4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

does performace always = loud?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 02:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

does performace always = loud?

I drive clients around a lot as part of my job, I want to demonstrate a professional apperance. I new to the modding game so I have no clue, I was planning on getting a CAI, Greddy cat-back, and a y-pipe to start, how loud is my car gonna be after install and does anyone have any suggestions as to brand's that may be quieter then others.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:25 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

if you dont want it now, dont get the greddy. for all of the other mods, they arent loud unless you're WOT. if you want it to be quieter, also try some dynamat xtreme to deaden some more of the road noise. I think that might be my next big project.

good luck
siler
Old 11-22-2002, 02:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

WOT????
Old 11-22-2002, 02:36 PM

wide open throttle.

aka "flooring it"
Old 11-22-2002, 02:36 PM

You're not going to get huge gains with any muffler, so get a good b pipe and then get a muffler with a resonator that has a nice tone that you enjoy and isn't too loud. The resonator helps reduce the noise level and comes in many different lengths.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ahhh WOT, wide open throttle, thems fancy speak for haulin a**.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ahhh, heard of mid-pipes, heard of y-pipes, b-pipe is a new one on me. So exhaust is mostly for sound, with moderate hp gains? am I correct?
Old 11-22-2002, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by Futoket
ahhh, heard of mid-pipes, heard of y-pipes, b-pipe is a new one on me. So exhaust is mostly for sound, with moderate hp gains? am I correct?
The y pipe and b pipe are restrictive, replace those and you get some good gains, an intake to accompany them helps the whole system breathe well.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by pezking4

The y pipe and b pipe are restrictive, replace those and you get some good gains, an intake to accompany them helps the whole system breathe well.
yes
Old 11-22-2002, 08:18 PM

hm i wonder how its going to be when i have to drive clients around..interesting

anyway i recommend you go with an intake and y pipe or something but stay away from a straight thru muffler. thats where majority of noise will come from.

ive been a long ways since i "finished" my exhaust setup: ypipe/muffler. would a bpipe really help that much on top of those two? given the muffler should be the final piece since its not that helpful..

if someone could tell me expected gains with just a ypipe, then ypipe with b as well. (screw the muffler, ill throw +1 on the final product)
Old 11-22-2002, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by sil SE
hm i wonder how its going to be when i have to drive clients around..interesting

anyway i recommend you go with an intake and y pipe or something but stay away from a straight thru muffler. thats where majority of noise will come from.

ive been a long ways since i "finished" my exhaust setup: ypipe/muffler. would a bpipe really help that much on top of those two? given the muffler should be the final piece since its not that helpful..

if someone could tell me expected gains with just a ypipe, then ypipe with b as well. (screw the muffler, ill throw +1 on the final product)
If you add a y pipe to a stock 4th expect anywhere from 10-15hp at the wheels. I'm not sure if you'll actually feel that there is more power when you floor it but it should add some power. That combined with some sort of intake will probably bring it up to 20hp at the wheels-not bad.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:24 PM

Just do the whole exhaust and keep the stock muffler. You're not really losing much(maybe 2 hp) and it's nice and quiet unless you're WOT.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:32 PM

yes. i have the y pipe.
Originally posted by paulspeed95

If you add a y pipe to a stock 4th expect anywhere from 10-15hp at the wheels. I'm not sure if you'll actually feel that there is more power when you floor it but it should add some power. That combined with some sort of intake will probably bring it up to 20hp at the wheels-not bad.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:27 PM

Get a stock 5th Gen muffler. It has a variable capacity. Under 3000 RPMs (I think) it routes the exhaust through only one pipe. However, once the RPMs increase beyond that point, it performs similarly to a straight through muffler. From what I've read, it's a good balance of sound and performance. I also hear it's not that expensive.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:28 AM

if your modding for looks, then get a universal muffler with a silencer and then have a resonator installed. if you dont care about looks that much, just get an aftermarket b-pipe (pipe after catylitic convertor) with the stock muffler (5th gen mufflers are great as well)
Old 11-23-2002, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
if your modding for looks, then get a universal muffler with a silencer and then have a resonator installed. if you dont care about looks that much, just get an aftermarket b-pipe (pipe after catylitic convertor) with the stock muffler (5th gen mufflers are great as well)
those universal mufflers with the silencers are usually the small can type that you mostly see on hondas. smaller muffler is going to be louder than a larger sized one
Old 11-23-2002, 08:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks all,

Do I need to do anything special to get the 5th gen muffler on there? install kit/gaskets?
Old 11-23-2002, 08:25 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Thanks all,

Do I need to do anything special to get the 5th gen muffler on there? install kit/gaskets?
The muffler shop will have to modify the hangers for it to sit correctly under your bumper cutout.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mzmtg

The muffler shop will have to modify the hangers for it to sit correctly under your bumper cutout.
so the 5th gen muffler will bold on the 4th gen,except the hangers need to be modify,correct?
Old 11-24-2002, 04:44 AM

Originally posted by 96_vqmax
so the 5th gen muffler with bold on the 4th gen,except the hangers need to be modify,correct?
The hangars fit perfect, its the pipe on the 5th gen that needs to be modified. Its much longer than the 4th Gen, it goes over the rear axle rather than end on the rear side like the 4th Gen. It needs to be shortened and the flange welded back on. Not a big deal but you will have to get a shop to do it.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by Jime

The hangars fit perfect, its the pipe on the 5th gen that needs to be modified. Its much longer than the 4th Gen, it goes over the rear axle rather than end on the rear side like the 4th Gen. It needs to be shortened and the flange welded back on. Not a big deal but you will have to get a shop to do it.
thanx!
Old 11-25-2002, 10:00 PM

The flange is also different from 4th to 5th gens.

SuDZ
Old 11-25-2002, 10:54 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Re: does performace always = loud?

I drive clients around a lot as part of my job, I want to demonstrate a professional apperance. I new to the modding game so I have no clue, I was planning on getting a CAI, Greddy cat-back, and a y-pipe to start, how loud is my car gonna be after install and does anyone have any suggestions as to brand's that may be quieter then others.
Generally speaking mufflers = loud, either get yourself a nice resonator or just stick with a stock 4th gen or 5th gen muffler.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ
The flange is also different from 4th to 5th gens.

SuDZ
so how's it different?do you need to use the 4th gen one or you can modify the 5th gen to work?thanx!
Old 11-26-2002, 09:33 PM

5th gen mufflers are good for performance with little noise but in my opinion i think that maximas generally sound pretty good with a nice deep straight through muffler.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:52 PM

- If you need to maintain a professional image, don't get anything more than a Y-Pipe. I bought my exhaust components (see signature) specifically to keep the car pretty quiet.
- I installed the Y-Pipe first and didn't hear any difference at all from inside. I could hear a kind of flatulent sound when I stood at the rear of the car and had a friend mash the gas for me. That was it. I could feel the extra power and proved it on with a brief highway roll-on against a stock Max. Extra horsepower is nifty.
- Next was the HKS muffler. It doesn't really give you a tone - just a bit of a rumble... not muscle car, but beefy. This produced a bit of noise outside and a bit of a sound inside. The two components together would be pushing it for an uptight suit.
- Lastly, I installed the mid-pipe/resonator combo. The exhaust has a deep sound and I am happy with it, but I'm not schlepping around clients. This would be way too much for a business setting.
- The nice thing is that at highway speeds, you can't hear the system. Its the right combination of revs, throttle, and speed to quiet things down. I'm very happy with the result. I had a friend drive the car around while I stood at the side of the road... definitely sounds cool.

- My advice is to get the Cattman Y-Pipe and leave it at that. If you want an intake, go for it and just lay off the throttle. You can only hear it from about 2/3 throttle and on. If you get any more stuff, you will be making too much noise for business. You don't want to look like Johnny Rice-Boy, eh?