should i get
Grand Prix GTP
11.76%
Camaro Z28
88.24%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

GTP or Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 10:57 AM

GTP or Z28?

I have thought about it and i am going to sell my maxima. I am going to either get a 98 Grand Prix GTP Coupe or a 97 Camaro Z28 for around the same price. Which one should i go for? Both are mint condition with low milege.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:03 AM
Administrator

since the GTP only comes in AUTO..

Z28 Manual tranny
Old 10-12-2002, 11:17 AM
SLOW

Not sure why you would sell the Max for either of these, unless you just want to be faster. Go for the LS1, 6spd hopefully, but I'd still take an LS1 auto over a GTP.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Not sure why you would sell the Max for either of these, unless you just want to be faster. Go for the LS1, 6spd hopefully, but I'd still take an LS1 auto over a GTP.
I agree with Nealoc...Why would you want a GTP over a Maxima in the first place...it isn't any faster...and looks uglier. I can understand the Carmero Z28 for speed purpose but for insurance and gas milage purposes...I would stay with the Max (decent on insurance and gets great gas milage..compared to the Z28 and GTP (very heavy car by the way)) Plus the extra your going to spend on those cars just through a turbo or supercharger on the Max and bingo...faster than the Z28.

-John
Old 10-12-2002, 10:17 PM

Maxima is a hell of a better car then both of those
Old 10-13-2002, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by FameMax
Maxima is a hell of a better car then both of those
maxima!!! maxima!!! maxima!!! maxima!!! maxima!!! i do like the looks of the gtp's, but i would still stick with a max! want more speed? go with a 350z. wait a few years if you can't afford it right now, new.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:34 AM

I would go with the Z28 if your just selling your car for speed, right now the Z28s are around the same price range as a Max for the same year, I say that but most of those cars have alot of miles. Also I have a friend who has a TA with the same motor as the Z28 (the LT1) that runs consistant 11s, and all he has done to it is a cam kit and heads( cost less than a stillen supercharger). As much as I hate to say it, Try that in a Max.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:38 AM

Go LS1 F body, 1998 or up. You live only once, might as well have some fun. After all, you never know what may happen tomorow. I so regret buyin this POS family sedan at age 19 (I'm 21 now). Everytime i see a max theres some old fart driving it with gray hair and/or kids.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:42 AM

Excuse me but the maxima is no POS and is the fastest and most reliable car used in my price range. I also love driving my friends around in it and suprising them with the incredible power this "family sedan" has. I laugh at all the ricers who think they are the sh##. MAXIMA RULES!

Oh and go with the Z28 cause I here the GTP is not to reliable. But if I were you I'd keep the MAX.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by ericdwong
Go LS1 F body, 1998 or up. You live only once, might as well have some fun. After all, you never know what may happen tomorow. I so regret buyin this POS family sedan at age 19 (I'm 21 now). Everytime i see a max theres some old fart driving it with gray hair and/or kids.
I might want a new car just because I like change. But I love my Maxima, its fun, sporty and fast enough for my right now. The only other car I was considering before I got my max was a 300ZXTT and the insurence for a new driver on that was gona hurt me, so i went with the Maxima, and i dont regret anything. It takes everything I dish out at it, I love it
Old 10-13-2002, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by ericdwong
if u wanted a fast sportscar why did u get max? cus it said 4DSC? if the max is a POS why did u buy it in the first place?
Old 10-13-2002, 01:28 PM
Handsome

LS1

Go for the z28, the LT1 is great, I have even seen a few supercharged LT4's, but an LS1 would be my choice (lighter, faster, better gas mileage.) I'm from Dallas and would frequent Jo-Tech and LG motorsports, check out LG for possiblities for a nasty fast Z. IF you have the green get a 2003 cobra (retail is under 35,000) many mustange magazines have gotten these things incredibly fast. With lightning intake, SVO exhaust, and Mickey thompson drag tires it ran 11.9's, as well as another magazine that swaped the pulley, and changed the tires, it also ran 11.9's. MY next car will either be this, or a more practical G35 coupe, but elevens with simple boltons is very very very tempting, Good luck with what ever choice you choose.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't know about this...

First off, I am definitly agreeing with everyone about the Maxima being a so much better car than both, but unlike everyone else, I will be the first to say go with the Grand Prix.

Why you ask? Well, first of all, I'm a sedan fan hands down. My mother owns a Camaro (not Z28) and it's quick, but not my style. Second I have many domestic car friends and unfortunately they are all anti-Camaro. One friend especially hates them with a passion and has only been beatin by one maybe two his whole driving life. Another reason I would go with the Grand Prix is, though both are GM cars, I believe that Pontiac puts a better motor in the Grand Prix than Chevy puts in the Camaro. That, plus the fact that ALL of my Acura CL & TL friends respect only one domestic car, and that's the Pontiac Grand Prix. Rather ironic, but true.

I will happily be the first and possibly only one to vote for the Grand Prix.

BlueBOB
Old 10-13-2002, 02:11 PM
Handsome

Originally posted by BlueBOB

First off, I am definitly agreeing with everyone about the Maxima being a so much better car than both, but unlike everyone else, I will be the first to say go with the Grand Prix.

Why you ask? Well, first of all, I'm a sedan fan hands down. My mother owns a Camaro (not Z28) and it's quick, but not my style. Second I have many domestic car friends and unfortunately they are all anti-Camaro. One friend especially hates them with a passion and has only been beatin by one maybe two his whole driving life. Another reason I would go with the Grand Prix is, though both are GM cars, I believe that Pontiac puts a better motor in the Grand Prix than Chevy puts in the Camaro. That, plus the fact that ALL of my Acura CL & TL friends respect only one domestic car, and that's the Pontiac Grand Prix. Rather ironic, but true.

I will happily be the first and possibly only one to vote for the Grand Prix.

BlueBOB
While the grand prix is more of an all around car, a Z28 would absolutly make it look silly. As much grief as people give the heavy F bodies they do handle well too. In fact in a Car and Driver comparison a Z28 pulled a better lateral G than an eagle talon TSI (all wheel drive, it was a 97-99) As far as affordable sports cars go, the Z28 is the top of the food chain. It kills mustanges (as well as beats up on cobras of the same year 94 +), and runs a 13 out of the box. What kind of car did your friend have who did not lose often to Z's (where they at least LT1's?) The styling isn't my favorite (I think it's a little big) but that car is defintaly the king dingiling of the 1/4 mile.
The domestic people that I talk to actually like the camaro and rag on the mustages. The reason is there are a lot yuppies who buy a mustange because it's a mustange (I love the 92 and 93 mustange especially the cobra, but the 4.6???) These people who buy a mustange pull up next to camaroes thinking they have a chance, just because it's a mustange (not really knowing.) I have seen many stock automatic Z28's rip on 4.6 mustange 5 speeds. What cars do your friends like? (on a ricer note, there is nothing as sweet sounding as a mustange with down pipes and cams, just wish they were faster out of the box) The mustange has been the step child of V8's since 94, the Z has ruled since the introduction of the LT1; and the LS1 was just nasty; but the new cobra is a real 180 for Ford, and it's about time.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:23 PM

my friend put thousands into his gtp and its still not that fast it drives like a boat strapped to a damn automatic.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:37 PM

Re: GTP or Z28?

Originally posted by DaveGrun
I have thought about it and i am going to sell my maxima. I am going to either get a 98 Grand Prix GTP Coupe or a 97 Camaro Z28 for around the same price. Which one should i go for? Both are mint condition with low milege.
GTP are a constant target for flaming on this board...maybe because they are similar to the max in many ways except that of having a stock supercharger. Whichever car you choose is obviously going to depend on whether you want a really fast 2-door V-8 sports car or another "family" sedan...I personally couldn't afford the damn insurance.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:51 PM

I just went for a ride in 93 6 speed formula the other day, I'm in love with the LT1/LS1 torque. If you are in the market for some speed, definately go with the z28/forumula.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:57 PM

Gas mileage??? The GTP and Camaro both get around 30 on the highway. That 6 speed in the Camaro really helps as they run at about 2200 rpm at 75 mph And as far as the guy that dumped "thousands" into his GTP and is still "really slow and drives like a boat"..... wake up guy. Pully, intake, and exhaust and they'll run 13s without breaking a sweat. There are MANY GTPs run the 12s now with NO nitrous. SO your friend needs to stop investing in wings, and body kits and work on the performance side of it. As far as driving like a boat.... stock GTP vs. stock Max, same skid pad, and the GTP got a slightly better slalom.... so we must be boats too right?

As far as which you should get, it depends on what you want in a car. If you want a ***** out fast 1/4 car with a lot of potential that also handles very well, then the Z28 would be the better choice. The LT1 (94-97) was a torque monster and does better than the LS1 (98-03) but suffers on the top end due to the head design as well as many other changes. If you want a great daily driver with a lot of potential then the GTP would be it. Check out www.camaroz28.com, www.ls1.com, and www.clubgp.com

And as far as the comment about the Camaro motors sucking and being crap.... tell that to all of the Vettes that run with NO problems very relaibly. And the board isn't here to bash on other cars, it's here to talk about ours and help people out.

The man asked a question, let's not bash on the cars but give our opinions on the two cars and which one you would want. If you don't like them, then keep your mouth shut.

Justin
Old 10-13-2002, 10:59 PM

Z28 hands down. I'd sell my max in a second if i can get a Z28 minus the insurance and gas cost. Well, gas i can live with, but insurance will screw me over and over again. I think those 2 are the reason's why i bought a max... Just add the SS hood and put some flowmasters on that sucker, and wham.. instance sexiness. Not to mention the speed....
Old 10-13-2002, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by JdawgX
And as far as the comment about the Camaro motors sucking and being crap.... tell that to all of the Vettes that run with NO problems very relaibly. And the board isn't here to bash on other cars, it's here to talk about ours and help people out.

The man asked a question, let's not bash on the cars but give our opinions on the two cars and which one you would want. If you don't like them, then keep your mouth shut.

Justin

I agree. Well said.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:59 AM

My mother owns a Camaro (not Z28) and it's quick, but not my style. Second I have many domestic car friends and unfortunately they are all anti-Camaro. One friend especially hates them with a passion and has only been beatin by one maybe two his whole driving life. Another reason I would go with the Grand Prix is, though both are GM cars, I believe that Pontiac puts a better motor in the Grand Prix than Chevy puts in the Camaro. That, plus the fact that ALL of my Acura CL & TL friends respect only one domestic car, and that's the Pontiac Grand Prix. Rather ironic, but true.

BlueBOB
If it's not a Z28 it's not going to be that quick, also GM puts the same engine in the Grand Prix GT as they do the Camaro (3800 Series II) The GTP has the same engine only it is supercharged. And a Z28 will put a beating on all the honda cars you listed.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:02 AM

Originally posted by korupter
Z28 hands down. I'd sell my max in a second if i can get a Z28 minus the insurance and gas cost. Well, gas i can live with, but insurance will screw me over and over again. I think those 2 are the reason's why i bought a max... Just add the SS hood and put some flowmasters on that sucker, and wham.. instance sexiness. Not to mention the speed....
Me too but my insurance wouldn't go up much more than it already is the maxima is considered a sports car in my insurance companies book.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:35 AM

Originally posted by Street Reeper

What kind of car did your friend have who did not lose often to Z's (where they at least LT1's?)
Quite honestly he drives a Mustang. I've never personally LOVED domestic cars, but he owned a Black 98 Mustang GT and I rode with him on many occasions while smoking Camaros. He traded in that GT for a Blue 2002 Mustang GT and it took very little to make this one faster than his 98. I do like domestics (especially their sound), but I just prefer imports. Here in Dallas, there are thousands of ricers, hella-moded domestics, and luxury car owners with lead feet. If it can be done, there are at least half a dozen cars in Dallas that have done it.

Justin, I apologize if you think I was using this thread to bash either car. The comment was not meant for that.

After actually discussing this topic with a couple friends this weekend I realized that these cars are on a completely different list and the real question is like everyone said; do you want a fast 1/4 mile track runner, or a big quick sedan (like the Max)? That's the question you should ask yourself. Either way, let us know.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:27 AM

Its a tough choice b/w max and z28. If only the interior was as sweet as on my max, and slightly bigger, I wouldn't give the max a second look. While z28 doesn't fit eveyone's life, it is one hell of a car. There is no feeling like over 300lbs of torque at the rear wheels when you floor it. You cant compare the sounds either (V6 VS V8. ) . Think of the fun in a big parking lot with lotsa snow. What about ttops? Forget sunroofs! Camaro is an all out beast, but a max is more a practical car with a little pep. Depends on what you want. If I had a choice, I'd have to take the 6spd camaro.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:19 PM
Handsome

Quite honestly he drives a Mustang. I've never personally LOVED domestic cars, but he owned a Black 98 Mustang GT and I rode with him on many occasions while smoking Camaros. He traded in that GT for a Blue 2002 Mustang GT and it took very little to make this one faster than his 98. I do like domestics (especially their sound), but I just prefer imports. Here in Dallas, there are thousands of ricers, hella-moded domestics, and luxury car owners with lead feet. If it can be done, there are at least half a dozen cars in Dallas that have done it.

Justin, I apologize if you think I was using this thread to bash either car. The comment was not meant for that.

After actually discussing this topic with a couple friends this weekend I realized that these cars are on a completely different list and the real question is like everyone said; do you want a fast 1/4 mile track runner, or a big quick sedan (like the Max)? That's the question you should ask yourself. Either way, let us know.
That must have been one sweet mustange. I am from Dallas too and am going back to get my car inspected for a weekend in November. Do people still go out to Northwest Highway or Luna. I used to frequent their in my old eclipse. Around 500 cars would show on Saturday jamming everything, and people would just start running right off of I-35, it would take a helicopter to break it up because the whole place would be grid locked with cars. Those were the best races I have ever been too. All of my friends from their are into modding as well, and the majority have mustanges and camaroes, it just depends on who's got the boost. (I love that town )
Old 10-15-2002, 07:00 PM
Dev

the gtp is my favourite car, so thats the direction i'd tell you to go in. i should have had one (used) but at the time there was only 1 to pick from and it was in bad condition (curb rash all over the car). the GTP imo looks a he11 of a lot better than the maxima, much more aggressive and sporty compared to the maxima which looks closer to a camry. from experience, the grand prix does handle better than the maxima as well, so if the grand prix is a boat, the maxima is too. the GTP is also much easier to mod than the max, with the stock S/C, a smaller pulley is good for 25-30hp. i dont' know why people say its ugly, honestly at least its not a box like our 4th gens...
Old 10-16-2002, 05:36 AM

That must have been one sweet mustange. I am from Dallas too and am going back to get my car inspected for a weekend in November. Do people still go out to Northwest Highway or Luna. I used to frequent their in my old eclipse. Around 500 cars would show on Saturday jamming everything, and people would just start running right off of I-35, it would take a helicopter to break it up because the whole place would be grid locked with cars. Those were the best races I have ever been too. All of my friends from their are into modding as well, and the majority have mustanges and camaroes, it just depends on who's got the boost. (I love that town )
Yes it is! Like I said, I generally don't give much respect to any modded domestic cars, but his is one of the few that I do.

Northwest Highway and Luna will ALWAYS be THE spot in the Big-D to race. I havent' been out there in sooooo long. A lot of the "ricers" in Plano still love to hang out at Java & Cha @ Coit & Park next to that dollar theater. And with that being so close to the new 190, a ton of people are using that as a raceway. I don't know how long it's been since you've been back, but that area ain't bad either to start some shiat.

Let me know what weekend you'll be in. I'd love to see another ORG member's Max.

BlueBOB
Old 10-16-2002, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by MaximaPower
if u wanted a fast sportscar why did u get max? cus it said 4DSC? if the max is a POS why did u buy it in the first place?
oi vey .... Dont get him going on this topic again. I have read many posts on why he feels this way and understand his points but lets not turn this thread into another one. Do a search with his name on here and you will find old discussions.

SuDZ
Old 10-16-2002, 09:05 AM
Handsome

Yes it is! Like I said, I generally don't give much respect to any modded domestic cars, but his is one of the few that I do.

Northwest Highway and Luna will ALWAYS be THE spot in the Big-D to race. I havent' been out there in sooooo long. A lot of the "ricers" in Plano still love to hang out at Java & Cha @ Coit & Park next to that dollar theater. And with that being so close to the new 190, a ton of people are using that as a raceway. I don't know how long it's been since you've been back, but that area ain't bad either to start some shiat.

Let me know what weekend you'll be in. I'd love to see another ORG member's Max.

BlueBOB
Park and Coit, thats my old stomping ground. Back in 95 it was just getting started as a hang out to meet for racing. We would stop there and then head out to the toll way for a race, always fun and safe. Thats funny that they still meet out there, I used to see some of the nicest cars from supercharged LT4 camaroes, to fire hawk firebirds. I'll give you a shout when I head down there, most of my friends go out to Denton to some 1/8 of a mile track too. I am looking forward to coming out to D town and seeing some great cars, I'll let you know when I come, this weekend I am hosting an OKC meet, if weather permits hopefully everyone can make it. They have racing up here and all meet at a particular strip, but it is nothing compared to the crazyness and mass of cars that used to go to dallas. I loved when one spot would get broken up and everyone would head out to the next, there would be a huge sea of cars on the highway as far as you could see, I hope that it's still this way. The craziest thing that I saw there was a red civic beater with black wheels (looked very stock) lighting up grand nationals and C5's, you never know when it comes to big D and their cars.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:15 AM

Park and Coit, thats my old stomping ground. Back in 95 it was just getting started as a hang out to meet for racing. We would stop there and then head out to the toll way for a race, always fun and safe. Thats funny that they still meet out there, I used to see some of the nicest cars from supercharged LT4 camaroes, to fire hawk firebirds. I'll give you a shout when I head down there, most of my friends go out to Denton to some 1/8 of a mile track too. I am looking forward to coming out to D town and seeing some great cars, I'll let you know when I come, this weekend I am hosting an OKC meet, if weather permits hopefully everyone can make it. They have racing up here and all meet at a particular strip, but it is nothing compared to the crazyness and mass of cars that used to go to dallas. I loved when one spot would get broken up and everyone would head out to the next, there would be a huge sea of cars on the highway as far as you could see, I hope that it's still this way. The craziest thing that I saw there was a red civic beater with black wheels (looked very stock) lighting up grand nationals and C5's, you never know when it comes to big D and their cars.
HAHAHA, hell yeah! Dallas has soooo many sleepers it's scary. It's funny you mention that track because some buddies of mine wanted me to go with them last Friday night to run. I was most definitly busy and could not make it, but apparently another buddy of mine with his Gold 240sx with his new SR20DET engine ran really well
Old 10-16-2002, 09:30 AM

Keep the maxima, but if you must I'd buy the z28, but after winter.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:33 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The best bang-for-the-buck halfway reliable musclecar on the maket right now would be a 97 Z28 with the LT1. Yes, the LS1 offers a bit more performance, but the resale seems to be a bit higher. The reason I say 97 is because you get the current redesigned interior, but you get the more aggressive raked front end and not the "fish-faced" 98+ style. The best looking LT1 was definately the 96-97 SS. The advantage of the LT1 is this:

1) lower asking price
2) mods are very cheap

Right off the bat you start out with a car that can go 13.7s@103mph in capable hands. The LS1 is capable of lower 13s stock. The intake system on the LT1 is laughably restrictive compared to the LS1s. An intake alone on the LT1 will gain ~12rwhp and torque. Buy a set of heads, a cam, headers, catback, intake, and some deeper gears (3.42-4.10 depending on tranny) and you'll be running low 12s and 11s. For 12-14K including mods you can have a nice and very fast LT1 that will hang with LS1s with heads and cam. My buddy has a 95 auto with 3.73s, intake, headers, heads, catback, and chip and he's running 12.2s@110mph on drag radials. That's with the stock stall converter (1700rpm stall). With his new 2600rpms stall converter, he should hit 11.7-11.8s.

Why do I think F-Bodies are the ticket? I had a 94 Z28 prior to my Maxima. It was an auto with an intake, catback, y-pipe, and chip and I ran 13.4s@104mph in it. That's with the stock 2.73 gears too. Engine and tranny wise, it seemed to be built proof. Quality wise, it was a joke. Windows came off their tracks, the plastic body panels became unglued from the metal frame, rattles galore, quite few oil leaks, replaced the entire AC system, new intake manifold gasket, and new turn signal stalk. Overall, I had $4000 in warranty work done to the car in 3 years of ownership. The reason I got the Maxima was because I wanted something more executive and I was sick and tired of feeling like I had to continuely add mods to stay competitive and EVERYONE wanted to race ALL the time.

Dave
Old 10-17-2002, 11:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Like most people have been saying, the Z28 is a faster car, period. However, the GTP is much more versatile. As far as speed goes, the GTP is 15.2 stock and is very east to upgrade. My fried has one and it has beaten many cars. It hangs with a 99 mustang GT 0-60 and in 3rd gear eats it up. Against the acura sedan with 260 hp(I think it is the 3.2 type S) he destroyed it with tcs on and were neck and neck with it off. Also, it has so much low-end torque that it is a pleasure to drive around town and it can tear its tires loose from the pavement at 20 mph. It also handles much better than any Maxima I've driven(mine, 99, 00, and 01). As far as I am concerned, the only advantage the Maxima has is the availability of a manual transmission, and those are so hard to find that it is not much of an advantage. The GTP even has the upper hand in styling. The 95-99 Maxima body style was pathetic. I could go on forever about this stuff so I end it by officially putting my vote toward the GTP.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:18 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by josh_arby
Like most people have been saying, the Z28 is a faster car, period. However, the GTP is much more versatile. As far as speed goes, the GTP is 15.2 stock and is very east to upgrade. My fried has one and it has beaten many cars. It hangs with a 99 mustang GT 0-60 and in 3rd gear eats it up. Against the acura sedan with 260 hp(I think it is the 3.2 type S) he destroyed it with tcs on and were neck and neck with it off. Also, it has so much low-end torque that it is a pleasure to drive around town and it can tear its tires loose from the pavement at 20 mph. It also handles much better than any Maxima I've driven(mine, 99, 00, and 01). As far as I am concerned, the only advantage the Maxima has is the availability of a manual transmission, and those are so hard to find that it is not much of an advantage. The GTP even has the upper hand in styling. The 95-99 Maxima body style was pathetic. I could go on forever about this stuff so I end it by officially putting my vote toward the GTP.
The problem with the GTP is that it's a heavy FWD car. In all out handling, mod for mod, a Maxima will hand the GTP it's butt. The guys at GP-owners.org admit this. I've rented numerous Grand Prix GTs for work and they do corner flat and the steering is nicely weighted which gives the feeling of "good handling". But once you start pushing that 3400lb in a tight turn or on a nice highway sweeper, you begin to realize that the GP is a heavy car and becomes quite unsettled in handling manuvers. It is in no way a bad handling car, but it's nothing spectacular. It's a good cruiser and the interior really isn't that bad considering it came from Pontiac. The tranny though, is the weak link. The tranny is rated at 280ft/lbs and guess what the GTP puts out stock? 280ft/lbs. That's downright scary. When you start adding power to this motor, the tranny really gets taxed. It doesn't mean it will definately fail, but chances are the life is cut short.

As for looks, a stock GTP does win over the "ho-hum" 95-99 Maxima. However, once you clean up the 95-99 Maxima with some clear corners, reworked taillights, get rid of the 4X4 height, add some rims, and add a front lip spoiler, you're looking at a fairly aggressive sedan. Like I've said before, I get a ton more looks in my Maxima than I ever did in my arrest-me-red 94 Z28.

Dave
Old 10-17-2002, 01:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Truth be told, I would rather have the best of both worlds: my maxima with a roots-type supercharger on it. That way I would have good low-end torque and still have good high end as well. As it is right now my max is almost anemic before 3k but after that it is more fun than the GTP. However, the GTP has a much better feeling until 4k. After that the performance drops off dramatically. For driving fun my max wins, and for around town driving the GTP wins. I guess like most things in life it is a toss up. Thankfully my mom just got a GTP so I can enjoy them both now
Old 10-17-2002, 03:26 PM

I'd say go for the Z28...but it has to be an LS1. I saw in this thread where somebody said an LT1 is capable of 13.70's in the right hands....well, there must not be many 'right hands' out there. I've never seen one break into the 13's (stock) and I've seen a few of them run. And I've beaten 3 of them on the street (2 auto's, 1 manual) and I've only run a 14.3 best.

Also, somebody mag-quoted the GTP's time at 15.2......magazine racing sucks. And if you have ever seen a GTP run at the strip I would bet it wasn't running a 15.2. I've seen many run, and I have seen one guy run a 15.3, a couple run 15.0's and the rest were in the 14's.

Later,
Old 10-17-2002, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by GTPguy97
I'd say go for the Z28...but it has to be an LS1. I saw in this thread where somebody said an LT1 is capable of 13.70's in the right hands....well, there must not be many 'right hands' out there. I've never seen one break into the 13's (stock) and I've seen a few of them run. And I've beaten 3 of them on the street (2 auto's, 1 manual) and I've only run a 14.3 best.

Also, somebody mag-quoted the GTP's time at 15.2......magazine racing sucks. And if you have ever seen a GTP run at the strip I would bet it wasn't running a 15.2. I've seen many run, and I have seen one guy run a 15.3, a couple run 15.0's and the rest were in the 14's.

Later,
MAXIMA.org
Old 10-17-2002, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by Lurchdogg11

MAXIMA.org
One more "great" comment from a Maxima owner
Old 10-28-2002, 10:12 PM
KCmaxima

one more vote for the Camaro

Although Im not that knowledgeable about the Camaros, I did come very close to buying a GTP before I luckily happened upon my lovely Maxima. The GTP as mentioned before in this thread has a very iffy tranny. I have read a number of reports by GTP owners that the trannys couldnt take it, some even had failures around the 30-40K mark. Whats worse about what these GTP owners said is that Pontiac will not stand behind their vehicles warantee wise. So, if you are lucky and the tranny failes before the warantee is up, and you take it to the dealer they will probably put in a tranny that is just as destined to fail as the one that came with the car. I cant remember off the top of my head where I read these reports but they are out there, just do some searching. Anyhow, thats my 2 cents. I do admire their the Grand Prix coupe's styling.

Old 10-28-2002, 10:24 PM

There have also been things that have gone wrong in the Maxima. Our auto trannys take almost a second off of our 1/4! GM makes one of the bets auto trannys in the world. That's why BMW uses them in their cars When the car was designed, it wasn't designed to take the kind of power that people are getting out of the cars. So you upgrade the tranny with either an Intense tranny or a Level 10 tranny and go have some more fun. It's all part of building your car.

But, to each their own.

Quick Reply: GTP or Z28?