4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

5 speed transmission woes

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 10:57 PM

Well, this sucks.
I noticed the slight oil leak a few days after I bought my 5-spd Maxima in June. I haven't seen any oil spots on the driveway for at least a month. I thought that the leak had stopped, but after reading this, I am relatively sure that it is just the cold weather that keeps my tranny fluid thick enough to stop leaking. Unfortunately, I will probably see plenty more leakage when spring comes. I had better save up some money for a tranny rebuild. Quick question: If I just ignore the leak, is my tranny going to eventually fail on me, or can I get away with just adding oil now and then?
Old 12-31-2002, 10:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

As long as you dont hear any noise's coming from the tranny then you fine for now...during the winter make sure the level is ok in the tranny..if it leaks in the springs more...Get It Rebuilt...DONT WAIT...the bearings start to wear down and in 5K miles or less the shavings go throughtout the tranny slowly and f*ck S*it up...its just happened to my buddys white max..he had to do all the syncroes while he was in there too

-matt
Old 02-17-2003, 03:42 PM

My '97 I30t has been leaking from the driver's side input shaft since it had 4600 miles on it. It now has 141,200. The Infiniti dealership in Indy replaced the seal 4 times, and never once mentioned bearings. I'm perfectly capable of replacing the tranny with a used one if it becomes a problem. Surprisingly though, I have just kept the tranny full of fluid and it seems to run just fine. Keep in mind that I use the car for pizza delivery, and although I've always maintained it well I tend do always drive it hard. I commute to work now, and usually cruise at 90-100 if it's late at night. I'm going to have to put it up on my friend's lift and see just how much play there is. I'm extremely ****ed with the Infinit/BMW dealership for not ever letting me know about this problem. My family has 3 new cars from them, and that's how they repay me??

Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know that I too have the leak...
Old 02-17-2003, 07:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I went through the same nightmare 4 months ago in by '95SE. I took the car to the dealer when I found the leak, and they told me it was the drive axle. I refused to pay them for a new axle, and I told them to get me a re-man axle, or fix the one I had. They sent my axle to a re-man shop, and the shop said there was nothing wrong with it. The Nissan guys said, "we don't know why it's leaking." That wasted about two weeks, but I didn't have to pay them anything. Then I went to a tranny shop and they said it was the differential bearings and it was quite common in Maximas. I never heard any whining at all, it just leaked and leaked.

Funny, this little shop knew about the problem and Nissan didn't. If I wanted problems like these, I would have bought a chevy.

I hope you guys get your trannys fixed right. Don't put it off too long, or it will be much more expensive.