4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

MAJOR oil leak... oil pressure sender unit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 03:43 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

MAJOR oil leak... oil pressure sender unit?

Hi guys, omg i've come across my first problem on my maxima. Actually i found out 2 of em today.... but this one requires more immediate attention. The oil is leaking steadily and since i noticed it JUST today i think i may be low on oil. I visited my cousin who used to drive the car and we just noticed that its leaking pretty bad underneath. I have searched and read the FAQ's about the Oil Pressure Sender unit which is known for going bad.. i'm hoping it's just that. The thing is.. where is this located?? The leak is in front of the driver seat area... like about the area where the tranny fill bolt is i think. I was going to get it checked out today but i'm afraid of the mechanics bs-ing me about something else that could cost alot of $$$ cuz the car has 140k miles on it. Thanks for ure help!
Old 10-17-2002, 03:48 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: MAJOR oil leak... oil pressure sender unit?

Originally posted by nadir_s
Hi guys, omg i've come across my first problem on my maxima. Actually i found out 2 of em today.... but this one requires more immediate attention. The oil is leaking steadily and since i noticed it JUST today i think i may be low on oil. I visited my cousin who used to drive the car and we just noticed that its leaking pretty bad underneath. I have searched and read the FAQ's about the Oil Pressure Sender unit which is known for going bad.. i'm hoping it's just that. The thing is.. where is this located?? The leak is in front of the driver seat area... like about the area where the tranny fill bolt is i think. I was going to get it checked out today but i'm afraid of the mechanics bs-ing me about something else that could cost alot of $$$ cuz the car has 140k miles on it. Thanks for ure help!
If that indeed is the origin of the leak, you have a major problem. See a mechanic you trust.

Search for "OPS replacement" in the 4th gen forum to see the procedure involved.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:31 PM

Re: MAJOR oil leak... oil pressure sender unit?

mine is leaking too but my mechanic who works at a nissan dealership said it was no problem....he said they all do it at one time or another and that they usually dont leak enough to be noticable
Old 10-17-2002, 04:51 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Re: MAJOR oil leak... oil pressure sender unit?

Originally posted by 97MaximaSE
mine is leaking too but my mechanic who works at a nissan dealership said it was no problem....he said they all do it at one time or another and that they usually dont leak enough to be noticable
ah damn but the prob is i don't know if it's the oil pressure sender or not lol.

It leaks quite a bit for me... and after a while when the car stops, it kinda goes away... but then again this probably with all oil leaks. I just hope it's not a gasket or something.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I believe the oil sender is on the back of the engine near the oil filter. Your leak is on wrong side of the car! Time to get a mechanic you trust to look at it! Sorry
Old 10-17-2002, 05:05 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by karguy
I believe the oil sender is on the back of the engine near the oil filter. Your leak is on wrong side of the car! Time to get a mechanic you trust to look at it! Sorry

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

thanks tho

anyone have any idea what it could be? My cousin suggested a gasket.... but he said that costs major $$...
Old 10-17-2002, 05:14 PM

Make sure it is motor oil and not tranny oil. Check the level of your tranny oil. Maybe just a gasket and hopefully not worse than that. You may want to jack up the front end, put it on jack stands, and go in for a better look to pinpoint the problem. I tend not to trust repair shops so find out as much as you can of the problem/source before resigning yourself to a professional.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:17 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Mishmosh
Make sure it is motor oil and not tranny oil. Check the level of your tranny oil. Maybe just a gasket and hopefully not worse than that. You may want to jack up the front end, put it on jack stands, and go in for a better look to pinpoint the problem. I tend not to trust repair shops so find out as much as you can of the problem/source before resigning yourself to a professional.
It's motor oil. My cousin and his friend said it could probably be a gasket... what are gaskets?? They said it could cost major $$ cuz the mechanic would have to take out the lower half of the engine block... any thoughts guys?
Old 10-17-2002, 05:28 PM

It's motor oil. My cousin and his friend said it could probably be a gasket... what are gaskets?? They said it could cost major $$ cuz the mechanic would have to take out the lower half of the engine block... any thoughts guys?
Are you sure it's motor oil and not gear oil. Based on your other post, that sound you described could very well be the diffential bearings and if so that would explain a leak in that area perfectly. It would be pretty hard for motor oil to leak in that area without completely coating the tranny as well.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:45 PM

the oil pressure sending unit is right behind the drain plug, its on the oil pan itself. Not a big problem changing it. AS it goes for the otehr leak it also could be a bad Cv boot just get under the car and start poking around
Old 10-17-2002, 05:59 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by iwannabmw

Are you sure it's motor oil and not gear oil. Based on your other post, that sound you described could very well be the diffential bearings and if so that would explain a leak in that area perfectly. It would be pretty hard for motor oil to leak in that area without completely coating the tranny as well.
I don't know if this helps or not.... but check out the pics i took:

http://snow.prohosting.com/nprimex1/oil_leak/

You know what, I'm not 100% sure it's motor oil... i don't know what gear oil looks or smells like so it could be that too. But i'm pretty sure it is motor oil because it smells like it.

BTW- the sound that i had has been there for a while, except today i really pushed the car when driving to exactly make out that sound w/ my cousin... possibly that screwed it even more?
Old 10-17-2002, 06:54 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

ah help me! i'm goin nuts, it's still dripping! and I'm sure it's motor oil. I put it on my finger and it has a yellow-ish tint to it.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:13 PM
Granny Driven

My oil pressure sensor used to leak but i fixed it for like 40$ bucks. No probles so far.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:20 PM

ah help me! i'm goin nuts, it's still dripping! and I'm sure it's motor oil. I put it on my finger and it has a yellow-ish tint to it.
Dude, the picture quality sucks but I'm almost certain you are leaking gear/tranny oil. Do not drive the vehicle and check to make sure the tranny oil is not fully depleted. Some of the side pics show, from what I can tell, an area right where the transmission drain bolt is located. No way motor oil gets that far to the drivers side of the car.

If you do get tranny oil to refill it, get GL-4 tranny oil. Again, I hope it is some gasket that needs replacing vs. bearing or transmission failure.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:29 PM

It is definitely NOT the OPS. Usually that leaks very very slowly and is on the opposite side of the car. A second look at your pics shows the leak to be on the outside of the where the shifter linkage is. Definitely transmission territory.

With 140k, did you have a new clutch put in recently? Did you have a mechanic service your car recently?--I wouldn't even exclude sabotage... I have heard of CV boots being thrashed shortly after a trip to the mechanic, if you know what I mean...
Old 10-17-2002, 08:16 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Mishmosh
It is definitely NOT the OPS. Usually that leaks very very slowly and is on the opposite side of the car. A second look at your pics shows the leak to be on the outside of the where the shifter linkage is. Definitely transmission territory.

With 140k, did you have a new clutch put in recently? Did you have a mechanic service your car recently?--I wouldn't even exclude sabotage... I have heard of CV boots being thrashed shortly after a trip to the mechanic, if you know what I mean...
Sorry for the crap pics... the camera sucks.

BUT YES, you guys are right. What i did was i took some kitchen towel paper and used motor oil from the dipstick to seep and absorb in the tissue then i absorbed the leaking oil and compared...

The motor oil was a more dark brownish yellow color and the leaking oil was more clear and almost like water... then i smelled both of em, motor oil had that sweet kinda smell whereas the tranny oil stank bad. So definately it's not the same oil... and it is leaking from the transmission area... which is probably even more bad. Could it be a gasket in the transmission? blah! this sucks, it's probably gonna cost and assload now. anyone had this leaking problem?

BTW- i'm not sure, is there a dipstick for the tranny oil in a 5-spd? If not, how do i check to see if i have enough to drive about 6 miles to the mechanic....
Old 10-17-2002, 09:02 PM

Gear oil smells very bad and will stay a yellowish color much longer than motor oil. Motor oil darkens up pretty much after the first start, gear oil will stay yellowish for mulitple thousands of miles.

There is no dipstick for the 5 speed. The tranny is filled properly when the level is at the bottom of the fill plug hole. You'll have to remove that using a 1/2 socket drive and stick your finger in there. If you can feel fluid your good.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:07 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by iwannabmw
Gear oil smells very bad and will stay a yellowish color much longer than motor oil. Motor oil darkens up pretty much after the first start, gear oil will stay yellowish for mulitple thousands of miles.

There is no dipstick for the 5 speed. The tranny is filled properly when the level is at the bottom of the fill plug hole. You'll have to remove that using a 1/2 socket drive and stick your finger in there. If you can feel fluid your good.

dang, alright then it's definately tranny oil. I don't get how this occured... it happened all today. It wasn't leaking yesterday because i checked my garage and didn't see any oil at all.

This is not cool... do you guys think this problem may be somehow related to the weird sound my car makes when i accelerate (kinda like a whining sound... "whaaaaa-whaaa-whaa-wha" gets faster as i accelerates) Ben said it was probably differential bearing... but then again i've had this problem before the leak. ARGH!!!!!!

anyone have any experience w/ some sort of tranny leak??
Old 10-18-2002, 05:58 AM

dang, alright then it's definately tranny oil. I don't get how this occured... it happened all today. It wasn't leaking yesterday because i checked my garage and didn't see any oil at all.

This is not cool... do you guys think this problem may be somehow related to the weird sound my car makes when i accelerate (kinda like a whining sound... "whaaaaa-whaaa-whaa-wha" gets faster as i accelerates) Ben said it was probably differential bearing... but then again i've had this problem before the leak. ARGH!!!!!!

anyone have any experience w/ some sort of tranny leak??
It could be related. If it is the bearings, it would describe the problem perfectly. The bearings can begin to fail and make noise for a long time before they will be worn enough to cause a leak. If the whine is at a constant volume and increases in pitch as the car accelerates through first gear, then starts over again and increases in pitch through second, this is normal and not a problem. It took me a long time to realize the tranny sounds like that. If the sound increases and decreases in volume in a rythmic fashion, the bearings could be the culprit.

If you look at the point where the axle goes into the transmission and find a leak there and play in the driveshaft it is most likely a bearing problem. Another common leak on this transmission is the big black switch located towards the drivers side on the lower half of the transmission. This is an easy fix. Internal seal leaks aren't that common but certainly are possible.