4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Do you have odd clutch behaviour?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 01:23 PM
Sin

Do you have odd clutch behaviour?

Just yesterday, I noticed what appeared to be signs of a worn out clutch. I shifted into 2nd from a pretty slow speed (around 2200rpm in 2nd), and floored it, without my left foot on the clutch pedal at all. The revs climbed with little acceleration. For the rest of the drive home, it simply felt like my clutch was on its last legs.

Thus, I started clutch shopping (settled on ACT stage II from Pablo at ISP Motorsports), and started asking around as to how long most org members got out of their stock clutches. The range varied MUCH more than I expected. I guess driving behaviour plays a much larger role than I expected on clutch life.

Today, as I drove my car, I babied it, trying to prevent slippage, while paying close attention to slippage. However, for some reason, the slippage is gone, and my clutch feels better than it has in weeks. I was chirping 2nd all day long, without even trying. My clutch feels like it's well within operating parameters today, yet less 24 hours ago, it felt like it was going to go at anytime.

The only thing I can think of is, that it is my clutch master cylinder seal. I highly doubt the clutch master cylinder itself is damaged or worn.

So the million dollar question is, is the clutch master cylinder on the 4th gen 5 spd a common failure point?

Since, if there is a problem, it would be in the seals, I tried to price out new seals, which should only be about $5 each. So I called up some local dealerships, you cannot purchase the seals alone. You must purchase the pistons with the seals already installed. So the $5-15 price jumps to $79. ****!!!

But with the clutch operating better than it has been in weeks, I think I'm just going keep a close eye on the clutch for the near future. If problems persist, and I am told the clutch master cylinder is known to have seal problems, I'll change them up.

BTW, I'm still getting the ACT. C'mon, why not?
Old 10-24-2002, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Re: Do you have odd clutch behaviour?

Originally posted by Sin
Thus, I started clutch shopping (settled on ACT stage II from Pablo at ISP Motorsports
no such thing
Old 10-24-2002, 02:16 PM

Re: Re: Do you have odd clutch behaviour?

Originally posted by SprintMax

no such thing
Think maybe he means the race one? Hope not.

SuDZ
Old 10-24-2002, 02:19 PM
Sin

It's the NM1-HDMM kit. I've heard it refered to as the stage II. I guess the nomenclature is wrong.

Nonetheless, does anyone have similar clutch behaviour?
Old 10-24-2002, 06:30 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Do you have odd clutch behaviour?

Originally posted by Sin
Just yesterday, I noticed what appeared to be signs of a worn out clutch. I shifted into 2nd from a pretty slow speed (around 2200rpm in 2nd), and floored it, without my left foot on the clutch pedal at all. The revs climbed with little acceleration. For the rest of the drive home, it simply felt like my clutch was on its last legs.

Thus, I started clutch shopping (settled on ACT stage II from Pablo at ISP Motorsports), and started asking around as to how long most org members got out of their stock clutches. The range varied MUCH more than I expected. I guess driving behaviour plays a much larger role than I expected on clutch life.

Today, as I drove my car, I babied it, trying to prevent slippage, while paying close attention to slippage. However, for some reason, the slippage is gone, and my clutch feels better than it has in weeks. I was chirping 2nd all day long, without even trying. My clutch feels like it's well within operating parameters today, yet less 24 hours ago, it felt like it was going to go at anytime.

The only thing I can think of is, that it is my clutch master cylinder seal. I highly doubt the clutch master cylinder itself is damaged or worn.

So the million dollar question is, is the clutch master cylinder on the 4th gen 5 spd a common failure point?

Since, if there is a problem, it would be in the seals, I tried to price out new seals, which should only be about $5 each. So I called up some local dealerships, you cannot purchase the seals alone. You must purchase the pistons with the seals already installed. So the $5-15 price jumps to $79. ****!!!

But with the clutch operating better than it has been in weeks, I think I'm just going keep a close eye on the clutch for the near future. If problems persist, and I am told the clutch master cylinder is known to have seal problems, I'll change them up.

BTW, I'm still getting the ACT. C'mon, why not?
Are you suggesting that your master cylinder seals are binding/dragging? Leaking? Either way fluid will flow past the seals and when the clutch is fully engaged the clutch master cylinder shouldn't affect how the clutch holds. Sounds like there were/may be binding in the pressure plate release fingers. Maybe your pressure plate is on its last legs.