4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: shuddering feeling when letting off gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 09:13 AM

IMPORTANT UPDATE: shuddering feeling when letting off gas

Just got my repair done for the odd shuddering feeling when letting off gas. Happens at any speed, but not consistently. I was told by .orgers things to check like motor mounts, wheel bearings, transmission bearings etc...

Mechanic told me it was a loose/failing tie rod end!

If this part fails at interstate speeds, for sure the max is totaled and you could be dead!

Please those of you that had a similiar problem, get it repaired immediately for your own safety.

Burrell
Old 10-21-2002, 09:27 AM
I aim to misbehave.

Re: IMPORTANT UPDATE: shuddering feeling when letting off gas

Originally posted by burrll_gee
Just got my repair done for the odd shuddering feeling when letting off gas. Happens at any speed, but not consistently. I was told by .orgers things to check like motor mounts, wheel bearings, transmission bearings etc...

Mechanic told me it was a loose/failing tie rod end!

If this part fails at interstate speeds, for sure the max is totaled and you could be dead!

Please those of you that had a similiar problem, get it repaired immediately for your own safety.

Burrell

Thanks for the heads-up! Is this something we can check ourselves, or is it best left to a professional mechanic?
Old 10-21-2002, 09:35 AM

Hmm, it could be as simple as your throttle cable is not releasing smoothly (tug it back and forth under the hood to ensure free movement), or your engine could be hesitating (in which case, run a bottle of Techron Concentrate). Hopefully, its something cheap like that to fix, and not something more serious.

A little bit of shudder at moderate speeds (~35-40 MPH) is characteristic of the automatic transmission. I get a slight shudder if I am accelerating very gently (hardly any gas) and the transmission shifts into 4th gear lockup, causing a rapid rpm drop and the car shudders for just a little bit.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by Eric L.
Hmm, it could be as simple as your throttle cable is not releasing smoothly (tug it back and forth under the hood to ensure free movement), or your engine could be hesitating (in which case, run a bottle of Techron Concentrate). Hopefully, its something cheap like that to fix, and not something more serious.

A little bit of shudder at moderate speeds (~35-40 MPH) is characteristic of the automatic transmission. I get a slight shudder if I am accelerating very gently (hardly any gas) and the transmission shifts into 4th gear lockup, causing a rapid rpm drop and the car shudders for just a little bit.
Eric..I'm with you. 1) Clean the throttle body. 2) Clean the throttle cable off and DON'T put any lube on it. 3) Set the idle speed according to the Nissan manual. These steps could help fix your problem.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:11 AM
dot dot dot ...

Seems weird a tie rod end would do this. But maybe, I thought for sure it would been engine mounts.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:18 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Tie Rod End huh? I'm suprised you didn't feel your car drift all over the road as well. Being a FWD car, I can see why you only felt it when engine load changed.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:31 AM
dot dot dot ...

Mine used drift all over and the steerring felt 'loose', but after I got an alignment, all the looseness went away.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:19 PM

Eric L and GoldMax... did you guys even read my post? Honestly? it was a statement of warning to others... not a question... the question was last week...

wheres that hello and welcome to last week image when ya need it?

You guys need to pay attention if youre going to give advice!

BG