4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The NEW 4th Gen year to year differences thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 10:39 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: The NEW 4th Gen year to year differences thread.

Originally posted by Anachronism
It seems 'What are the diffences between model years?' comes up fairly often. I figured I woud put together a list for the FAQ. I put together a list below using the information from several threads but mainly this one http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=57596 and the information from this website http://www.geocities.com/jgadlage/maxspecs.html

So, is there anything I missed or got wrong? I will edit this list as people add or correct things.

1995 - 1st year 4th gen, some early production models had OBD1. Rear oxygen sensor in cat. Only year GXE could have S&C package and 5 speed transmission. Only year SE could get S&C package without sunroof.

1996 - revised emissions equipment, new cup holder, power passenger seat available (with leather package).

1997 – Restyled front and rear (front now has crossbar on grill, rear now has turn signals below taillights), improved crash protection, new steering wheel, 16" 5 Star wheels on SE, new center console (two drink cupholder with hinged lid, lose change holder, lose ashtray in back) and armrest (lower), Homelink on GLE and SE with S&C package, SE got red Gauge needles. Two new steering wheel designs, one for GXE/GLE and one exclusive to SE. New design of double din headunit. Tweeters moved from the A-pillar trim to the door. Cornering lamps removed. Rear oxygen sensor moved behind cat to b-pipe, B-pipe made longer.

1998 - Side air bags available (with deluxe seating package), ‘Cold weather package’ replaced by ‘Deluxe seating package’, red gauge needles on all trim levels (95-97 GXE/GLE had white needles), digital odometer, climate control redesign, Fuel and temp. Gauges now ‘Mirror image’ instead of facing the same direction.

1999 - Emissions equipment and ECU wireing similar to 5th gen models, SE limited edition available, security chip in key, head unit redesign, ‘ambient temperature’ feature added to automatic climate control, three point seat belt for rear center position.

On CA emission 99's Front pre-cat built into header, two extra oxygen sensors to monitor pre-cats (total of 4), Swirl valve in intake to improve emissions. Special aftermarket Y-pipe required and only 1 pre-cat can be removed.
Don't forget to mention that the in-console removable cupholder that became available for '96 was removed in '97. '96 was the only year.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:32 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Is that right that the over-shoulder rear center seatbelt wasn't available until '99?

(I 'm asking because I need to know for my back seat fold mod How-To I am writing)

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&goto=newpost
Old 02-13-2003, 01:06 PM

You know, I am
Before I get flamed for not knowing some of this stuff I should tell you that I recently came over from the 3rd gen board so bear with me.

I have a 99SE-L with leather seats and the titanium colored gizmos that came with it. I don't have an automatic air cond. system though, I have a chip key but no remote, I have a button for the power trunk but it doesn't work, I have no sunroof and I have those stupid metal brackets on the strut towers that make putting on a FSTB impossible without cutting it. If you ask me there were too many options available thats why I don't have lots of stuff. I don't see a clear definition from any of the packages on what I have hence the post.
I still love the car anyway and its working for me so no hard feelings
Old 02-13-2003, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by BigJuice
I have no sunroof and I have those stupid metal brackets on the strut towers that make putting on a FSTB impossible without cutting it.
Even though I have a 99 SE-L, I didn't get that braket blocking the FSTB. Wierd.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:31 PM
Licensed to Spell

You know, I am
Before I get flamed for not knowing some of this stuff I should tell you that I recently came over from the 3rd gen board so bear with me.

I have a 99SE-L with leather seats and the titanium colored gizmos that came with it. I don't have an automatic air cond. system though, I have a chip key but no remote, I have a button for the power trunk but it doesn't work, I have no sunroof and I have those stupid metal brackets on the strut towers that make putting on a FSTB impossible without cutting it. If you ask me there were too many options available thats why I don't have lots of stuff. I don't see a clear definition from any of the packages on what I have hence the post.
I still love the car anyway and its working for me so no hard feelings
"hence the post"? I don't even know what your question is?

If you have leather but no electronic climate control nor sunroof, I am going to assume that it is not factory leather. What are "titanium colored gizmos"? If you have no remote, there's a very good reason for that - it's been lost! Every 4th gen, every trim came with keyless entry. About the trunk button, read your owner's manual. There is a switch in the trunk to turn the remote open option on and off.

"If you ask me there were too many options available thats why I don't have lots of stuff." What does this mean??
Old 02-13-2003, 01:49 PM

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

"hence the post"? I don't even know what your question is?

If you have leather but no electronic climate control nor sunroof, I am going to assume that it is not factory leather. What are "titanium colored gizmos"? If you have no remote, there's a very good reason for that - it's been lost! Every 4th gen, every trim came with keyless entry. About the trunk button, read your owner's manual. There is a switch in the trunk to turn the remote open option on and off.

"If you ask me there were too many options available thats why I don't have lots of stuff." What does this mean??
Well, the questions was originally to find out which one of the trims mentioned above I had I had?
The titanium colored gizmos are the Wheels, Badging and Gauges.
I went to the dealer to find out about the remote and the mechanic checked and told me that it didn't come with one.
I don't have an owners manual as I just got the car and it didn't come with one.
I will check for that switch in the trunk though
Old 02-13-2003, 01:51 PM

Sorry for posting twice but the server was slow and I push the button one two many times.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:12 PM
Licensed to Spell

Sorry for posting twice but the server was slow and I push the button one two many times.

That's o.k., it happens to all of us, just delete it.

Yes your car came with a remote. The switch is in the latch on the trunk - in the car (not in the decklid). It is a metal flat tab that pulls/pushes up and down vertically. Here is your owner's manual:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/deptog.asp?dept%5Fid=37

You can read about the vallet trunk switch and your remote.

(hey, I just noticed the 2004 manual is there, how cool is that?)
Old 02-13-2003, 02:14 PM

Thanks
Old 02-16-2003, 10:19 PM

The "MAXIMA" emblem on the rear of a '97 is different than a '96.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:54 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

That's o.k., it happens to all of us, just delete it.

Yes your car came with a remote. The switch is in the latch on the trunk - in the car (not in the decklid). It is a metal flat tab that pulls/pushes up and down vertically. Here is your owner's manual:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/deptog.asp?dept%5Fid=37

You can read about the vallet trunk switch and your remote.

(hey, I just noticed the 2004 manual is there, how cool is that?)
Okay....i now think that nissan doesen't even know what they did to our cars. My trunk release is on the fuel door release handle.

Every 4th gen, every trim came with keyless entry.
not mine. Because i eventried the progamming the remote thing, just to se if at anytime the car had keyless entry and possibly the remote(s) were lost....nope,nada, zip. I seriously don't think we can go by what we've read from nissan. Granted, a good portion of our cars were bought used, and could have had some features removed, although i don't know why, since it would be a selling point, but i seriously doubt that all these people would have had that done.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by fearthegecko

Okay....i now think that nissan doesen't even know what they did to our cars. My trunk release is on the fuel door release handle.

not mine. Because i eventried the progamming the remote thing, just to se if at anytime the car had keyless entry and possibly the remote(s) were lost....nope,nada, zip. I seriously don't think we can go by what we've read from nissan. Granted, a good portion of our cars were bought used, and could have had some features removed, although i don't know why, since it would be a selling point, but i seriously doubt that all these people would have had that done.
The owner's manual shows the two different options for the trunk release. A. On the door and B. Down by the gas opener. So what is it that confuses you?

And yes your car came with keyless entry.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:36 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by Bgohan
The "MAXIMA" emblem on the rear of a '97 is different than a '96.
Right, that's a good one. You should add that Anach. The '95/'96 have the detached Maxima letters: M A X I M A and the '97/'99s have the attached letters: M_A_X_I_M_A.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ok, I think I added everything to the list.

Not every Max came with keyless entry, it was part of the Comfort and convienence package. Maybe some Maximas that did not have the C&C came with the hardware (relay) for keyless entry (mine didn't) but it is listed as part of the C&C package. If you have the relay all you have to do is get and program a remote. http://www.geocities.com/jgadlage/maxspecs.html

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=16924
Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
This reponse is based on information from the '99 Maxima factory service manual. I'm hoping your '96 is wired the same way.

The manual refers to the keyless remote feature as the Multi-Remote Control System. It uses a Multi-Remote Control Relay. Look to see if your car has this relay.

1) Open the trunk. Remove the trunk compartment floor carpet and the fiberboard spare tire cover. These are removed with your hands; no tools are required.

2) Remove the cardboard trunk trim which surrounds the latch mechanism. The five plastic fasteners which secure it are quarter-turn latches and come loose easily when turned with a Phillips head screwdriver.

3) Look at the area of the trunk latch mechanism, made visible by removal of the the trim panel. Locate electrical connector T5. This is a brown plastic connector with 6 terminal positions. If your Maxima does not have the keyless entry feature you will find connector T5 taped up so it does not rattle, but with no relay plugged into it.

4) Reinstall all the trim you removed.

This whole operation should take three minutes.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

are cat-backs interchangable from 96 - 98

I see the b-pipe changed in length from '96 to '97. Did the muffler also change? I am thinking about buying a '98 stock cat back to replace my '96 stock that is leaking. It seems like most aftermarket cat backs are the same between years, so I would think the stock exhausts might be the same. I don't want to get this '98 and find that it will not fit my '96. Does anyone know for sure?

Paul
Old 02-18-2003, 08:26 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: are cat-backs interchangable from 96 - 98

Originally posted by pauldekruyter
I see the b-pipe changed in length from '96 to '97. Did the muffler also change? I am thinking about buying a '98 stock cat back to replace my '96 stock that is leaking. It seems like most aftermarket cat backs are the same between years, so I would think the stock exhausts might be the same. I don't want to get this '98 and find that it will not fit my '96. Does anyone know for sure?

Paul
Paul, I beleive if you bolt it on as is, it would stick out the back of your '96 by ~2". But I am sure you can buy it and have a muffler shop make the necessary cuts/bends/welds etc. to make it fit perfect.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:27 AM

Re: are cat-backs interchangable from 96 - 98

Originally posted by pauldekruyter

Paul
Maybe if you took the S section (behind the cat) off the 97-99 it would work. Still I would hate to get everthing apart and find out it didn't work. Warpspeed and budget both have inexpensive B pipes and you will get a small horse power gain. If you have to pay a shop to do custom work a stock replacement could end up costing more than aftermarket. I am not sure if the mufflers are the same.

Was the B-pipe made longer beause the Cat was made shorter (oxygen sensor was moved from the cat to b pipe)? Or was it made longer because the bumper sticks farther out because of the restyle?
Old 02-18-2003, 09:51 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: are cat-backs interchangable from 96 - 98

Was the B-pipe made longer beause the Cat was made shorter (oxygen sensor was moved from the cat to b pipe)? Or was it made longer because the bumper sticks farther out because of the restyle?

The latter.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:41 AM
aka UNCDooD

anyone know if the B-pipe off of a 99.5 SE-L will fit on a '95 Maxima SE? Will it just be a couple inches too long or does it have different bends??
Old 02-20-2003, 01:21 PM
aka UNCDooD

BTTT

Originally posted by UNCDooD
anyone know if the B-pipe off of a 99.5 SE-L will fit on a '95 Maxima SE? Will it just be a couple inches too long or does it have different bends??
Old 02-20-2003, 08:41 PM
aka UNCDooD

BTTT AGAIN

does anyone know?
Old 02-21-2003, 07:23 PM
Licensed to Spell

Another thing that I thought about the other day Anach., is color options. If I am not mistaken, certain colors were available on only certain years. For instance I think there is only a certain year/year range that had the neptune blue and isn't '99 the only year that had silver? And I know that bright red was not available every year. I can't help you with all the specifics but maybe if people pitch in, you can add the colors to your year-to-year list.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:38 PM

Good point potatohead. They actually had silver Maximas? I've only seen those kindof off silver colors, like Sterling Mist. Here's some other paint info:

Sage Mist Green was only available for 97-99 Maximas.
Crimson Blaze was only the 99 SELs.

DW
Old 02-23-2003, 02:28 PM

true ptatohed my old 96 had the removable cup holder in center flip up console. i miss that in my 99
Old 02-23-2003, 02:53 PM
aka UNCDooD

so no one knows the answer to my question? will the b-pipe off of a 99 SE-L need to be cut a couple of inches or does it have different bends and such?
Old 02-23-2003, 04:43 PM

I would suggest that you post your question in another thread, or make a new thread entirely. Your question doesn't quite fit with this one.

DW

so no one knows the answer to my question? will the b-pipe off of a 99 SE-L need to be cut a couple of inches or does it have different bends and such?
Old 02-23-2003, 05:16 PM

Another thing that I thought about the other day Anach., is color options. If I am not mistaken, certain colors were available on only certain years. For instance I think there is only a certain year/year range that had the neptune blue and isn't '99 the only year that had silver? And I know that bright red was not available every year. I can't help you with all the specifics but maybe if people pitch in, you can add the colors to your year-to-year list.
I think it might be some work compiling a list of available colors. Paintscratch.com has the colors and color codes for every year but they do not always use Nissans color terminology (my car is listed as blue green metallic) and because of the table they use you can not cut and paste the list. Maybe when I have some time I will put together a list from the information on paintscratch.com and ask people to gve Nissans name for the colors. If I do that I will start a new thread.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:31 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Good point potatohead. They actually had silver Maximas? I've only seen those kindof off silver colors, like Sterling Mist. Here's some other paint info:

Sage Mist Green was only available for 97-99 Maximas.
Crimson Blaze was only the 99 SELs.

DW
I think I might be thinking of the Sterling Mist dwap. What is Crimson Blaze?
Old 02-24-2003, 09:35 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by 99maxse5-speed
true ptatohed my old 96 had the removable cup holder in center flip up console. i miss that in my 99
If I am not mistaken 99max, you can buy one and add it. I'm 95% sure it fits in. It would fit in the little slit that Nissan later calls a 'business card holder' in the '97-'99 owner's manuals. They are ~$8 from Courtesy (but of course add another $8 for shipping ).
Old 02-24-2003, 11:03 AM

Crimson Blaze = RED

DW

I think I might be thinking of the Sterling Mist dwap. What is Crimson Blaze?
Old 02-26-2003, 10:58 PM

If I am not mistaken 99max, you can buy one and add it. I'm 95% sure it fits in. It would fit in the little slit that Nissan later calls a 'business card holder' in the '97-'99 owner's manuals. They are ~$8 from Courtesy (but of course add another $8 for shipping ).
More on that slit: I still have never seen a pic of the cupholder that is supposed to go there on a 96 ( I have a 97). Anyone got a pic?? I found a coin holder/organizer that just happens to slip into that slit. Slick!
WTF isn't there a stock coin holder on a 97 Max???
Guess they figured we be spending all out spare change on premium fuel and TSB repairs.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:12 AM

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by Bgohan

I found a coin holder/organizer that just happens to slip into that slit. Slick!
Where? Online or in a store?
Old 02-28-2003, 05:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

Where? Online or in a store?
I found the coin org. at a store. I tried the same one online, but no luck. I could not even find the company that was listed on the package. I'll let eveyone know if I go back to the store and see if the manager has a catalog that he orders from. It was only $3.00
I found it a a store that carries all kinds of car accessories in Oregon ( G.I. Joes). They only had one. I had looked everywhere for a month for any car coin organizer, but nobody carries them anymore. I evem looked at 4 WalMarts. Guess accessory makers figure every car has one built in. Tell that to Nissan!
Old 03-04-2003, 03:23 PM
Licensed to Spell

Anach., don't forget that '97-'99 GLEs got a "GLE" emblym on the top, right corner of the trunk/decklid.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:19 AM

I'm not sure but I think the 98's were the first to have the digital milage guage on the speedometer. I have a cousin with a 97 and she didn't have the digital read out.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:14 PM

Yup. the 98s were the 1st to have the digital odo with 2 trip meters and also the newer automatic climate control system. The 99s have everything that the 98 has plus the chipped key security system and a few other minor goodies.

DW

Originally posted by supercobraz
I'm not sure but I think the 98's were the first to have the digital milage guage on the speedometer. I have a cousin with a 97 and she didn't have the digital read out.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:26 AM

I added the GLE emblem to the list, I meant to ask about that one since I noticed some 95-96 Maxes with leather but no GLE emblem. I already had digital odometer on the list for 98, but I did add the dual trip meter part. I also made a note that any changes carry over onto the newer model year unless otherwise noted.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Yup. the 98s were the 1st to have the digital odo with 2 trip meters and also the newer automatic climate control system. The 99s have everything that the 98 has plus the chipped key security system and a few other minor goodies.

DW

isn't it beautiful
Old 07-21-2003, 06:15 PM

what exactly is the chipped key security system again?!?
Old 07-22-2003, 07:36 AM

99 Offered optional Traction Control ($500 I believe) - 2nd blank to the right of the steering wheel got a button!

Rusty.

Quick Reply: The NEW 4th Gen year to year differences thread.