4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

AGX bumpstop/dustboot - does it or doesn't it fit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 11:59 PM

AGX bumpstop/dustboot - does it or doesn't it fit?

njmaxseltd says the AGX dustboots won't fit correctly whereas others indicate they do fit.

Someone else mentioned that the Nissan replacement dustboots are much better quality than the thin OEM ones and recommended using the Nissan replacements.

Bottom line - which dustboot should I use if I am installing AGX/Maxspeeds on my 96 GLE? For those who have installed AGX struts and dustboots on a 96, did the dustboots fit correctly?

On another note, does anyone know if the Motivational rear upper mount will work correctly with AGX struts or are they designed specifically for Koni rear struts only?
Old 10-28-2002, 02:15 AM

Since the AGX dustboots already have a trimmed bumpstop, that's already an advantage over OEM replacements. They also seem to be of very good quality too.
HTH
Old 10-28-2002, 05:52 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: AGX bumpstop/dustboot - does it or doesn't it fit?

Originally posted by GlenH
njmaxseltd says the AGX dustboots won't fit correctly whereas others indicate they do fit.
They "fit" on the suspension, but I don't like how there secured on. The OEM dust covers mount securely into the upper perch and hang down over the strut piston.

The KYB covers are Zip Tied onto the strut/shock and stand up on their own from there. They work, but I don't like the design. They should hang down, not stand up.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:02 AM

My bumpstops fit fine
Old 10-28-2002, 07:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my KYB dustboots/bumpstops fit fine. they were a big pain to get over the strut piston though. at first it doesnt seem like they fit, but a little elbow grease slides them over the top of the piston. i also had to push them up on the piston after getting everything in the assembly together (wedging my hand inside of the spring and pushing the boot up to the top of the strut assembly). the zip-tie is kind of odd...but the quality of the boot and not having to trim the bumpstop makes it worthwhile to me.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:01 AM

Thanks guys for the quick responses.

njmaxseltd, since the dustboot fits snugly on the strut piston, is the zip tie really necessary? Would not using the zip tie cause the dustboot to interfere with the movement of the strut piston? Also, is it only the fronts that need this or the rears too?

Finally, is anyone using the motivational rear upper mounts with AGX struts? Do the rear mounts work with any brand of spring and shock?

Thanks again.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I actaully disagree with Tom on this; the dustboots in the rear fit the same way as the OEM's, but prevent debris from going up into the pitson are by zip-tying at the bottom. The zip tie doesn't support the boot, it's merely closes the end of it.

However, I don't know how the fronts are. I only have the rears.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by Lime
I actaully disagree with Tom on this; the dustboots in the rear fit the same way as the OEM's, but prevent debris from going up into the pitson are by zip-tying at the bottom. The zip tie doesn't support the boot, it's merely closes the end of it.

Thanks for the info. What dustboots are you using for the fronts? Did you buy the OEM replacements and cut the bumpstops?
Old 10-28-2002, 10:38 AM

the fronts are the same deal...just slightly different shape. and yes i am with you on the support issue. the boot is held on the strut piston up top...the zip-tie just closes the bottom off.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Requin6

the fronts are the same deal...just slightly different shape. and yes i am with you on the support issue. the boot is held on the strut piston up top...the zip-tie just closes the bottom off.
Is it really necessary to close the bottom off with the zip tie? I've never seen a dustboot with the bottom portion closed in any of my previous cars. Additionally, on my G20, I'm running Ground Control/AGX which does not allow you to fit any dustboot on and I have not had any premature wear or strut failure issues after 2.5 years and 40K miles.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:57 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I actaully disagree with Tom on this

But I still love you Erica
Old 10-28-2002, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by funnylittlman
My bumpstops fit fine
well which ones do you have the kyb or the oem???
Old 10-28-2002, 11:46 AM

i have the stock dustboots and stock bumpstop that hasn't been shaved down, should i be ok with them for now, until i change to kyb, or should i change asap?
Old 10-28-2002, 01:00 PM

Front Dustboots:

You can just barely see the black zip tie at the bottom of the dustboot. I think I helped Tom see the light of the KYB dustboots
However, I still believe that he's the suspension master
-hype