4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What is a Knock Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 01:43 PM
I need a truck

What is a Knock Sensor?

Ok. I jinx'd myself last night .. i told me dad my car was running beautifully and then today i get a CEL. It turns out to be a 0304 which is the knock sensor. Now when i did a search i read a few threads about people who take their car to a mechanic and they say it's a bogus code ...

what i want to know is, where is the knock sensor? and what is its purpose on my car?

I did a search and came up with nothing so don't say anything
Old 10-22-2002, 01:47 PM
Administrator

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php
Old 10-22-2002, 01:51 PM
I need a truck

Re: What is a Knock Sensor?

Originally posted by Conrad283
I did a search
Old 10-22-2002, 01:51 PM

Ok. I jinx'd myself last night .. i told me dad my car was running beautifully and then today i get a CEL. It turns out to be a 0304 which is the knock sensor. Now when i did a search i read a few threads about people who take their car to a mechanic and they say it's a bogus code ...

what i want to know is, where is the knock sensor? and what is its purpose on my car?

You could not have searched very well. There are about 30 threads on this sensor.

SuDZ
Old 10-22-2002, 01:52 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

WHAT IS A KNOCK SENSOR?Ok
When you hit yourself in the head really hard, your reaction is to scream. The thing that causes your reaction is your knock sensor.

Old 10-22-2002, 03:56 PM

If you don't have any other codes, change it, if you do what are they. The sensor is under the intake manifold, my haynes manual says you have to take both the lower and upper manifold off. Screw that, if you have small hands or know somebody who does, you can reach in there and get to it with a wratchet(12mm socket). You can get a wrench with a pivoting extension but I couldn't get the damn thing to tourque(there wasn't enough space).

Don't flame me sprint...we were both right
Old 10-22-2002, 04:33 PM

Re: Re: What is a Knock Sensor?

Originally posted by KINGMAX

If you don't have any other codes, change it, if you do what are they. The sensor is under the intake manifold, my haynes manual says you have to take both the lower and upper manifold off. Screw that, if you have small hands or know somebody who does, you can reach in there and get to it with a wratchet(12mm socket). You can get a wrench with a pivoting extension but I couldn't get the damn thing to tourque(there wasn't enough space).

Don't flame me sprint we were both right
i am a witness to Will's (kingmax) problems. the only other code he had besides the knock sensor was the speed sensor. up until we changed it the other night... his car ran like junk. well, not junk, but our cars used to be dead even... but 9 times out of ten i would walk all over him. haven't raced yet... but his car pulls alot stronger and steadier now.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: What is a Knock Sensor?

Originally posted by KINGMAX

Don't flame me sprint...we were both right
Old 10-22-2002, 06:29 PM
I need a truck

Re: Re: Re: What is a Knock Sensor?

screw it ... the CEL went off
Old 10-22-2002, 06:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What is a Knock Sensor?

don't worry, it will come back.

my KS code first came in combination with the rear heated O2 sensor code, then they both went away.

it came back along with the ECTS code. i replaced the ECTS and both codes went away.

now it's back along with some other oxygen sensor code (0707 i think?). i guess this time i'm going to break down and spend the money on a damn KS. maybe that will finally cure it.

speaking of which, anyone purchased a KS sensor RECENTLY at a good price? any suggestions on current specials would be much appreciated.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What is a Knock Sensor?

The CEL usually doesn't light for a knock sensor; I bet the 0304 code is still there. When you push pedal aggressively and hold it to accellerate, does it surge or feel like the power isn't a constant hard linear pull, like something else is modulating the gas pedal? It's the KS.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What is a Knock Sensor?

Originally posted by TooMAX

The CEL usually doesn't light for a knock sensor; I bet the 0304 code is still there. When you push pedal aggressively and hold it to accellerate, does it surge or feel like the power isn't a constant hard linear pull, like something else is modulating the gas pedal? It's the KS.

That is exactly how my car felt before I changed it(the CEL did light for me) I had "bumpy" acceleration and loss of power.

and sprint...that kiss can go to my butt ...J/K
Old 10-23-2002, 05:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SE Maxima

speaking of which, anyone purchased a KS sensor RECENTLY at a good price? any suggestions on current specials would be much appreciated.
Yeah, I got a 5th gen knock sensor off of ebay for $25! It required a modification to the wiring harness (the connector shape is different), but other than that, there is no difference between 4th gen and 5th gen knock sensors. My car has been running great since I replaced the KS.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SE Maxima
I just bought one from Jerry Rome Nissan for $120 shipped. He put in the order on Monday, and in a few minutes I had recieved a tracking number, and the part came in on Friday. Check the group deal section to contact them. Ken was who I delt with.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thats a lucky break! 25 dollars, i wish i could get one for that.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What is a Knock Sensor?

Originally posted by ShortT

I just bought one from Jerry Rome Nissan for $120 shipped. He put in the order on Monday, and in a few minutes I had recieved a tracking number, and the part came in on Friday. Check the group deal section to contact them. Ken was who I delt with.
excellent!! thanks for the tip. i wish i could get one for less than that, but i'll take what i can get.

appreciate the help.--D