4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

High squeeling sound when turned on the car.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 05:18 PM

High squeeling sound when turned on the car.

I turned on my car a few minutes ago and there was a really loud squeeling sound. I turned the car off in a few seconds. Turned it on and it was a minor squeeling sound and everything went away. The car runs fine and no more squeeling sound, however, I'm scared something might be wrong. I have VB mod, trans cooler, full 60k tuneup, changed my alternator with belts a month ago, new knock sensor, and 3 new coils, frankencar hybrid intake. Anyone know what this could be. Should I check for codes? It was raining last night maybe it was the intake making noise, but I doubt it. I need ideas. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2002, 05:22 PM

Re: High squeeling sound when turned on the car.

Originally posted by orgasmicNYC
I turned on my car a few minutes ago and there was a really loud squeeling sound. I turned the car off in a few seconds. Turned it on and it was a minor squeeling sound and everything went away. The car runs fine and no more squeeling sound, however, I'm scared something might be wrong. I have VB mod, trans cooler, full 60k tuneup, changed my alternator with belts a month ago, new knock sensor, and 3 new coils, frankencar hybrid intake. Anyone know what this could be. Should I check for codes? It was raining last night maybe it was the intake making noise, but I doubt it. I need ideas. Thanks.
Could be starter noise?
Old 11-01-2002, 05:26 PM
I'm needing a caw

Assy belts
Old 11-01-2002, 05:32 PM
What's next!?..

Squeeling is usually a sign of a loose or wet belt.

You said you changed the alternator and belts recently.
Perhaps one of the bolts came loose or was not tightened enough?

Was the car sitting for a while? I know it rained a little tonight. One of the belts might be a little loose and the moisture made it slip for a bit.

A bad starter would give you more of a grinding kind of sound.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:32 PM
jmax

Did you actually change the belts or did a shop "check" the belts? When they start to get old and dried out they will start squealing. After warm up they normally quiet down untill the next cold start. Water makes it worse. A loose idler pulley or idler pulley that is attached incorrectly will also squeal.

Old 11-01-2002, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by jmax
Did you actually change the belts or did a shop "check" the belts? When they start to get old and dred out they will start squealing. Water makes it worse. A loose idler pulley or idler pulley that is attached incorrectly will also squeal.
I had a shop change the alternator belt for like 20 bucks. Going back there tommorrow to tell em I got noise. I've driven a month though with no problem.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Was it right after a car has been standing for a while in the cold weather and would go away right away. If so then it is the Frankencar intake. Now that it is cold in NYC and I installed my Frankencar with Apexi it makes that noice on start up.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:47 PM

i have the same damn problem. It squeels and goes ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Then it goes away when i rev my engine. So, then, its getting annoying. My step father said its teh pullley and i need the pulleys replaced. I dont know what to do because i am broke as a motha and i dont even know how much a replacement on a pulley would cost. Whats a idle pulley? Is there anuything i can do?
Old 11-02-2002, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by SonicDust187
Was it right after a car has been standing for a while in the cold weather and would go away right away. If so then it is the Frankencar intake. Now that it is cold in NYC and I installed my Frankencar with Apexi it makes that noice on start up.
That was my second guess, hopefully it wont happen again but if it does I'm going to retighten the alternator belt check the starter and finnaly the intake.
Old 11-02-2002, 06:42 AM
What's next!?..

Originally posted by dgpfx
i have the same damn problem. It squeels and goes ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Then it goes away when i rev my engine. So, then, its getting annoying. My step father said its teh pullley and i need the pulleys replaced. I dont know what to do because i am broke as a motha and i dont even know how much a replacement on a pulley would cost. Whats a idle pulley? Is there anuything i can do?
loose belt would sound like.. EEEEEEEEEEEEE...
bad starter sounds more like.. EEERRRRRRRRRRR...

Try to get a second or third opinion.

If it's the starter, and you have some mechanical skill, you can try the fix on www.motorvate.ca

My starter used to make this aweful noise when I first turned my car on in the morning also. Only in the winter though. Lived with it for a year or two. Finally replaced it last month. No more noise.

Old 11-02-2002, 07:21 AM
jmax

Originally posted by dgpfx
The idler pulley is a problem area for the Maxima. I've replaced mine twice already. Just over 90k miles. Courtesy has them, I can't remember how much they cost. If you pop the hood and then start the car you can get around quick enough before it warms up and stops squealing. It may be possible to get just a new bearing. But I don't know where to shop for just a bearing.

Old 11-02-2002, 07:48 AM

Could be loose belts, I have that noise in my engine bay also but I think its suposed to be there
Old 11-02-2002, 03:35 PM

Tighned up the alternator belt, took 3 minutes. Car runs great and no more sounds unless you count the intake and exhaust
Old 02-13-2003, 07:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by JPMax

loose belt would sound like.. EEEEEEEEEEEEE...
bad starter sounds more like.. EEERRRRRRRRRRR...

Try to get a second or third opinion.

If it's the starter, and you have some mechanical skill, you can try the fix on www.motorvate.ca

My starter used to make this aweful noise when I first turned my car on in the morning also. Only in the winter though. Lived with it for a year or two. Finally replaced it last month. No more noise.

i believe my belt is loose after installin' a new idler pulley... not sure if i did it correct.. but believe i did... what's the right way of puttin it on...

right when i start the car.. it goes EEEEEEEEE.. for about a second and stops.. and when i start the car again.. it does the same.. i'm nto sure what i did.. maybe installed it wrong?

can i get any help.. thanx a lot!
Old 02-13-2003, 10:11 PM
jmax

Probably just need to tighten it one more turn. You may want to loosen the pulley before pushing it down. Then retighten the pulley.