4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ATTN Chunger! Motivational Struts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 08:26 PM

ATTN Chunger! Motivational Struts?

Hey Chunger...people at the ORG seem to think in a box in terms of suspension...________ springs, and AGX shocks.

We've heard you have the Motivational struts and would like you to elaborate on your experience. How do they compare to AGX in terms of build quality and ride quality?

Worth the money?

RL
Old 10-13-2002, 10:19 PM

Re: ATTN Chunger! Motivational Struts?

Originally posted by Vesaijan
Hey Chunger...people at the ORG seem to think in a box in terms of suspension...________ springs, and AGX shocks.

We've heard you have the Motivational struts and would like you to elaborate on your experience. How do they compare to AGX in terms of build quality and ride quality?

Worth the money?

RL
What are these? I haven't heard anything about them.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:41 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

I can't give you REAL comparison with AGX as I never had them before.

To answer a few questions:
I have both the modified front Koni/Strut assembly (done by Mike at www.motivational.net ) and the rear spring perch with my Konis for the rear (also available through Motivational). Contact Mike... he's a real nice guy.

The rear mount gave me back about 1" of suspension travel... IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE (at least in terms of ride comfort).

The fronts help too but only on very hard dips or speedbumps.
If you have Konis already, Mike can have them modified (as he did with mine) or you can buy the whole front assembly through him.

On another note: OgreDave said he liked his old Konis better than his AGX, which he presently has.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by Chunger
I can't give you REAL comparison with AGX as I never had them before.

To answer a few questions:
I have both the modified front Koni/Strut assembly (done by Mike at www.motivational.net ) and the rear spring perch with my Konis for the rear (also available through Motivational). Contact Mike... he's a real nice guy.

The rear mount gave me back about 1" of suspension travel... IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE (at least in terms of ride comfort).

The fronts help too but only on very hard dips or speedbumps.
If you have Konis already, Mike can have them modified (as he did with mine) or you can buy the whole front assembly through him.

On another note: OgreDave said he liked his old Konis better than his AGX, which he presently has.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you total to have your Koni's modified and get the rear spring perch?

Was it worth it?

RL
Old 10-14-2002, 01:45 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you total to have your Koni's modified and get the rear spring perch?

Was it worth it?

RL
About $125 with my own KONI fronts (keep in mind I live near him to drop off/pick it up)... You can't mod AGX fronts BTW.
Rear mount is $118 per the website...

Well worth it. So far I'm the only Maxima that has them on the board so you'll just have to take my word for "is it worth it"... They are but I think you would be happy with just the rear mounts, IMHO.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:35 PM

About $125 with my own KONI fronts (keep in mind I live near him to drop off/pick it up)... You can't mod AGX fronts BTW.
Rear mount is $118 per the website...

Well worth it. So far I'm the only Maxima that has them on the board so you'll just have to take my word for "is it worth it"... They are but I think you would be happy with just the rear mounts, IMHO.
I'm leaning closer to this setup than AGX. However, the price difference would be significance and I have to try and justify spending the extra money. Thanks for your help/info Chunger.

The dent in my bank account is going to be huge...I think...

RL
Old 10-14-2002, 03:09 PM

I think I'm going to try these mounts too. Too bad I didn't think about them before. When I swapped out my Tokicos for the AGX's, the threads to one of my bolts was stripped. I bought a new mount from the dealer for $30? or something. I'm in school right now in Long Beach and I was wondering were this place is located. I can't seem to find an street address.

BTW, I'm installing the Stillen Camber plates on the front. Do you know if that changes the suspension travel?
Old 10-14-2002, 03:14 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Just to add to the above:

I did NOT cut my bumpstops both front nor back. (I didn't want the possibility of destroying my shock by bottoming out the piston).

The difference MAY be smaller for you if you have already cut your bump stops. My rear Koni is set to the upper position on the lower perch so that may cancel out some of the need to cut the stops.

But either way, you gain additional travel. Just ask Malik if I slow down for bumpstops or traintracks!
Old 10-14-2002, 08:10 PM

Just to add to the above:

I did NOT cut my bumpstops both front nor back. (I didn't want the possibility of destroying my shock by bottoming out the piston).

The difference MAY be smaller for you if you have already cut your bump stops. My rear Koni is set to the upper position on the lower perch so that may cancel out some of the need to cut the stops.

But either way, you gain additional travel. Just ask Malik if I slow down for bumpstops or traintracks!
What springs are you running?

RL
Old 10-14-2002, 10:47 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

What springs are you running?

RL
Intrax
Old 11-28-2002, 11:33 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

FYI - since i had to change all 4 of my rotors today...

Here's a picture of the rear mounts on the car (nothing spectacular):