4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cost to replace 2nd gear syncro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 07:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cost to replace 2nd gear syncro?

Anybody have a clue how much it would cost to replace the 2nd gear synchro? Not sure if I need to do it, but I've put it through hell the last few months, and may do it when I replace the clutch.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:44 PM
Dev

Re: Cost to replace 2nd gear syncro?

Originally posted by triax37
Anybody have a clue how much it would cost to replace the 2nd gear synchro? Not sure if I need to do it, but I've put it through hell the last few months, and may do it when I replace the clutch.
im not sure about the replacement,
but how did you wear it out?

by not rev matching?
Old 10-24-2002, 06:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Cost to replace 2nd gear syncro?

I didn't see any kind of high horsepower mods. How did you ruin your 2nd gear?
Old 10-24-2002, 02:25 PM

I don't think I totally ruined it. Pretty much, I purchased the car in June and had never driven a stick before. That inexperience, coupled with 82k on the original clutch/tranny is my cause for concern. Actually, most relevantly, I don't feel like 2nd catches as easily as it did before, sort of bogging down if I'm under 10mph. I didn't know about rev-matching until recently (and am doing it now, trying to get through the winter). Anyway, I did one of the "clutch tests" (accelerating while in 5th) and the clutch appears to be great - but like I said, 2nd gear doesn't catch very cleanly, so I'm thinking that I might need to replace that syncro in the spring. I also have an STS.....

Thoughts?
Old 10-24-2002, 03:46 PM

I don't think I totally ruined it. Pretty much, I purchased the car in June and had never driven a stick before. That inexperience, coupled with 82k on the original clutch/tranny is my cause for concern. Actually, most relevantly, I don't feel like 2nd catches as easily as it did before, sort of bogging down if I'm under 10mph. I didn't know about rev-matching until recently (and am doing it now, trying to get through the winter). Anyway, I did one of the "clutch tests" (accelerating while in 5th) and the clutch appears to be great - but like I said, 2nd gear doesn't catch very cleanly, so I'm thinking that I might need to replace that syncro in the spring. I also have an STS.....

Thoughts?
Yeah if it was your synchro you would hear a metal on metal kinda a fast "*****" sound normally is the tale tale sign of a bad synchro. But, even if you get that you can still drive the car...all it really is bad is on the synchro itself. The part itself is like 60-100 dollars so if you can do it yourself you save a butt load of money other wise your looking at around 300-600 dollars for a rebuild.

You might have the STS set to low/high (however you want to say it) where it is the shortest throw possible that can cause problems going into gear. But if 2nd doesn't catch cleanly then you probalby have a slipping clutch. Because the clutch is what catches and causes you to go in any gear. If your not going in second gear then it is your clutch. I've done a lot of tranny work on the max (dropped it about 10 times and worked on the tranny about 5 times)

If you really think it is a synchro or something then most likely you would have a hard time shifting it into that particular gear. You could always drain the tranny fluid and put new stuff in see how that helps...but if it isn't catching it is a clutch thing.

Just my thoughts,
John
Old 10-24-2002, 09:01 PM

Cranman -

Wow - that's some great info. I mean, the car drives fine, and 2nd still drives great at 10mph and above. The problem is when I am rolling up to a stoplight (~4 mph) and then it turns green. Now that I rev-match, it slips in fine. Before I rev matched though, there was some resistance getting it into gear.

I guess it's fine now - maybe I'll just hold off for now and see if any real problems develop. I'm a very "preventative maintenance" type person, so I'm just trying to think ahead. Thanks everyone!
Old 10-25-2002, 10:15 AM

Cranman -

Wow - that's some great info. I mean, the car drives fine, and 2nd still drives great at 10mph and above. The problem is when I am rolling up to a stoplight (~4 mph) and then it turns green. Now that I rev-match, it slips in fine. Before I rev matched though, there was some resistance getting it into gear.

I guess it's fine now - maybe I'll just hold off for now and see if any real problems develop. I'm a very "preventative maintenance" type person, so I'm just trying to think ahead. Thanks everyone!
No Problem. Yeah most likely with what your saying it might be an early stage of the 2nd gear synchro going (because you said rev matching got rid of the problem)...or you just have a lot of crud in the tranny that needs to be cleaned out. I would suggest for preventative maintence just draining the tranny and putting new gear oil in that sucker (maybe even a flush, but personally I don't think a flush is worth it). I'm glad I was able to assist you and if you have any question feel free to shoot me an email I'll be glad to respond.

-John
Old 10-25-2002, 02:12 PM

It will be very expensive to replace the synchros. I know cause I've had my tranny completely apart, gears pressed apart and all. Anyway, in a nut shell this is what has to happen. Drop the tranny, dissassemble the tranny, press apart the input shaft of the tranny, replace the synchro, press together shaft. Reassemble tranny. Alot of labor. Not to mention the damn nissan trannys are probbly expensive as *****.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong
It will be very expensive to replace the synchros. I know cause I've had my tranny completely apart, gears pressed apart and all. Anyway, in a nut shell this is what has to happen. Drop the tranny, dissassemble the tranny, press apart the input shaft of the tranny, replace the synchro, press together shaft. Reassemble tranny. Alot of labor. Not to mention the damn nissan trannys are probbly expensive as *****.
Yeah, I'm thinking that I can baby the syncro (by rev-matching) until I need to replace the clutch. Once the tranny is apart, most of the $$$ goes to parts on something like this. I do need to replace the fluid though, so I'll probably do that with just regular Nissan GL4 stuff (instead of Redline), since I'll probably pull everything apart in 10-15k miles.

Right now I walk or take the bus to work, so I'm only putting about 250 miles/month on the car. Not worth dealing with all the expense at this point.