4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

gas question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2000, 05:48 PM

...just wondering about what octane to put in my car...are we suppose to use premium...or does it matter...and is it different for SE models

thanks in advance
Old 12-24-2000, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by 96maxi
...just wondering about what octane to put in my car...are we suppose to use premium...or does it matter...and is it different for SE models

thanks in advance
Nissan recommends fuel with 91 Anti-Knock Index. Most stations sell three grades of gasoline: 87, 89, and 93 AKI. I fill with equal amounts of 89 and 93. That's the economical way to buy 91 AKI.

Your Maxima has a Knock Sensor. When the KS "hears" engine knock (pinging) it signals the Engine Control Module (the computer). The ECM responds by retarding the ignition timing to eliminate the knocking.

You can run with 87 AKI without harming your engine. The consequences are
- less engine power
- more fuel consumption

Some Maxima owners keep careful records of fuel usage. They report that the extra cost of 91 AKI fuel is partially offset by the improved fuel efficiency. Perhaps you can measure your own Miles Per Gallon with both grades of gasoline. Don't rely on a single tankful, it takes careful readings over 1,000 miles of driving to arrive at an accurate number.

All 4Gen Maximas have the same engine, and same AKI requirement.
Old 12-24-2000, 06:15 PM

thanks

for the info
Old 12-24-2000, 07:27 PM

OWNER'S MANUAL SAYS MIN 91 OCTANE
Old 12-25-2000, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Originally posted by 96maxi

thanks in advance
Nissan recommends fuel with 91 Anti-Knock Index. Most stations sell three grades of gasoline: 87, 89, and 93 AKI. I fill with equal amounts of 89 and 93. That's the economical way to buy 91 AKI.

Your Maxima has a Knock Sensor. When the KS "hears" engine knock (pinging) it signals the Engine Control Module (the computer). The ECM responds by retarding the ignition timing to eliminate the knocking.

You can run with 87 AKI without harming your engine. The consequences are
- less engine power
- more fuel consumption

Some Maxima owners keep careful records of fuel usage. They report that the extra cost of 91 AKI fuel is partially offset by the improved fuel efficiency. Perhaps you can measure your own Miles Per Gallon with both grades of gasoline. Don't rely on a single tankful, it takes careful readings over 1,000 miles of driving to arrive at an accurate number.

All 4Gen Maximas have the same engine, and same AKI requirement.
how would u accurately go about measuring your MPG? Do u fill up and run it to empty a few times and average it out? run it to half or what? never knew how magazines and people measured mpg accurately...
Old 12-25-2000, 10:16 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Economy

Here's what i do. Fill your tank till top off, not overfill, just until the pump clicks off. Run the tank down to almost empty and then top it off again. Make sure you looked at you mileage before you filled it the first time. Take the difference in the miles you went and divide by the number of gallons you put in at the second fill up and boom, MPG.
________
Live Sex

Last edited by dmbmaxima2k2; 09-04-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-25-2000, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by Gotrice4
how would u accurately go about measuring your MPG? Do u fill up and run it to empty a few times and average it out? run it to half or what? never knew how magazines and people measured mpg accurately...
Keep a written record of all fuel purchases. Start out by filling the tank and writing the odometer reading. From that point on, record the number of gallons purchased. There is no requirement to fill the tank each and every time. After you have recorded at least one month's worth of purchases, fill the tank and note the odometer reading. Sum all fuel purchases. Subtract the start-of-test odometer reading from the current reading. Now you have the total miles traveled and the total gallons of fuel comsumed. Divide to calculate Miles Per Gallon.

The reason for making this measurement over a period of weeks or months is to reduce the error introduced by inconsistent fill-ups.

The magazines use a precise flow-measurement device installed in the fuel line. This gives them accurate fuel consumption figures with less than one tankful of gasoline used. It also lets them see instantaneous MPG figures for steady crusing at highway speeds, and also stress conditions such short bursts of acceleration or towing a maximum-rated load.
Old 12-25-2000, 06:30 PM

Uhh... your name... JUST UNORIGINAL... try changing it for me
Old 12-25-2000, 06:39 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey

Originally posted by MaxiPad96
Uhh... your name... JUST UNORIGINAL... try changing it for me
Dan is the Man. He knows everything about the MAX and is always lending a hand so he can have whatever he wants for a name even "Maxipad96sucks" no offense.
________
Colorado marijuana dispensaries

Last edited by dmbmaxima2k2; 09-04-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-25-2000, 08:41 PM

Argh..Dan beat me to the punch again. hehe..

Here's the buck. It is simply not true that using regular unleaded will ruin your engine, lead to more carbon deposits, cause your engine to explode, or any of the other myths that people who do use super unleaded claim. Using super unleaded will give you a bit more power (to most people it isn't even noticeable), and a bit more fuel mileage (again, not usually noticeable). And to most people, using the "recommended" fuel makes people feel good (like me).

I usually use super unleaded (92 octane). But I've used regular before, and didn't notice any difference. I even did some timed runs and there was no difference in acceleration times for 92 or 87 octane. In fact, I did a test before where I ran regular for a month. Fuel mileage was the same. If you think about it, if people use super unleaded purely on the basis that it gives better fuel economy, then they've got it all wrong. Super unleaded here in Northern California is $2.00/gallon, compared with $1.80 for regular. So, for me, super is 11% higher priced than regular. So in order to recuperate the costs, I would need to get approximately 2MPG higher with super than regular. 2 MPG seems awfully high.

So, use whichever gas makes you feel the best. You can use regular in your maxima forever and it won't damage the engine. To keep your engine clean, run a bottle of Chevron Techron CONCENTRATE ($8) every 5k miles.

Old 12-28-2000, 11:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Eric L.
To keep your engine clean, run a bottle of Chevron Techron CONCENTRATE ($8) every 5k miles.

OK, I checked the Owner's Manual on my 5th Gen and it says that Nissan does not recommend the use of fuel additives as they may contain active ingredients that could damage the injectors or engine. I read one post where someone actually had an injector go bad after using a fuel additive although, presumably, this could have been caused by some other factor. Has anyone else experienced a problem using fuel additives, specifically Chevron Techron CONCENTRATE?