4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Why is it rice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 08:49 PM

Why is it rice?

Hey,

I was curious as to what people on this board use as the determinate factor when classifying a modification as "RICE."

Okay...I understand the GT-R badges, the overly inflated stickers...etc., but why ALTEZZAS?

I happen to think Altezzas look pretty good on certain maximas, but that has nothing to do with the actual classification of "rice". Why isn't the Red/Clear lenses considered "rice"? Why aren't diamond cut bumper lights considered "rice"? Why isn't a stillen bodykit, erebuni, skyline, widown...etc considered "rice"?

Just because theres tons of little civics, preludes, mustangs, and alike running around with altezzas shouldn't give the actual lense a bad name. I guarantee you that there are more civics running around with red/clear lenses than there are with altezzas. And there's more civics, preludes, mustangs running around with big aftermarket bodykits than there are with altezzas.

You have every right to hate on them, and everytime there is mention of them in a thread, say, "Altezzas are rice" or "ANYTHING BUT ALTEZZAS", but why not say that about all of those previously mentioned mods? If you think they're ugly, or don't look right on the Maxima, that's one thing, but can every mod that you personally don't like be considered "rice"?

Sorry, just rambling and making conversation. All opinions are welcome.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:55 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Why is it rice?

Originally posted by BidspayMax
Hey,

I was curious as to what people on this board use as the determinate factor when classifying a modification as "RICE."

Okay...I understand the GT-R badges, the overly inflated stickers...etc., but why ALTEZZAS?

I happen to think Altezzas look pretty good on certain maximas, but that has nothing to do with the actual classification of "rice". Why isn't the Red/Clear lenses considered "rice"? Why aren't diamond cut bumper lights considered "rice"? Why isn't a stillen bodykit, erebuni, skyline, widown...etc considered "rice"?

Just because theres tons of little civics, preludes, mustangs, and alike running around with altezzas shouldn't give the actual lense a bad name. I guarantee you that there are more civics running around with red/clear lenses than there are with altezzas. And there's more civics, preludes, mustangs running around with big aftermarket bodykits than there are with altezzas.

You have every right to hate on them, and everytime there is mention of them in a thread, say, "Altezzas are rice" or "ANYTHING BUT ALTEZZAS", but why not say that about all of those previously mentioned mods? If you think they're ugly, or don't look right on the Maxima, that's one thing, but can every mod that you personally don't like be considered "rice"?

Sorry, just rambling and making conversation. All opinions are welcome.
RICE- whatever you think looks ugly and "not fitting."

they are "rice" because I THINK look ugly... but then again like every single person who will respond to this thread... it's just a personal opinion.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:07 PM

Re: Re: Why is it rice?

Originally posted by nadir_s

RICE- whatever you think looks ugly and "not fitting."

they are "rice" because I THINK look ugly... but then again like every single person who will respond to this thread... it's just a personal opinion.
Fair enough, so per your definition, it is more of a slang term associated with your personal opinion, rather than a general categorization. You would think it was the other way around after reading some of the threads on these boards, lol.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:09 PM
+COLLANA+

Is flame thrower a rice part?

Yes, and people rationalize their environment-unfriendly-toxic-gas-producing y pipe b pipe, gutting cats as being legitimate mods while considering such awesome display of firepoer as flame thrower exhaust as rice...

altezzas are not rice...do you call IS300 a rice? actually yes but that car defies the whole definition of rice by being the first "hybrid" car--half rice, half bread

Old 11-04-2002, 09:09 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Re: Re: Why is it rice?

Fair enough, so per your definition, it is more of a slang term associated with your personal opinion, rather than a general categorization. You would think it was the other way around after reading some of the threads on these boards, lol.
lol true, alot of people on this board like to dicate their opinions over others.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:12 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Is flame thrower a rice part?

Originally posted by +COLLANA+
Yes, and people rationalize their environment unfriendly toxic gas producing y pipe b pipe, gutting cats as legitimate mods while considering such awesome display of firepoer as flame thrower exhaust as rice...

altezzas are not rice...do you call IS300 a rice? actually yes but that car defies the whole definition of rice by being the first "hybrid" car--half rice, half bread

i do not get one word u said.... rationalize the environment?
Old 11-04-2002, 09:15 PM
+COLLANA+

oh sorry

in my usual haste of becoming a great post *****, I missed some dashes

Old 11-04-2002, 09:17 PM

LMAO!!!
Old 11-04-2002, 09:18 PM
+COLLANA+

and if you haven't already

Ctrl + A my sig.

anyone want to be 2nd member?

Old 11-04-2002, 09:22 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

lol
Old 11-04-2002, 09:40 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Yes, and people rationalize their environment-unfriendly-toxic-gas-producing y pipe b pipe, gutting cats as being legitimate mods while considering such awesome display of firepoer as flame thrower exhaust as rice...

What??????
Old 11-04-2002, 09:57 PM

The 'original' definition of rice (and the one I stick by) is the use of stickers, wings, fart tips, etc. to give your car the image that it's faster than it really is. I don't see how Altezzas add to this image.

Hence, they're not rice. Just fugly
Old 11-04-2002, 09:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Is flame thrower a rice part?

Originally posted by I30tMikeD

What??????
Probably more like fried rice!
Old 11-04-2002, 10:06 PM

I eat rice everyday anyone here eat rice almost everyday?
Old 11-04-2002, 10:10 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by ymNA
I do.... i'm indian and i gotta eat my rice almost everyday. Until i learn how to cook or move out, i'm stuck w/ rice almost everyday
Old 11-04-2002, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by ymNA
Nah, but I eat a lot of ramen noodles.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:44 PM
CaLSoNiC

BTW: Lexus IS300 = Toyota ALTEZZA!!! HOW ABOUT THAT! w000....
The IS300 is just the Americanized Altezza they have in Japan...
Like Silvia - 240SX ect... Bleg... Why cant we get the cool cars damnit!!!

****ING SKYLINE!!! COME TO MY BEAUTIFUL DRIVEWAY!

and just for the Refrence off the top of my head.
Lexus = Toyota
Infiniti = Nissan
Acura = Honda
Plymouth/Dodge/ect = Mitsubishi

Errr... not so sure about the mitsu one... but the damn 3000GT and the Stealth seem like theyre the same damn car.

Old 11-04-2002, 10:48 PM
Don't trust me, I'm sneaky

Uh, stock?

Some civics come with red/clears stock. That makes them more likely to run w/ red clears. I hardly think this makes them rice. Only toyotas/lexuses come with chrome/red tails ("altezzas" [is 300], like it's the only one RX300, anyway) come with chrome/reds, and making a nissan like a toyota/lexus is sacralige (IMHO), and that is why altezzas on a max is rice.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:40 PM

Re: Uh, stock?

Originally posted by SlavDaddy
Some civics come with red/clears stock. That makes them more likely to run w/ red clears. I hardly think this makes them rice. Only toyotas/lexuses come with chrome/red tails ("altezzas" [is 300], like it's the only one RX300, anyway) come with chrome/reds, and making a nissan like a toyota/lexus is sacralige (IMHO), and that is why altezzas on a max is rice.
actually newer Max's came/come with altezza's.........I think it is just a popular style of lighting to have on a car that was popularized by ummm, Hondas.....and my memories of really crappy altezzas from back in the day just left leaves me thinking altezzas=rice.......nowadays I think that they look better, and everyone can mod their ride tot he way they want it.........the .ORG would suck donkey nuts if we all modded our rides to look the same.........so I think altezzas=rice, but it's your car so why worry about the opinions of other?
Old 11-05-2002, 12:06 AM

Well of 5th gens it isn't.....
Old 11-05-2002, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by La Jolla Max
The 'original' definition of rice (and the one I stick by) is the use of stickers, wings, fart tips, etc. to give your car the image that it's faster than it really is. I don't see how Altezzas add to this image.

Hence, they're not rice. Just fugly

This is my definition of rice: any mod that is purely for looks and has no functional purpose, e.g. decals (especially the huge Chinese character decals I saw on an otherwise beautiful 300ZX the other day), a huge wing on a front wheel drive car, bling-bling rims (most rims have a very functional purpose, but some of these huge chrome-plated monstrosities hurt performance), large led-lighted exhaust tips, and yes, Altezza style taillights and brightly painted brake calipers.

I realize that is a pretty strict definition, and yes, I am just a little guilty with my clear corners, and I am eventually going to paint my brake calipers, but I'm painting them flat black.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:11 AM

I think of rice as anything that causes me to laugh at your car. And by laugh I mean I'm laughing at what a total waste of your hard earned money that useless mod was. That, and it looks STUPID!!!!!

Examples:

-those windshield washer light things
-badges that do not even signify a vehicle made by the same manufacturer as your car (i.e. VTEC sticker on a Nissan )
-any exhaust tip over 3"
-Altezzas
-and especially the wings/fins. Way to disgrace a nice car
Old 11-05-2002, 06:20 AM
aka UNCDooD

Originally posted by Bernie Lomax
-badges that do not even signify a vehicle made by the same manufacturer as your car (i.e. VTEC sticker on a Nissan )
that reminds me i saw a Mustang with GT-R badges on it. i was like, 'holy cow! look at that Nissan Mustang! or is that a Ford skyline!' what was funny about that was the dude that owned the 'Stang was standing right there.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:50 AM

Rice is a very loose term. I do agree that a Formula 1 wing on any 4 cylinder engine and stickers and what not are pure rice. Altezzas are a seperate subject all together. IMO the altezzas are a toyota design and should be left on toyotas only. The "altezzas" that are used on the 5th gens and on the Altimas aren't really altezzas. They are Nissans design of a similar product. Plus, if you think about it, Nissan simply cleared the red plastic around the tailights they had already designed.

I personally have never considered red/clear or clear corners rice. Mods like that make a car look clean, even civics. It's just when they add the thousand other lights (i.e. nozzle lights) that make it rice.

Just my $.02
Old 11-05-2002, 06:59 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Re: Is flame thrower a rice part?

Originally posted by CaLSoNiC

Plymouth/Dodge/ect = Mitsubishi

Errr... not so sure about the mitsu one... but the damn 3000GT and the Stealth seem like theyre the same damn car.
Stealth and 3000GT were essentually the same Car. Also, the Avenger was made by Mistu (at least parts of it), as are the new Stratus Coupes...very similar to Mitsu Eclipse.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:07 AM

seeing a beat up 89 honda accord with brand new multi lighted chrome Altezzas is just plain ghetto..
i stopped by my nearest nissan dealer the other day to check out the brand new '03 Maxipad, which looks awesome, to my surprise it has Altezza tail-lamps. see thru trim around the round greyish not chrome housing. i think it looks better than the 2000 black trim, 2001 color coded trim, or the 2002 silver trim around the housing.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:40 AM
Don't trust me, I'm sneaky

clarity

actually newer Max's came/come with altezza's.........
Woops, I meant 4th gens w/ altezzas. But yeah, if you like it, do it. I don't want altezzas, so don't have them. The same should work in reverse.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:37 AM
ThisMax2NV

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BidspayMax
[B]Hey,

Ok I have a GTR badge and its not a sticker made of vinyl, as for ALTEZZAS they are just straight up GAY!!!!! in my opinion. Remember I said in my opinion. Unless you can actually make them look good or if the manufactuer (sorry on spelling) can make a decent pair that looks good.

Old 11-05-2002, 11:28 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Stephen Max

This is my definition of rice: any mod that is purely for looks and has no functional purpose, e.g. decals (especially the huge Chinese character decals I saw on an otherwise beautiful 300ZX the other day), a huge wing on a front wheel drive car, bling-bling rims (most rims have a very functional purpose, but some of these huge chrome-plated monstrosities hurt performance), large led-lighted exhaust tips, and yes, Altezza style taillights and brightly painted brake calipers.

I realize that is a pretty strict definition, and yes, I am just a little guilty with my clear corners, and I am eventually going to paint my brake calipers, but I'm painting them flat black.
painting calipers!! rice!!

im painting mine red soon
Old 11-05-2002, 12:21 PM

So then basically all of your definitions of a rice maxima would be the maxima from "The Fast and the Furious"
Old 11-05-2002, 12:58 PM
Redlinemax Owner

This is Rice!!!! Any questions???

Old 11-05-2002, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Redmax
I didn't think cars that ugly existed..... poor Maxima
Old 11-05-2002, 02:01 PM
JsL

Why are they called Altezza lights?...CUZ THEY BELONG ON THE DAM ALTEZZA. They look good on the Altezza/IS300, but on nothing else!! S15 headlights should only belong on the silva...not on integras or civics. If you spend money to make your accord look like a skyline and mold the skyline rear on your car...YOU ARE RICE. (Pick up a issue of Import Tuner and you will understand)

If your first mod is an universal exhaust, you are rice. If you ask for a 1" to 6" exhaust coupler, you are rice. If your accord is I4 and you put dual exhaust on it, you are rice. When someone has the idea that Boeing made your spoiler, you are rice.

If you do a LS VTEC swap on your civic, you are not rice. If you upgrade your pulley on your supercharger, you are not rice. If you buy a set of 14" lightweight rims because you understand rotational mass and moment of inertia, you are not rice.

Sorry I rambled on...This should clear everything up.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:21 PM

now, that's ghetto in my iZ
Old 11-05-2002, 02:39 PM

[/B][/QUOTE]

Who made the rims??? Those are sweet!!!!
Just joking!! What posesses people to put that ugly of crap on their car????
Old 11-05-2002, 02:43 PM

welcome.
Ok every body kit for the 4th Gen looks terrible with the exception of the Stillen
Old 11-05-2002, 02:52 PM

RICE=Anything that cost more than $50 and doesn't make your car handle better or go faster. Period.

Of course that only applies if you are interested in Performance. Otherwise anything goes.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:52 PM
aka UNCDooD

i feel bad for that poor Maxima.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by JsL
Why are they called Altezza lights?...CUZ THEY BELONG ON THE DAM ALTEZZA. They look good on the Altezza/IS300, but on nothing else!! S15 headlights should only belong on the silva...not on integras or civics. If you spend money to make your accord look like a skyline and mold the skyline rear on your car...YOU ARE RICE. (Pick up a issue of Import Tuner and you will understand)

If your first mod is an universal exhaust, you are rice. If you ask for a 1" to 6" exhaust coupler, you are rice. If your accord is I4 and you put dual exhaust on it, you are rice. When someone has the idea that Boeing made your spoiler, you are rice.

If you do a LS VTEC swap on your civic, you are not rice. If you upgrade your pulley on your supercharger, you are not rice. If you buy a set of 14" lightweight rims because you understand rotational mass and moment of inertia, you are not rice.

Sorry I rambled on...This should clear everything up.
Ha, there's a girl at my school with a 97 (I want to say) Honda Accord-AUTO! Yeah its a 4 banger, with body kit, Dual exhaust, altezzas, wing, nozzle lights, etc. Her only real mod: CAI. She claims to beat V6 mustangs cuz she's such a great driver. Must be that 4 banger dual exhuast...
Old 11-05-2002, 06:08 PM
JsL

Imagine hearing this..."My DX civic pulled on a WS6 Trans Am when VTEC kicked in" Don't get me wrong, I like some Hondas, I just beg to differ with how some ricers "fix-up" their cars. I think the S2k is cool pushing 240hp with only 2 liters, but torque is definitely not there though. Click on the link in my previous post

Quick Reply: Why is it rice?