4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Switching brake rotors, quick question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 10:47 AM
Don't trust me, I'm sneaky

Switching brake rotors, quick question

Hey everyone who switched brake rotors -

All i do is take wheel off

take caliper off

bang off rotor (there aren't any more bolts on it, right)

put new rotor on

put caliper on

put wheel on

Right? Am I missing any details here? Do I have to do anything to the new rotors or anything like that? My conceptual process seems pretty simple, but I am always paranoid about messing up my baby.

Old 10-18-2002, 11:15 AM

Re: Switching brake rotors, quick question

Originally posted by SlavDaddy

Right? Am I missing any details here? Do I have to do anything to the new rotors or anything like that? My conceptual process seems to simple, but I am always paranoid about messing up my baby.

[/B]
Your process might be simple but it's accurate
Old 10-18-2002, 11:21 AM

Sounds right, except for the part about banging off the old rotors... you can mess something up that way. Take your new rotors down to the autoparts store and get the right sized metric bolt that fits into the two threaded holes on each side of the rotor. Put these bolts into the holes, and slowly tighten them in, and pop... the old rotor will pop right off. Also, new rotors are usually coated in oil to keep them from rusting. You don't want that oil getting on your brake pads. Get some brake cleaner and thoroughly get all that packing oil off.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by wharper
Sounds right, except for the part about banging off the old rotors... you can mess something up that way. Take your new rotors down to the autoparts store and get the right sized metric bolt that fits into the two threaded holes on each side of the rotor. Put these bolts into the holes, and slowly tighten them in, and pop... the old rotor will pop right off. Also, new rotors are usually coated in oil to keep them from rusting. You don't want that oil getting on your brake pads. Get some brake cleaner and thoroughly get all that packing oil off.
I did my brakes not too long ago and didn't have to bang it or tighten bolts to pop it out, they came right off. Depends how bad they are I guess.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:30 AM

thanks

Cool - I just needed confirmation there. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:30 AM

Hey,
I just replaced mine a week ago. Your exactly right with your process. In the back it is a little harder if u are replacing the rotors with non oem ones. I got the stillen ones, which are a little bigger (with the new pads). In the front you can just squeeze the piston back into place, but in the back u need a special tool becuase it turns as it squeezes the caliper. I was lucky cuz we were doing it at the gas station my buddy works at.
Good Luck,
Dan
Old 10-18-2002, 12:08 PM

The last step that you are missing is to correctly bed the rotors.
Old 10-18-2002, 02:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wharper
[B]Sounds right, except for the part about banging off the old rotors... you can mess something up that way. Take your new rotors down to the autoparts store and get the right sized metric bolt that fits into the two threaded holes on each side of the rotor. Put these bolts into the holes, and slowly tighten them in, and pop... the old rotor will pop right off.

Get 2 M10 x 1.25 bolts for front rotors and 2 M8 x 1.25 bolts for rear rotors. I found them at Pep Boys. I got bolts that were 400mm long. I don't like beating on rotor with hammer, can't be good on bearings!
Old 10-18-2002, 03:19 PM

I recommend investing in a new set of brake pads.
Old 10-18-2002, 03:30 PM

pads

Actually, I just got a new set of brake pads not too long ago. Everyone who ever wrote bout x-drilled rotors is right - I am just doing it for looks. My slow *** would just lose money and/or time trying to race someone, so more stopping power isn't really my thing. Just looks . Thanks though.