4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

pics of rear stock struts please...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 10:56 PM
Custom User Title...

pics of rear stock struts please...

can someone please show me pictures of what rear struts should look like? the guy i bought them from (replacement stock) called me and said he might have given me front ones because we have shocks in the rear? all i know is i went to meineke and they told me my rear struts were blown and that's why my car has been making the noise. so...can someone please show me what i am supposed to have? i'm pretty sure i have the right ones i just want to make sure. btw, the ones i bought were stock 96 gle's with only 20k miles on them. thanx
Old 10-19-2002, 11:38 PM
syc

Re: pics of rear stock struts please...

Originally posted by Jepht20
can someone please show me pictures of what rear struts should look like? the guy i bought them from (replacement stock) called me and said he might have given me front ones because we have shocks in the rear? all i know is i went to meineke and they told me my rear struts were blown and that's why my car has been making the noise. so...can someone please show me what i am supposed to have? i'm pretty sure i have the right ones i just want to make sure. btw, the ones i bought were stock 96 gle's with only 20k miles on them. thanx

I can't think of a link to the stock shocks pic, but here is one of the AGX one. http://images.cardomain.com/installs...27_18_full.jpg
the smaller ones are the rears and look like stock except the stock is black
Old 10-20-2002, 05:56 PM
Custom User Title...

does anyone have any suggestions to what i should look out for to make sure they are ok? i was told they have only 20k miles on them and they're gle...so is there any way i can test they still work perfect? before i drive all the way home to have them installed....thanx
Old 10-20-2002, 06:19 PM
syc

Originally posted by Jepht20
does anyone have any suggestions to what i should look out for to make sure they are ok? i was told they have only 20k miles on them and they're gle...so is there any way i can test they still work perfect? before i drive all the way home to have them installed....thanx
it's really hard, the only thing you could do is check if there is any leak of fluid if it is not installed on the car. the best way is to buy a pair of new rears (or all 4 of them), and you'll be sure the rears are balanced. get some KYB GR2 for around $60 each since you got stock spring. by the way, how the mechanic determined you got blown shock?
Old 10-20-2002, 11:18 PM
Custom User Title...

those do look like the tokico stock ones i bought but yes they're black. i would buy new ones but i right now don't want to spend over $100 on them if i can get used ones for cheap because i don't have a job and am in school. basically, the people at meineke have been helping me try to diagnose what the noise was for months; trying different things like moving exhaust pipe a little and putting smaller hangers on. they did all this for free and weren't just trying to get me to buy things from them. i don't know specifically how he knew they were blown, i don't remember if he said they leaked or what but it makes sense that that's where the problem comes from. i'm pretty sure i'm running on original suspension still too, so it's no suprise they need to be replaced.