4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Will a used maxima remote work on my car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 07:46 AM

Will a used maxima remote work on my car?

I bought my car used (96SE), and it came without the remotes for the door lock/unlock, trunk and panic.

I've seen used ones on ebay. Will these work, and what is involved in mating them to my car.

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Will a used maxima remote work on my car?

Originally posted by forest
I bought my car used (96SE), and it came without the remotes for the door lock/unlock, trunk and panic.

I've seen used ones on ebay. Will these work, and what is involved in mating them to my car.

Thanks.
It depends if your car has the keyless entry feature. I'm not sure if it was standard or not on the SE.

But if you do have that feature, its REALLY easy to program a remote off eBay. I bought one for $20, and it took less than a minute to program. The instructions are here: http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...mote-entry.gif
Old 10-21-2002, 09:17 AM

Re: Re: Will a used maxima remote work on my car?

Originally posted by co_maxima98

It depends if your car has the keyless entry feature. I'm not sure if it was standard or not on the SE.

But if you do have that feature, its REALLY easy to program a remote off eBay. I bought one for $20, and it took less than a minute to program. The instructions are here: http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...mote-entry.gif
I have a 97 SE and I bought my keyless through nissan... the part was a buck 20... If your car has the keyless entry package like co max said your good to go, in my opinion i would just get the keyless for 20 bucks off ebay, try it.. if it doesn't work someone would probably buy it off you from the .org or something. just some ideas
good luck
Old 10-21-2002, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone know a way to determine if I have the remote entry option?

If not, I'll be going for the $20 ebay experiment.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:34 AM
^ Jeff™

Something called the Security & Comfort package. I have the stock alarm, yet I can't get the remotes to work. If anyone could post what exactly comes in the S&C package that would be great.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the replies.

not all maximas came with keyless entry. all GLE models and the SE/GXE with the C&C package have keyless. so if you have the components of the C&C you have order yourself a remote to program to your car. things to look for on your car are security system, power push button trunk pop, imtermittent wipers, sunroof, power seat etc...

another way to know is to get in your car, shut and lock the doors, stick your key in the ignition 6-7 in 10 seconds and see if the hazards flash twice in the gauge cluster. if they flash you can pick up the remotes on ebay

taken from previous post by Requin6

I just bought one off ebay and programmed it. When you get it just send me a message and I will fill you in on how to program it. It is really easy.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:54 AM

Bingo!

"FLASH" "FLASH"

It worked. Off to ebay to pick up a remote. Thanks everybody.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Adding keyless feature?

When you guys says "hazards", you just mean the left & right turn signals turning on at the same time, right?

If so, I guess my Maxima doesn't have the keyless feature. Is this an easy feature to add? I did a quick search here and I can't find a thread about it. I don't care about alarm, I just want to open my doors with a remote.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:24 PM

Why did I wait so long?

Got the remote. Got it programmed. Thanks again everyone.

If anyone had told me that I could roll the windows down with the remote, I would have gotten one the day I bought the car.

Damn that's cool! I love my Max even more. Best $20 I've spent.

Old 11-16-2002, 09:22 AM

Re: Why did I wait so long?

Got the remote. Got it programmed. Thanks again everyone.

If anyone had told me that I could roll the windows down with the remote, I would have gotten one the day I bought the car.

Damn that's cool! I love my Max even more. Best $20 I've spent.

You can roll your windows down with your remote>> what year do u own??
Old 11-16-2002, 11:35 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

I have a 96 SE 5spd and if I hold the unlock button down for 2-3 secs it will start winding both front windows down until I let go of the button. In summer I'll open the windows a crack from my office so it's more bearable to get in.

I love the staged unlock too. No need to have all the doors unlock as you get to your car. Wish my wife's car did that (95 Pontiac GP)
Old 11-16-2002, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by Scruit
I have a 96 SE 5spd and if I hold the unlock button down for 2-3 secs it will start winding both front windows down until I let go of the button. In summer I'll open the windows a crack from my office so it's more bearable to get in.

I love the staged unlock too. No need to have all the doors unlock as you get to your car. Wish my wife's car did that (95 Pontiac GP)
Woah! This is news to me! I dont have a remote either, when I bought my car it didnt have the remote. Im just now getting one from ebay and cant wait.
SO wait let me get this straight u can also make sure that all doors dont open? How does this work? Thank u so much, this is the best information I ever heard.
unless u have a cure to fix my window problem.. it will roll down but is slwo rolling up.
Old 11-16-2002, 02:15 PM

Woah! This is news to me! I dont have a remote either, when I bought my car it didnt have the remote. Im just now getting one from ebay and cant wait.
SO wait let me get this straight u can also make sure that all doors dont open? How does this work? Thank u so much, this is the best information I ever heard.
unless u have a cure to fix my window problem.. it will roll down but is slow rolling up.
Old 11-16-2002, 02:20 PM

unless u have a cure to fix my window problem.. it will roll down but is slow rolling up.
Old 11-18-2002, 06:40 AM

MystiWink,

Looks like you got your question answered, but I also have a 96 SE.

Remote functions like this....

Push "unlock" once - Driver door unlocks

Push "unlock" twice - All doors unlock

Push and hold "unlock" - Front windows roll down as long as you hold the button. (i.e. you can crack the windows or roll them all the way down if you keep button held down.)

2 other things:

Read the preceeding respponses on this thread to ensure you have the C&S pkg. The Key in and out of the iginition tells it all.

When buying the remote, some will say Infiniti some will say Nissan. They will both work fine (as long as 1995-1999), but if you are paticular about brand mathcing. Ask which one is molded in to the remote.

BTW- Mine says Infiniti, but I don't give a S*%@.

Good luck and have fun with the window trick. When I showed my wife, it was just like the Jetta commercial. I was so torqued I didn't realize she had already turned around and walked in the house. She thinks I love the car too much already.
Old 11-18-2002, 06:44 AM

MystiWink,

Looks like you got your question answered, but I also have a 96 SE.

Remote functions like this....

Push "unlock" once - Driver door unlocks

Push "unlock" twice - All doors unlock

Push and hold "unlock" - Front windows roll down as long as you hold the button. (i.e. you can crack the windows or roll them all the way down if you keep button held down.)

2 other things:

Read the preceeding respponses on this thread to ensure you have the C&S pkg. The Key in and out of the iginition tells it all.

When buying the remote, some will say Infiniti some will say Nissan. They will both work fine (as long as 1995-1999), but if you are paticular about brand mathcing. Ask which one is molded in to the remote.

BTW- Mine says Infiniti, but I don't give a S*%@.

Good luck and have fun with the window trick. When I showed my wife, it was just like the Jetta commercial. I was so torqued I didn't realize she had already turned around and walked in the house. She thinks I love the car too much already.
Thank you all so much!The Jetta commercial is exactly what I was thinking when I heard that. I thank u so much for your write up!
Some people just dont care for the lil things about a car, I personally think this is a BIG thing! I love my car~