4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rear Brakes squeaking (suggestions?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 05:23 AM

Rear Brakes squeaking (suggestions?)

I just replaced my original rear brake pads in a '97 Maxima SE with the Raybestos Quiet Stop pads. The pads fit perfectly and the Disc Brake Caliper loaner tool from AutoZone made the job very quick and easy.

The brakes work great when the car is rolling forward, but when I put it in reverse and back up, the brakes squeak. Has anyone else had a problem with this?

I re-used the old Nissan shims from the original brake pads. The Raybestos QS shims were totally worthless. I also used the grey compound on both sides of the shims and I also put a very thin spread of the grey anti-squeak compound on the flat metal spring runners on the top and bottom side of the caliper.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:23 AM

Check your calipers, they might not be working correctly.

I had a "hum"ing noise when I first got my max. I took it to a shop, and they said that the rear caliper froze. I had to get a new replacement. Since then, no prob bob!
Old 11-05-2002, 06:31 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

How long have they been in there now? Might just wait about 300 miles and see if it stops.

What condition were the old Nissan shims in?

Did you remove and regrease the caliper pins?
The caliper pins need high temp grease on them. Those are the pins that the cailper bolts onto. You just remove the boot and slide the pin out. Clean it off, apply a light coating of high temp grease and put the pin back in and put the boot back in place. If those pins don't move in and out freely, the caliper will not function correctly. I think most guys on here that do their own brakes over look that process. IMHO I think it's a must at every brake job!
Old 11-05-2002, 06:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Rear Brakes squeaking (suggestions?)

Originally posted by sislen
I just replaced my original rear brake pads in a '97 Maxima SE with the Raybestos Quiet Stop pads. The pads fit perfectly and the Disc Brake Caliper loaner tool from AutoZone made the job very quick and easy.

The brakes work great when the car is rolling forward, but when I put it in reverse and back up, the brakes squeak. Has anyone else had a problem with this?

Thanks.
I installed Raybestos QS pads a few months ago and they are very quiet and low dusting. The shims that came with the pads are self adhesive, all you do is to remove the paper coving the adhesive and apply to back of pad. I was not sure what grey stuff was so I used CRC Anti Squeal Compound only on back of shim. I then used Synthetic High Temp grease on caliper pins (2 per each caliper) and pad retaining clips. I just opened 1 of the grey stuff packets, I am pretty sure it is high temp grease and not anti squeal compound. If it were my car I would pull the pads out and clean the back of the pads and the back of the shim with Brake Cleaner. Install the self adhesive shims to the back of the pads, if you still have them. If not then apply CRC Anti Squeal to the back of the pad then put old shims on back of pad. Now put anti Squeal on back of shim and reinstall pads. I would also check rotors very carefully for grease that might have come off pads or shims. Clean rotor with brake cleaner if necessary. This should help brake squeal problem. Inially I had a little noise every once in a while in reverse but it stopped once the pads were broke in (about 900 miles). Hope this helps!
Old 11-05-2002, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
How long have they been in there now? Might just wait about 300 miles and see if it stops.

What condition were the old Nissan shims in?

The caliper pins need high temp grease on them. Those are the pins that the cailper bolts onto. You just remove the boot and slide the pin out. Clean it off, apply a light coating of high temp grease and put the pin back in and put the boot back in place. If those pins don't move in and out freely, the caliper will not function correctly. I think most guys on here that do their own brakes over look that process. IMHO I think it's a must at every brake job!
I agree, when I replaced my pads I had to replace all the front caliper pins, they were quite worn. The rear caliper pins were okay but I would definitely check them.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:39 AM

The caliper pins need high temp grease on them
That's what the dealer said when I got my stuff fixed. There wasn't any grease on the pins. Hense the sticking rear calipers.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:41 AM

Where did you guys buy the Raybestos.
It's time for rear break job and I think that OE are not worth the money (For the rear).
Old 11-05-2002, 06:58 AM

I'm confused. Let's say the problem is with sticky caliper pins, would that result in noise being heard with the Max moving in reverse ONLY but not while going forward?

Gee, we have a reverse-warning system just like trucks have! j/k
Old 11-05-2002, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by Rogo98SE
Where did you guys buy the Raybestos.
It's time for rear break job and I think that OE are not worth the money (For the rear).
PEP BOYS, they cost about $46 plus tax. I don't think you'll save much with them VS OEM Pads. I went with them for low dusting and because they are quiet. They are ceramic pads! I am very pleased so far, about 1500 miles.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:07 AM

Are ceramic pads bad for the rotors??
Do they create more heat during breaking??
Old 11-05-2002, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by StygianMax
I'm confused. Let's say the problem is with sticky caliper pins, would that result in noise being heard with the Max moving in reverse ONLY but not while going forward?

Gee, we have a reverse-warning system just like trucks have! j/k
I really think there is a sensitivity to reverse in the rear brakes when using these ceramic pads. I don't know if it is because the ceramic pad is harder or some other properties. I know it took about 900 miles for mine to wear in and become quiet in reverse. It makes me think the ceramic compound is harder - low dusting. I also installed new cross dimpled, slotted and plated rotors at the same time which confuses the issue even more.