4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The NEW 4th Gen year to year differences thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 09:25 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I have some other differences. What about power antennas? Cheston had a 97 with out power. The O/D button on my 96 is a push button that stays in, where as newer maxes have a momentary push button. Are there any auto's with the PRND12 between the gauges? I've got the spot for it without the wiring or lights. The 95+96 have glass head lights, not as clear marker lights, a dent thing along the trunk and tails. I dont have a cargo net (option?) 99 have something different with the power steering lines and cooler. To me my spoiler light looks different than a 97-99 i saw at the mall, probly just seeing things. SE-L got the SE-L badges and floor mats, Duh. Also some intakes have an extra resonator, anyone else seen this? What year if any did the child seat ancors come on. I know the holes are there on all but does anyone have the hooks and plastic covers installed from the factory, i dont.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:34 AM
THX
Hallelujah

I'm in the market for a used 4th gen and though I found this part of the FAQ most helpful it still can be confusing to n00bs such as myself. What does OBD1 and S&C stand for?
Old 08-08-2003, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by THX
I'm in the market for a used 4th gen and though I found this part of the FAQ most helpful it still can be confusing to n00bs such as myself. What does OBD1 and S&C stand for?
S&C stands for the security and convience pacakage offered on the GXE and SE (it is standard on the GLE)
Old 08-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Don't trust me, I'm sneaky

I read the thing about color lists, but...

Hey hey, since there is no more info on colors, here is this -- my car is the maroon color (rosewood?) and it is a 98 model. I often park next to a guy that has a 4th gen with a stillen kit, but his car is a lighter maroon. This leads me to believe that in 97 or 98 Nissan darkened the maroonish paint job.

Of course, this lucky bastard has enough money to get the full stillen kit (and like 14 clear coats for shininess ), so I can't tell from the front bumper what year his car is, and I can't say I've had the clairvoyence to check out the tails. Anyway, point is, I've been drinking and somewhere between 95 and 99 the maroon color changed.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:11 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Originally Posted by Anachronism
1995 - 1st year 4th gen, some early production models had OBD1.
I completely disagree w/ that. I really don't understand why everyone says that only some or no 95's are OBD-II. My ECU has a production date of 4/94 and it is OBD-II. My car is clearly OBD-II and has a very early ECU Prod. date. Find me a car that isn't OBD-II and I'll give you much respect and maybe money. I only know of one member w/ an ECU older than mine. Its Prod. date is 3/94 and his is OBD-II. If that doesn't prove it I don't know what does. The only reason the plug is in a different place is because that wasn't standardized until 96. This is the part that throws even the "experts" off.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Anachronism, now that I have a '99 and a '96, I see a few differences not listed. I will list all the things I have observed. Some might be a little too picky for the list so pick out my suggestions at your discretion.

1.) Traction control was available only on '99s
2.) Don't forget that only '95/'96 GLEs has upholstered (or 'fuzzy') pillars (A,B,C) like the I30s did (for the entire year range of '96-'99).
3.) In my '96 owner's manual, it shows you how to close your sunroof manually in case it breaks. My '99 manual does not. My '96 includes a tool for it (a lightening bolt shaped allen wrench). My '99 was missing the bag of tools in the trunk so I can't verify it but I am guessing it did not come with the sunroof tool. Anyone confirm? If so, what year did they stop including the manual sunroof tool?
4.) The homelink on my '96 (from a '97) looks slightly different from my '99. Please correct me if I am wrong but I think the '99 is improved (can do rolling codes and the '97 can't?)
5.) On the cruise control 'on' switch, my '96 does not light up but on the '99 it does. Perhaps my bulb is dead but I have never seen it work. My '96 owner's manual does say it supposed to. Can others confirm? And if so, what year did the light start working?
6.) I have a fully loaded SE ('99) but I have a darn cheap rubber auto shifter!!! My '96 GLE has a nice leather stiched shifter. So when did the Maxima stop getting leather shifters? In '97 when the fuzzy pillars went away?
7.) Perhaps you want to mention the rims change? You mention in '97 the SEs get the 5 spoke. Perhaps you can mention that at that point the GLEs got the older '95/'96 SE swirl wheels. As for GXE hubcaps, I can't comment.
8.) In my '96 I have an in-out OD button on the shifter. My '99 just has a touch button. I guess the reason is so the car will always start with OD on whereas in '96 you could leave OD off all the time. I can't say what year this changed though?
9.) My '96 has an orange light below the F/E gas gauge which comes on when low, the '99 has a seperate warning light with a little gas pump on it.
10.) The Check engine light ('Check' with an engine behind it) in the '96 was replaced by a 'Sevice Engine Soon' light.
11.) The key ring light in the '96 seems to light 270^ (always bothered me that it was not 360^) and the '99 only lights 90^!!!!
12.) I think there was some talk about this but there are some paint color changes from year to year. Some name changes, some additions, deletions, some exclusives. This might be too hard to list all though.

That's it for now! Hope I helped.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:44 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

1998 - Side air bags available (with deluxe seating package), ‘Cold weather package’ replaced by ‘Deluxe seating package’, red gauge needles on all trim levels (95-97 GXE/GLE had white needles), digital odometer (with two trip meters), climate control redesign, Fuel and temp. Gauges now ‘Mirror image’ instead of facing the same direction.
a few things to add for '98

- 1st year w/ Low Fuel light moved from fuel gauge to left strip of warning lights
- Debut of Sterling Mist color
- "Air Bag" warning light moved from left strip of warning lights to bottom part of speedometer
- "x1000 r/min" moved from bottom part of Tach to just under 3-5K rpm range
- Deluxe seating pkg. required nearly every option checked off on SE, and I think on GLE, the ABS option was required
Old 02-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ptatohed
11.) The key ring light in the '96 seems to light 270^ (always bothered me that it was not 360^) and the '99 only lights 90^!!!!
12.) I think there was some talk about this but there are some paint color changes from year to year. Some name changes, some additions, deletions, some exclusives. This might be too hard to list all though.

That's it for now! Hope I helped.
11.)
12.) From what I have seen there where quite a few changes to available paint colors/ names year to year. Enough that it would need it's own list and more than I have time to deal with at the moment.

I added most of your additions to the FAQ post and the first page of this thread but I did not want to make the list to cluttered. I did put a note to check this thread if you want more details.

I have been busy with other things lately and have not had much time to spend on my car or this board, although I do peek in and lurk once and a while and I still get email notification if someone digs up an old thread.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:59 PM

i belive the gles didnt get bagged till 99
Old 02-16-2005, 11:27 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

11.)
12.) From what I have seen there where quite a few changes to available paint colors/ names year to year. Enough that it would need it's own list and more than I have time to deal with at the moment.

I added most of your additions to the FAQ post and the first page of this thread but I did not want to make the list to cluttered. I did put a note to check this thread if you want more details.

I have been busy with other things lately and have not had much time to spend on my car or this board, although I do peek in and lurk once and a while and I still get email notification if someone digs up an old thread.

Anach, I see you are very busy. But do me one favor please, it is driving me nuts - lol. Can you please change the part where you call the gauge needles red to the propper color orange. They are clearly orange and not red. Thanks bud.

Also, if you get around to it, change the word speedometer to tachometer in the sentence ['X1000 RPM' moved from bottom of speedometer to center].
Old 02-16-2005, 12:03 PM
be the change u want2C

I think ive read somewhere that the 99's have special agressive cams or something
Old 02-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dmplus
I didnt see this on the list but i believe in 97 they removed the cornering lamps. Something i cant believe they did as i love them on my 95
I know this is old as F--- but what are they talking about? How were the cornering lamps removed?
Old 02-16-2005, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Blackwind
i belive the gles didnt get bagged till 99
Do you mean badged? I am pretty sure the GLEs got the badge on the trunk in 97, my wives 98 has one.

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Anach, I see you are very busy. But do me one favor please, it is driving me nuts - lol. Can you please change the part where you call the gauge needles red to the propper color orange. They are clearly orange and not red. Thanks bud.

Also, if you get around to it, change the word speedometer to tachometer in the sentence ['X1000 RPM' moved from bottom of speedometer to center].
They look more red to me but I changed it.

That's not the speedometer? No wonder I get so many tickets.

Originally Posted by Ninos_Maxima
I think ive read somewhere that the 99's have special agressive cams or something
The engines where all the same except some changes to emissions equipment.

Originally Posted by Nick7455
I know this is old as F--- but what are they talking about? How were the cornering lamps removed?
On the 95-96 the light next to the headlight (the corner light) would get brighter when the turn signal for that side was activated. The 97-99 still use a two filiment bulb but it no longer functions as a corner lamp (gets brighter with turn signal)
Old 02-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

On the 95-96 the light next to the headlight (the corner light) would get brighter when the turn signal for that side was activated. The 97-99 still use a two filiment bulb but it no longer functions as a corner lamp (gets brighter with turn signal)
Wow...I never knew that the corner bulb did that.....makes sense and I knew it had 2 filiments.....you side the wiring is there? Is it easy to get to and hook up?
Old 03-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Maximaler Experte

bump - this should be a sticky!
Old 03-11-2005, 04:29 PM

99s have bad coilpacks, and cant get ecu upgraded as well. o and emissions
Old 04-09-2005, 04:30 AM

98 SEL no ambient temp feature

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Your right the 98's donot have the Ambient switch, just a square piece where it appeared on the 99's.
My stock 98 SEL has the square plastic piece referred to previously, but it looks like the sensor for outside air temp is in place (a necessary piece for auto climate control?). It is located in front of A/C condensor near the hood latch.
Stikine
Old 04-10-2005, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Fork
bump - this should be a sticky!
I attempted to combine this thread into one post that is in the FAQ. There is also a link to this thread in the FAQ for those who want more detail then my list.

Originally Posted by stikine
My stock 98 SEL has the square plastic piece referred to previously, but it looks like the sensor for outside air temp is in place (a necessary piece for auto climate control?). It is located in front of A/C condensor near the hood latch.
Stikine
When the climate control was redisigned in 98 nissan did add the outside temperate sensor but they did not put a button inside the car for it. All you hae to do is add the button. If you search I am sure you can find info on how to do this.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Licensed to Spell

Oh, don't forget Nissan dropped the power steering cooler in '99. They still run the lines to the front of the car near the radiator but all it has is a very short and rubber "U-Turn" instead of the very long and elaberate aluminum cooler on the '95-'96s. This is why the '99 supercharger kit is ~$50 more - because Stillen feels the cooler was necessary and provides you with a cooler.