4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

PITA Front End Vibration: Progress

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 02:26 PM

PITA Front End Vibration: Progress

Boy, do I have a letter to write. To the place (from here on referred to as those "scum sucking b@st@rds" that sold me my last set of tires and did my rear brakes.

First off, I ended up taking the car to a dreaded (?) dealer (Devon Nissan, Devon, PA) to check out the vibration. Lo and behold, dealer sez that all 4 of the tires were out of wack, some by as little as 0.25 oz, some by nearly an ounce. If they were all out by the same amount I'd say somebody was tryin to snow me, but the fact that they were all different makes me (hopefully) believe the dealer tech. So that would definately be the reason why rotating the tires all over the place did nada to fix the pbm. Thing is, I've had the car back to the "scum sucking b@st@rds" 4 times to correct the balance and they always said, "Tires are dead on." Riiiiight.

Point #2: One of the tires has something wrong with the belt - a bubble, bend, somethin'. Funny, I mentioned I felt something wrong w/ one tire to the "scum sucking b@st@rds" that put the tires on in the first place right after they put em on. "Oh no," they said, "There's nothin' wrong with them." Riiiiight.

Point #3: The "scum sucking b@st@rds" that put on the tires was also offering a cheap inspection at the time (we here in PA have to suffer through these d@mn things) and said the back brakes were out of spec and needed to be replaced. Since the inspection is pay up pass or fail I said go ahead and do it and opted for OEM equip. to keep things nice and simple. Riiiiiight. Dealer sez no hardware (shims, springs, etc.) are on the back brakes *and* the pads are aftermarket and too big which hit the rusty area of the rotor and causes the rubbing sound I hear at slow speeds and the sqeeeeeeeealing when I brake when backing up.

So, I will take hold of my dear Max with a fresh alignment (advertised dealer special, what the heck - it was out of whack anyway but, as several mentioned, not the cause of the vibrations), newly balanced tires, and my own 60K tune up (ain't that fuel filter fun?) and love my Max again (I hope). Then I will sit down in front of my computer and write a really exacting and potentially libelous letter to the "scum sucking b@st@rds" (Valley Forge Auto, Phoenixville, PA if you must know...)

*sigh* Can't wait to hit the highway for the drive home

Tof