4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Motivational rear upper mounts question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 08:33 PM

Motivational rear upper mounts question...

Since the Motivational rear upper mount moves the top part of the spring higher up, does installing this upper mount cause any change in the ride height? IOW, if Maxspeed springs lowers the rear by 1.4", would using the Motivational upper mount in the back cause the rear to be lowered by more than or less than 1.4" or will it result in the exact same lowering as using the stock rear upper mount?

Thanks,

Glen
Old 10-25-2002, 11:03 PM

Re: Motivational rear upper mounts question...

Originally posted by GlenH
Since the Motivational rear upper mount moves the top part of the spring higher up, does installing this upper mount cause any change in the ride height? IOW, if Maxspeed springs lowers the rear by 1.4", would using the Motivational upper mount in the back cause the rear to be lowered by more than or less than 1.4" or will it result in the exact same lowering as using the stock rear upper mount?

Thanks,

Glen
The rear mount from Motivational is shaped differently than the stock one. The level the spring rests on the upper mount is unchanged. The level that the shock mounts to is raised to be level with the spring (as opposed to being slightly lower). The difference in the stock versus Motivational rear upper strut mount yields more suspension travel and therefore less bottoming.

RL
Old 10-25-2002, 11:05 PM

Anyone want to try and get a group deal for this. I'm thinking about getting a set and I go to school in Long Beach. Should be just around the corner.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:17 PM

Re: Re: Motivational rear upper mounts question...

Originally posted by Vesaijan

The rear mount from Motivational is shaped differently than the stock one. The level the spring rests on the upper mount is unchanged. The level that the shock mounts to is raised to be level with the spring

RL
Thanks for the info. Do you know if Motivational or anyone else has a similar upper mount for the front? I have Ground Control's front upper mounts on my G20 and, similar to the Motivational rear mounts, it adds a good inch or so in suspension travel back which significantly improves ride quality and handling.
Old 10-26-2002, 08:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: Motivational rear upper mounts question...

Originally posted by GlenH

Thanks for the info. Do you know if Motivational or anyone else has a similar upper mount for the front? I have Ground Control's front upper mounts on my G20 and, similar to the Motivational rear mounts, it adds a good inch or so in suspension travel back which significantly improves ride quality and handling.
Motivational chops the front struts an inch to complete their package. As far as the upper strut mounts, I don't think this is possible due to the structure of the upper spring seat. Due to the way it's set up, the upper spring seat actually would move upwards and may rub (since it's constantly in motion). But if a company could pull this off, they would be comparable to shortened struts and make for a much cheaper alternative.

RL
Old 10-26-2002, 01:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Motivational rear upper mounts question...

Motivational chops the front struts an inch to complete their package. As far as the upper strut mounts, I don't think this is possible due to the structure of the upper spring seat. Due to the way it's set up, the upper spring seat actually would move upwards and may rub (since it's constantly in motion). But if a company could pull this off, they would be comparable to shortened struts and make for a much cheaper alternative.

RL
Wish that other strut manufactuers would inherit Bilstein's design. We installed a set on my friend's Type-R and you could adjust about .5" of the lower perch where the springs set.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:39 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motivational rear upper mounts question...

Originally posted by Kevin Wong

Wish that other strut manufactuers would inherit Bilstein's design. We installed a set on my friend's Type-R and you could adjust about .5" of the lower perch where the springs set.
Koni rears have that... but that still doesn't get back the piston travel.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motivational rear upper mounts question...

Originally posted by Chunger

Koni rears have that... but that still doesn't get back the piston travel.
Ahhh Chunger, the man with all the good stuff. I was just talking with Ogredave about your setup. He said your car is just about everything he wishes he car was. You got the speed, braking, handling, feel, and about all the comfort and quietness that everyone wants. I'm totally thinking about getting the Motivational rear strut mounts. I currently have the AGX/H&R combo, though I'd like to go with Koni's if the price is right. I was wondering if there was a significant increase in comfort and feel with the Motivational. I'm trying to decipher how much of the ride comfort and control is due to the Koni's versus the AGX and how much is attributed from the Motivational strut mount versus the stock mount.
Old 10-26-2002, 04:00 PM
Former Sponsor

I might be interested in the motivational rear upper mounts... I have coilovers sooo its slightly different?
Old 10-26-2002, 04:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motivational rear upper mounts question...

Ahhh Chunger, the man with all the good stuff. I was just talking with Ogredave about your setup. He said your car is just about everything he wishes he car was. You got the speed, braking, handling, feel, and about all the comfort and quietness that everyone wants. I'm totally thinking about getting the Motivational rear strut mounts. I currently have the AGX/H&R combo, though I'd like to go with Koni's if the price is right. I was wondering if there was a significant increase in comfort and feel with the Motivational. I'm trying to decipher how much of the ride comfort and control is due to the Koni's versus the AGX and how much is attributed from the Motivational strut mount versus the stock mount.
Seriously, no compromises on his mod list at all. But wait, Chunger, didn't you say that you did not cut the bump stops on the front struts?

RL
Old 10-26-2002, 05:36 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motivational rear upper mounts question...

Ahhh Chunger, the man with all the good stuff....You got the speed, braking, handling, feel, and about all the comfort and quietness that everyone wants...

Damn... my secret is out

Dave had both... didn't he tell you the difference? and he doesn't have the rear mounts yet.
Old 10-26-2002, 05:37 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by carnal_c30
I might be interested in the motivational rear upper mounts... I have coilovers sooo its slightly different?
It's cheaper... lucky you...
Old 10-26-2002, 05:38 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motivational rear upper mounts question...

Seriously, no compromises on his mod list at all. But wait, Chunger, didn't you say that you did not cut the bump stops on the front struts?

RL
True.
Old 10-26-2002, 07:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motivational rear upper mounts question...

Damn... my secret is out

Dave had both... didn't he tell you the difference? and he doesn't have the rear mounts yet.
Dont have the rear mounts YET? You tryin to tell me something?

And i did tell him. The koni's are softer/gentler on rebounding. they just feel better. i dunno i might end up going back to konis. They seem to take bumps better, and this was on eibachs .. im on h&r's now.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:56 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motivational rear upper mounts question...

Originally posted by OgreDave

Lying around: (4) 18x7.5 Volk SE37A's, (2) 18x8 SSR Integrals, Wilwood BigBrakes, SS brake lines, 2nd Stillen RSB, Eibach/Koni, MaxSpeeds, Optima Yellowtop, Pod/Guages, 3.25 pulley
Hey man... you better reduce this list... it EXCEEDS your signature allowance!
Old 10-27-2002, 02:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motivational rear upper mounts question...

Hey man... you better reduce this list... it EXCEEDS your signature allowance!
hehe I know just let me know where this stuff is lying around Dave! ya wont have to worry bout it after that!!! j/p
Old 10-28-2002, 12:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motivational rear upper mounts question...

Working on reducing it.. I reduced the Bronze TE37's .. only to replace them w/Bronze SE37A's .. And i think one of the struts & the spare RSB is spoken for.. so .. eventually
Old 10-28-2002, 08:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Motivational rear upper mounts question...

Originally posted by OgreDave
Working on reducing it.. I reduced the Bronze TE37's .. only to replace them w/Bronze SE37A's .. And i think one of the struts & the spare RSB is spoken for.. so .. eventually
I want RSB