4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Speedo Swapping (SE to GLE or GXE) and face- switching. Also, bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 12:30 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Speedo Swapping (SE to GLE or GXE) and face- switching. Also, bulbs?

First off, let me begin by saying that I am positive that I want the OEM look of SE gauges and NOT indiglos or reverse indiglos, OR importintelligence WFGs, so the issue here is really about Speedo Swapping (SE to GLE or GXE) and face- switching.

I have read a lot of threads lately on this issue, and I have searched rather extensively. On the way to me, I have an SE gauge cluster with 100K plus miles. I have 63K. I DO NOT want to do an odometer rollback statement or an odometer swap, so I want to re-use my original odometer. I also want to say that I WAS willing to roll back the SE cluster, if necessary, but that is no longer an option, PLUS the SE cluster is from a manual and I have an Auto, so no OD indicator if I just swapped the gauges.

So, I was going to just put the gauge faces and needles on my GLE cluster, leave the odometer in place, and be happy, BUT when the seller went to dake off the faces he broke the speedo (somehow, though I do not know how), so he decided to just send me the whole cluster and let me swap as I saw fit.

My choices are to either swap the SE gauges (minus the speedo) into my GLE cluster, then swap the SE face and needle onto my GLE speedo face, or to swap ALL of th efaces and needles.

I know that it is possible to swap the needles and faces on all 4 gauges, but this seems like a lot of work IF there are other options, both of which seem to be a better alternative. First, does the Manual gauge cluster, for some reason, have the O/D light there (but normally left unconnected)?

Is it possible to swap the ENTIRE SE tach, fuel, and temp gauges into my GLE cluster? This would keep me from having to remove the needles from those 3 gauges, leaving me with only 1 gauge to potentially screw up.
OR, if there is an O/D light in the SE cluster, can I leave the tach, fuel, and temp gauges in place in the SE cluster and just do the speedo face swap/gauge swap for my GLE speedo (now w/ the SE face and needle), thus only making me actually remove one gauge?

One last question- what are the longest-lasting blue/indigo bulbs that fit our 194 sockets?