4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

97-99 Front Bumper Question (I have searched)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 11:47 AM

97-99 Front Bumper Question (I have searched)

I have tried to search and came up empty in regards to my quesion.
I have a 96 SE and am currently working on a 97+ bumper conversion. The question that I have is what part of the metal bumper support fram am I supposed to "cut"?? I look at my bumperless max and am just clueless. Since my Sarona bumper was ruined by Goodyear I need to get this taken care of.. I really just need to pass VA state safety inspection. So I guess I am asking for any pics as well because I am just clueless. Please help!!!

Help is appreciated as always.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 11-06-2002, 12:45 PM

Re: 97-99 Front Bumper Question (I have searched)

Originally posted by JustMaxin96
I have tried to search and came up empty in regards to my quesion.
I have a 96 SE and am currently working on a 97+ bumper conversion. The question that I have is what part of the metal bumper support fram am I supposed to "cut"?? I look at my bumperless max and am just clueless. Since my Sarona bumper was ruined by Goodyear I need to get this taken care of.. I really just need to pass VA state safety inspection. So I guess I am asking for any pics as well because I am just clueless. Please help!!!

Help is appreciated as always.

Thanks,

Jason

OK,

let's say you are looking at the car from tne front with the bumper on it. imagine you take the grill off and you can see behind it. the outsides of the grill would be where the two metal brackets are. IF you actualyl try to put the 97+ bumper on you will probably see it rightway cuz it just won't fit.

Kevin
Old 11-06-2002, 12:51 PM

Re: Re: 97-99 Front Bumper Question (I have searched)

Originally posted by Kevin

OK,

let's say you are looking at the car from tne front with the bumper on it. imagine you take the grill off and you can see behind it. the outsides of the grill would be where the two metal brackets are. IF you actualyl try to put the 97+ bumper on you will probably see it rightway cuz it just won't fit.

Kevin
Alright well I dont have a bumper cover on the car. But the 97+ grille is still there from the Sarona bumper. So do i need to take off the grill and cut or rip something out? Thanks for the reply!!

Jason
Old 11-06-2002, 01:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: 97-99 Front Bumper Question (I have searched)

Alright well I dont have a bumper cover on the car. But the 97+ grille is still there from the Sarona bumper. So do i need to take off the grill and cut or rip something out? Thanks for the reply!!

Jason
take the grill off and describe to me what you see on the outer sides of it. don't have toe cut or rip anythign off for the grill, it just snaps off.

Also since you have the bumper off you should just try to put the 97-99 one on o that you can see where it wouldn fit, but first take the grill of
Old 11-06-2002, 01:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 97-99 Front Bumper Question (I have searched)

Originally posted by Kevin

take the grill off and describe to me what you see on the outer sides of it. don't have toe cut or rip anythign off for the grill, it just snaps off.

Also since you have the bumper off you should just try to put the 97-99 one on o that you can see where it wouldn fit, but first take the grill of
are you talking about the actuall grille itself or something behind it? Remember I do have the 97+ grill already installed. I thought I had to cut something off of the bumper support bar?
Thanks
Old 11-06-2002, 05:16 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Or do what I did. I left the metal raised 'cubes' and just cut a 1" x 1" square off the bumper cover, directly above them. It's actually perforated so it makes it real easy.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed
Or do what I did. I left the metal raised 'cubes' and just cut a 1" x 1" square off the bumper, directly above them. It's actually perforated so it makes it real easy.
ditto, thats what did too
Old 11-07-2002, 06:37 AM

Re: :o)

Or do what I did. I left the metal raised 'cubes' and just cut a 1" x 1" square off the bumper cover, directly above them. It's actually perforated so it makes it real easy.
So you cut the actual bumper cover? What are these metal raised cubes I always hear of? You dont happen to have any pics do you?
Thanks a lot,
Jason
Old 11-07-2002, 08:31 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

So you cut the actual bumper cover? What are these metal raised cubes I always hear of? You dont happen to have any pics do you?
Thanks a lot,
Jason
Not here at work, sorry. I might at home, I photo EVERYTHING I do. But you shouldn't need pics. It's easy to describe in words. Actually Kevin did a good job but let me try one more time. The raised 'cubes' are located on top of the actual metal bumper directly under the outer legs of the grill. Just on the inside of the headlights. On the '95/'96s (4th gen a), the cubes are tall, the bumper cover goes over them to accomidate and the grill legs are shorter. On the '97/'99s (4th gen b), the cubes are lower or non-existent, the bumper cover is lower and the grill legs are longer. You can't miss them, once you take your bumper cover off. Good luck and feel free to ask for any help.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

Not here at work, sorry. I might at home, I photo EVERYTHING I do. But you shouldn't need pics. It's easy to describe in words. Actually Kevin did a good job but let me try one more time. The raised 'cubes' are located on top of the actual metal bumper directly under the outer legs of the grill. Just on the inside of the headlights. On the '95/'96s (4th gen a), the cubes are tall, the bumper cover goes over them to accomidate and the grill legs are shorter. On the '97/'99s (4th gen b), the cubes are lower or non-existent, the bumper cover is lower and the grill legs are longer. You can't miss them, once you take your bumper cover off. Good luck and feel free to ask for any help.

Ok thanks a lot for your help!! Maybe when you get home you can email me those pics? Because I have had the bumper cover off for like a month and I always am looking at the steel bumper support and I STILL seem clueless. So do you think it is easier to cut the bumper cover or the bumper support? So I have to remove my 97-99 fromt upper grille to remove these cubes? correct?
Old 11-07-2002, 08:52 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Ok thanks a lot for your help!! Maybe when you get home you can email me those pics? Because I have had the bumper cover off for like a month and I always am looking at the steel bumper support and I STILL seem clueless. So do you think it is easier to cut the bumper cover or the bumper support? So I have to remove my 97-99 fromt upper grille to remove these cubes? correct?

Sorry about the pics but I just moved. I don't see my computer up and running anytime soon. I'm living off my laptop for now but the pics are on my desktop. If you want to do it the other way around, you can send me a pic and I'll point them out to you. It's up to you about cutting the bumper cover vs. bumper. I think your fine either way. Yes you need to remove the grill. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Sorry about the pics but I just moved. I don't see my computer up and running anytime soon. I'm living off my laptop for now but the pics are on my desktop. If you want to do it the other way around, you can send me a pic and I'll point them out to you. It's up to you about cutting the bumper cover vs. bumper. I think your fine either way. Yes you need to remove the grill. Good luck.
Thanks a lot Ptatohed! I will remove my grille and look for these so called cubes. Can they be simply removed or do you need to use something to cut them like a dremmel?

Jason