4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sprint VS. Eibach

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 11:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sprint VS. Eibach

I am getting some lowering springs and I am curious what springs are recommended for the Maxima. I have heard that the warrenty on the Eibach is poor and that the Sprints are really stiff. What are some suggestions from my fellow Org. members?

-King Ryan-
Old 11-06-2002, 11:47 AM

I just bought Sprint springs and saving up for KYB. The reason i chose sprint because it has the lowest drop for the maxima. The lower the drop the better the handling. I cant wait for that setup.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:07 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

I have eibach and i love em. I do wish the drop was lower... but then i would have to trade that for the quality of the ride. The springs do lower u just over an inch and give u a stiffer ride. I like em, they don't bounce alot and aren't really stiff either. If u want that lowered look... go w/ sprints.

Also, if you're planning to get a bodykit anytime, the springs may cause u a problem w/ scraping and whatnot. Just keep that in mind too. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:19 PM

It all depends on where you live also. Sprint does have the lowest drop, but it you plan to get a kit later, good luck with the bumbs in the road. Eibach are a ok drop. And if you plan to get the KYB AGX struts good luck with your warranty. because they don't warranty it if you use springs that drop past 1.7. And sprints are 2.0
Old 11-06-2002, 12:39 PM

I had Sprints. Now I'm back to stock. I'm switching to Eibachs next Spring. The Sprints, but are too low. There is virtually no suspension travel left with Sprints. I love the ride of the stock springs, but I miss the handling that I had with the Sprints, so I figured I'd give the Eibachs a shot.

Later,
-Nick
Old 11-06-2002, 12:47 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Nick is right, Sprint Springs don't leave you with much suspension travel. Not good for an everyday driver. I've done enough installs to see this for myself. Our cars don't do well with 2 inch drops.

Eibach is an excellent spring!

You should consider H&R's as well.

1) They drop slightly more then Eibach's, however they will not void the warranty on your Struts.

2) German Engineering

3) The smoothest ride

4) Awsome handling

5) Pretty blue color

Seriously, I think Eibach and H&R are the top springs for our cars.

Woops, almost forgot - B&G's are pretty good as well. The drop is slightly more then H&R and there pretty stiff, more of a performance spring. They will void the warranty on your struts thou....

KYB Warranty is up to 1.5 inch drop.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:54 PM
Administrator

who is Eibach? and why does he have beef with me?
Old 11-06-2002, 01:00 PM

What about...

Sprint is not the lowest drop available for the Maxima. I think OBX makes 'em for us and drop the car 3 inches. I just looked at them on another website and I hear they are more stiff than coil-overs can offer. Anyways, I think I may go with the Eibachs. I am not too keen on losing a warrenty on new struts yet. Thanks for the advice and suggestions!

-King Ryan-
Old 11-06-2002, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
who is Eibach? and why does he have beef with me?
Old 11-06-2002, 01:10 PM

Re: What about...

Originally posted by Linkage23
Sprint is not the lowest drop available for the Maxima. I think OBX makes 'em for us and drop the car 3 inches. I just looked at them on another website and I hear they are more stiff than coil-overs can offer. Anyways, I think I may go with the Eibachs. I am not too keen on losing a warrenty on new struts yet. Thanks for the advice and suggestions!

-King Ryan-
link to those OBX springs?
Old 11-06-2002, 01:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Woops, almost forgot - B&G's are pretty good as well. The drop is slightly more then H&R and there pretty stiff, more of a performance spring. They will void the warranty on your struts thou....

so, would you say B+G's are harsher than H&R's? For example, if I switched to H&R's from B+G's, would I notice a somewhat smoother ride? Because my AGX/B+G combo can get pretty harsh over bad roads.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:19 PM
4 Maximas and counting

Eibach/H&R, Tokico/KYB

I currently have Eibach+Tokico, and the ride's on the harsh side with me on these Philly streets. From what I'm reading here, H&R would have kep the ride a bit softer/smoother. Worth the switch? Will KYB AGXs make enough difference to switch as well?

Nick is right, Sprint Springs don't leave you with much suspension travel. Not good for an everyday driver. I've done enough installs to see this for myself. Our cars don't do well with 2 inch drops.

Eibach is an excellent spring!

You should consider H&R's as well.

1) They drop slightly more then Eibach's, however they will not void the warranty on your Struts.

2) German Engineering

3) The smoothest ride

4) Awsome handling

5) Pretty blue color

Seriously, I think Eibach and H&R are the top springs for our cars.

KYB Warranty is up to 1.5 inch drop.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by spiff56747

so, would you say B+G's are harsher than H&R's? For example, if I switched to H&R's from B+G's, would I notice a somewhat smoother ride? Because my AGX/B+G combo can get pretty harsh over bad roads.
YES - I actually made that same switch myself! I went from B&G/AGX to H&R/AGX Much better ride.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:23 PM

YES - I actually made that same switch myself! I went from B&G/AGX to H&R/AGX Much better ride.

Nice! I'll seriously consider this swap then.. BTW, do you notice that you car sits higher with the H&Rs? It should only be a .2 or .3 inch difference, but is it really noticeable? Thanks
Old 11-06-2002, 01:24 PM

Re: Eibach/H&R, Tokico/KYB

Originally posted by philpoe
I currently have Eibach+Tokico, and the ride's on the harsh side with me on these Philly streets. From what I'm reading here, H&R would have kep the ride a bit softer/smoother. Worth the switch? Will KYB AGXs make enough difference to switch as well?

AGX's are better quality than Tokico's, but they are harsher, even on the softest setting
Old 11-06-2002, 02:01 PM

Nice! I'll seriously consider this swap then.. BTW, do you notice that you car sits higher with the H&Rs? It should only be a .2 or .3 inch difference, but is it really noticeable? Thanks
Yes, most noticable in the rear. On B&G's my car looked a bit on the slammed side. With the H&R's it just looks great!

Here's a current pic of my car on H&R/AGX.

Old 11-06-2002, 03:17 PM
Sports Button FTW

how would they know????

i mean if u call and say the shocks are blown and tell them u have eibach's when u have sprints, how will they know???
Old 11-06-2002, 03:49 PM

What about maxspeeds, i take it tehy are really bad? Also if I get springs do I need struts too?
Old 11-06-2002, 04:08 PM

nice drop!!!

thats the kind of drop i'm looking for...i was considering progress springs for a bit, but i gotta stick to quality too!! i'm all for h&r's!! peace!

Yes, most noticable in the rear. On B&G's my car looked a bit on the slammed side. With the H&R's it just looks great!

Here's a current pic of my car on H&R/AGX.

Old 11-06-2002, 05:17 PM

yes, exaxctly how do they know if you had eibachs or sprints on? something im missing here?
Old 11-06-2002, 05:28 PM

Check out my homepage for pics of stock wheels and Sprints. With the stock wheels setup, the Sprint's are pretty good. Ride is good and handling is as good. I do have the Koni struts though. With larger wheels however, it's not as good because I think the larger wheels take up more space thus lessen the suspension travel even more.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by 99maximagxe
The lower the drop the better the handling.
This is absolutely incorrect. Although a lowered car has a lower center of gravity which does improve handling this, in itself, does not guarantee BETTER handling. There are many other variables such as amount of suspension travel, stiffness of the spring, type of shock you are pairing with the spring and the amt of compression and rebound dampening.

For a street driven car that must encounter varying road conditions (smooth roads to bumpy roads, potholes and railroad track crossings) the best handling would be achieved by increasing the stiffness of the springs w/ modest lowering paired with a set of shocks/.struts that are valved with enough compression and rebound dampening to control the stiffer spring. Due to the limited amt of suspension travel in Maximas, signficant lowering (1.5" or more) will result in worse handling and loss of traction if the suspension is bottoms out.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:40 PM

Ok so can someone tell me what to do? I want to look lower ie not 4x4ing, but not slammed....I live in NC and have fairly rough roads, that and im fairly poor....come on people lend me your ear!!
Old 11-06-2002, 05:51 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by ladeesman
Ok so can someone tell me what to do? I want to look lower ie not 4x4ing, but not slammed....I live in NC and have fairly rough roads, that and im fairly poor....come on people lend me your ear!!

That's my drop w/ the eibach prokit... with STOCK struts. Perhaps you can just get the springs and leave the struts the same... granted it's not recommended but honestly, i commute on the highway.... i have over 60k miles on that springs and all my struts are working fine. As long as you don't go offroading, i think you'll be fine because the drop w/ eibachs is a little over an inch and the ride is stiff and NOT bouncy.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:57 PM

So whats the cheaoest you think I can get some?
Old 11-06-2002, 06:01 PM

B+G Springs or Intrax.
-Cyrus
Old 11-06-2002, 06:02 PM

If you go with too big of a drop you will have to get new stuts/shocks because the drop will be too much on the stock struts/shocks. Your's have quite a few miles on them, it might be a good idea to go ahead and shell out the cash and do the whole suspension.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:04 PM

But Les I'm poor...not to mention you people need to decide.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:10 PM

But Les I'm poor...not to mention you people need to decide.
well they are going to go sometime anyways, didn't you say your ride was feeling kind of rough now (I know some of it is the axle), imagine how rough the ride will feel if you have stock struts and shocks with aftermarket springs.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:12 PM

Bah, I don't want to drop it that much so it shouldnt get that rough....but Your talking 800 or so for all that.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:18 PM

Bah, I don't want to drop it that much so it shouldnt get that rough....but Your talking 800 or so for all that.
I'm looking at some prices now, you should be able to do it a lot cheaper than that.

Tokico struts/shocks ~$310
Eibach springs ~$220
Sprint springs ~175

KYB's and Koni's are cheaper than Tok's, but I don't have the prices in front of me.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:20 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

omfg just buy the Eibach prokit springs.... $250. I don't know about the labor costs or how u want to install em... but if you're poor maybe u should just hang on to the idea of lowering your car until u've saved up. Trust me, i know how it is to be poor... whenever i want to mod, i save money up little by little, but u get there eventually.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:43 PM

Re: Eibach/H&R, Tokico/KYB

Originally posted by philpoe

Any ride is harsh on philly roads. i have kyb and eibachs and it is harsh at times down there
Old 11-06-2002, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by meccanoble
how would they know????

i mean if u call and say the shocks are blown and tell them u have eibach's when u have sprints, how will they know???

They know because when they are blown out they cut them open and see where the shock has been oscillating at. They dont know what springs you use but they know how much of a drop by the wear in the strut.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:50 PM

I'm just hearing so many differnt things....I have the money for the eibach...just no the struts too..
Old 11-06-2002, 09:51 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

I'm just hearing so many differnt things....I have the money for the eibach...just no the struts too..
that's fine, order the springs and put em on and ride em on ure stock struts... just don't go buck wild on em

i have 140k miles... 60k+ on springs and i've done some crazy **** before... if u don't believe me, check out this video lol

http://www.socalaudiclub.com/videos/...meetdrive.mpeg
[warning: 55mb]
Old 11-06-2002, 11:14 PM

If you want to be really cheap, just get the Maxspeed springs for $80-$100 and pair them with KYB GR2s which should cost about $200 for all 4. Thus for $300, you will have slightly lower car than with Eibachs and more comfortable ride quality.

Since you have fairly rough roads, I think this $300 set up would be ideal - decent amt of lowering (w/o slamming the car), relatively compliant spring rate and decent quality shocks that are somewhat stiffer than stock to deal with the increased spring rate.

Best of all, $300 includes BOTH new springs AND shocks/struts.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by GlenH

If you want to be really cheap, just get the Maxspeed springs for $80-$100 and pair them with KYB GR2s which should cost about $200 for all 4. Thus for $300, you will have slightly lower car than with Eibachs and more comfortable ride quality.

Since you have fairly rough roads, I think this $300 set up would be ideal - decent amt of lowering (w/o slamming the car), relatively compliant spring rate and decent quality shocks that are somewhat stiffer than stock to deal with the increased spring rate.

Best of all, $300 includes BOTH new springs AND shocks/struts.
http://www.jagworks.com/ has the KYB GR2's for $241.36 with free shipping. Where did you find them for only $200?
Old 11-07-2002, 01:35 AM

i don't really see the point of buying eibach's over H&R's when they both have approximately the same drop, but the eibach's are harsher. unless you want better handling of course.

also, arent KYB GR2's just stock replacements.. so there wouldnt be much point in installing them with lowering springs, unless your stock shocks/struts were completely blown..
Old 11-07-2002, 01:41 AM

i don't really see the point of buying eibach's over H&R's when they both have approximately the same drop, but the eibach's are harsher. unless you want better handling of course.

also, arent KYB GR2's just stock replacements.. so there wouldnt be much point in installing them with lowering springs, unless your stock shocks/struts were completely blown..
I think you answered your own question. Better handling.

Quick Reply: Sprint VS. Eibach