4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is my knock sensor dying? 535 ohms

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002 | 01:04 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Is my knock sensor dying? 535 ohms

Believe fellas, I've done a bit of searching and the information concerning testing a knock sensor is vague.

FOR THOSE THAT HAVE TESTED THIER KNOCK SENSORS WITH MULTIMETERS, what are your readings? Today I tested my knock sensor with my mutlimeter and got a consistent 535 ohm reading. Does anyone know what factory spec is suppose to be? I've heard 550, but is that the verified spec? My Clintons manual says there should be continuity between the terminals, that's . Unfortunately I've lost my multimeter instructions and don't know how to test for this. I also did a test with the car on at idle, multimeter set to Volts, red lead on positive wire of sensor, and black lead on the ground. The only reading I can get is in the "200M" volt setting. It reads a consistent -4.7. Everything else is 0 on the volt scale. Can someone help me out with this?

Dave
Old 11-23-2002 | 01:38 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

You mean 535 kilo-Ohms.

Testing the sensor seems to give inconclusive results. If you are getting the code from the ECU, them it's definitely dead.
Old 11-23-2002 | 02:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My 98 FSM says that the reading should be between 500-620 k ohms. So it sounds like your KS is OK. If you're having problems, then perhaps it's the harness.

DW
Old 11-25-2002 | 11:49 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Guess what code I pulled today? 0304 - knock sensor That's the only code that was on my ECU too, no CEL either. My car had felt a bit laggy for the past month and now this confirms it. I guess it's time to replace the knock sensor.

Dave
Old 11-26-2002 | 05:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave B
[B]Guess what code I pulled today? 0304 - knock sensor That's the only code that was on my ECU too, no CEL either. My car had felt a bit laggy for the past month and now this confirms it. I guess it's time to replace the knock sensor.

What were your symptoms...lower performance, knock, etc.? Did your check engine light come on? Or did you just check the codes? I'm still trying to figure out why everyone on the forum is changing out the knock sensors. I was having some pinging problems myself, but decided to try a can of gas additive with Techron and perform an "Italian tuneup" before checking the sensor. So far the knocking has been completely eliminated and performance is great.
Old 11-26-2002 | 06:48 AM

"Italian tuneup"

Meaning...........
Old 11-26-2002 | 07:17 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by goldmax
What were your symptoms...lower performance, knock, etc.? Did your check engine light come on? Or did you just check the codes? I'm still trying to figure out why everyone on the forum is changing out the knock sensors. I was having some pinging problems myself, but decided to try a can of gas additive with Techron and perform an "Italian tuneup" before checking the sensor. So far the knocking has been completely eliminated and performance is great.

One more time everybody:

"The knock sensor code alone with not light the CEL"

If you are getting audible pinging, defnitely check the codes. If you get 0304, you definitely need to change the knock sensor.
Old 11-26-2002 | 07:49 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

[QUOTE
What were your symptoms...lower performance, knock, etc.? Did your check engine light come on? Or did you just check the codes? I'm still trying to figure out why everyone on the forum is changing out the knock sensors. I was having some pinging problems myself, but decided to try a can of gas additive with Techron and perform an "Italian tuneup" before checking the sensor. So far the knocking has been completely eliminated and performance is great. [/B][/QUOTE]

My symptoms were:

1) Soft lowend performance. I could tell because when I take off from a stop (5 speed) my car requires more rpm to get going. It's in the 30s right now and usually my car leaps off the line. Right now it feels boggy and very similiar to whatit feels like in 90 degree weather.

2) Tip in acceleration from a roll feels fairly weak. It almost feels like driving a 2k2 Maxima with the drive-by wire throttle. The throttle response feels generally crappy.

3) Gas mileage went down ~10-15%

I didn't have any pinging nor did I get a CEL. I checked all my 02 sensors and they read fine (faulty O2 sensors sometimes can throw the KS code). I guess it's time to spend the money for my first true repair on the car in 4 years of owership.

Dave
Old 11-26-2002 | 08:31 AM

Originally posted by 69CHARGER_RT

Meaning...........
= high-revs...blowing out the carbon the "old fashioned" way!
Old 11-26-2002 | 08:39 AM

My symptoms were:

1) Soft lowend performance. I could tell because when I take off from a stop (5 speed) my car requires more rpm to get going. It's in the 30s right now and usually my car leaps off the line. Right now it feels boggy and very similiar to whatit feels like in 90 degree weather.

2) Tip in acceleration from a roll feels fairly weak. It almost feels like driving a 2k2 Maxima with the drive-by wire throttle. The throttle response feels generally crappy.

I didn't have any pinging nor did I get a CEL. I checked all my 02 sensors and they read fine (faulty O2 sensors sometimes can throw the KS code). I guess it's time to spend the money for my first true repair on the car in 4 years of owership.

Mine was real sluggish also so here's what I did: 1) Replaced the Bosch +4s with NGKs, 2) got rid of the K&N drop in filter...for my type of driving--around town, lots of traffic...a paper filter actually gives me more bottom end..made a huge difference, don't ask me why 3)put in fuel system cleaner and blew out the carbon and got rid of the ping, and 4) changed to Mobil 1 for the first time and can actually FEEL the difference.

ALL of the above made an improvement and the car really runs great now and each really made a difference. You're not running a heavier oil like 10w/30 are you? Also...expect lower mileage when the temperature drops...that's normal for all cars.
Old 11-26-2002 | 09:24 AM
Ramius83

A knock sensor code is also caused by faulty O2 sensors. When was the last time you replaced your front O2 sensors? I threw only a knock sensor code and upon replacement and resetting, the ECU still threw that code. I then heard that the O2 sensors "may" also cause the knock sensor code to ping. So, I forked out the $110.00 for two new sensors, dropped them in, reset the ECU, and tada, no CEL or knock sensor code. I just don't get it lol. Oh well....
Old 11-26-2002 | 10:37 AM

My symptoms were:

Mine was real sluggish also so here's what I did: 1) Replaced the Bosch +4s with NGKs, 2) got rid of the K&N drop in filter...for my type of driving--around town, lots of traffic...a paper filter actually gives me more bottom end..made a huge difference, don't ask me why 3)put in fuel system cleaner and blew out the carbon and got rid of the ping, and 4) changed to Mobil 1 for the first time and can actually FEEL the difference.

ALL of the above made an improvement and the car really runs great now and each really made a difference. You're not running a heavier oil like 10w/30 are you? Also...expect lower mileage when the temperature drops...that's normal for all cars.
Old 11-26-2002 | 11:35 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally posted by Ramius83
A knock sensor code is also caused by faulty O2 sensors. When was the last time you replaced your front O2 sensors? I threw only a knock sensor code and upon replacement and resetting, the ECU still threw that code. I then heard that the O2 sensors "may" also cause the knock sensor code to ping. So, I forked out the $110.00 for two new sensors, dropped them in, reset the ECU, and tada, no CEL or knock sensor code. I just don't get it lol. Oh well....
Yes! That makes sense. Just last night, I got a 0304 myself as well as a bad right bank O2 sensor (forget the number). My car has been giving me starting trouble. Could these things affect starting?
Old 11-26-2002 | 11:41 AM
Ramius83

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

Yes! That makes sense. Just last night, I got a 0304 myself as well as a bad right bank O2 sensor (forget the number). My car has been giving me starting trouble. Could these things affect starting?
I don't think that these problems relate to your starting problem. Upon starting, especially in the cold, your ECU runs in closed loop mode, ignoring the O2 sensors and running a preset air/fuel program to warm up. What exactly are your starting problems? Have you replaced your knock sensor yet as well?
Old 11-26-2002 | 12:10 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

I don't think that these problems relate to your starting problem. Upon starting, especially in the cold, your ECU runs in closed loop mode, ignoring the O2 sensors and running a preset air/fuel program to warm up. What exactly are your starting problems? Have you replaced your knock sensor yet as well?

About 6 months ago, a few months aftre the SC, I got a 0304 (knock sensor) and a EVAP canister. Reset - coma back on, reset - come back on, rest - come back on, reset - stay off. about 4 months after that (2 months ago) I start having a real tough time starting. Just as if my fule pump kill switch is flicked - but it isn't. Last night I got 3 codes! Knock sensor (again), O2 sesnor (rt bank) and fuel injection (rt bank). I am so bummed. Any ideas? I guess start with the knock sensor, right? Do I need a genuine Nissan or can I get one at AutoZone? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-26-2002 | 12:26 PM
Ramius83

Re: Re: Re: :o)

About 6 months ago, a few months aftre the SC, I got a 0304 (knock sensor) and a EVAP canister. Reset - coma back on, reset - come back on, rest - come back on, reset - stay off. about 4 months after that (2 months ago) I start having a real tough time starting. Just as if my fule pump kill switch is flicked - but it isn't. Last night I got 3 codes! Knock sensor (again), O2 sesnor (rt bank) and fuel injection (rt bank). I am so bummed. Any ideas? I guess start with the knock sensor, right? Do I need a genuine Nissan or can I get one at AutoZone? Thanks in advance.
Well, since it is throwing an O2 sensor code, I would look into replacing the O2 sensors. www.foreignpartsplace.com has them for pretty cheap. Then, if you still have problems, check out getting a new knock sensor. As far as the brand of O2 Sensors, BOSCH is OEM, so you can get it from that internet site I gave you or Autozone, PepBoys, etc. And the knock sensor you WANT to get from a dealer, that is it. Do not go cheap when it comes to O2 sensors, knock sensor, any sensor....It would be like buying a Lamborghini Diable and putting on Honda parts....get the drift?

Also, dealing with your EVAP code, upon replacing my O2 sensors and knock sensor, mine went away. I was driving around with that code FOREVER, since the 5-speed swap in July....
Old 11-26-2002 | 12:32 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Well, since it is throwing an O2 sensor code, I would look into replacing the O2 sensors. www.foreignpartsplace.com has them for pretty cheap. Then, if you still have problems, check out getting a new knock sensor. As far as the brand of O2 Sensors, BOSCH is OEM, so you can get it from that internet site I gave you or Autozone, PepBoys, etc. And the knock sensor you WANT to get from a dealer, that is it. Do not go cheap when it comes to O2 sensors, knock sensor, any sensor....It would be like buying a Lamborghini Diable and putting on Honda parts....get the drift?

Also, dealing with your EVAP code, upon replacing my O2 sensors and knock sensor, mine went away. I was driving around with that code FOREVER, since the 5-speed swap in July....
I thank you.
Old 11-26-2002 | 12:35 PM
Ramius83

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

I thank you.
BTW, how many miles are on your Maxipad???? If anywhere 100k, then this should be your problem.
Old 11-26-2002 | 01:08 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

BTW, how many miles are on your Maxipad???? If anywhere 100k, then this should be your problem.
Try 130,000+