4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

K&N drop-in filter question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 09:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

K&N drop-in filter question

I just got the K&N drop-in filter and I noticed it came with 2 gaskets (foam strip). What do I do with these? The installation sheet has instructions and pictures that do not seem correspond to the 97 maxima airbox. I know I got the right part so do I just discard these gaskets.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:15 PM
What's next!?..

You actually stick them on the inside edges of the bottom half of the air box.

Keeps the filter from moving around.

At least thats what I did with them.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:07 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

when i had that, i didn't use them.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by NickStam
when i had that, i didn't use them.
Doesnt seem to make much difference.

SuDZ
Old 11-24-2002, 09:22 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

K&N filters

Take it back to the store and buy an AMSOIL LTF...you'll save some money and have a better filter. AMSOIL filters are oiled foam...they're cleanable, reusable, and they form a good seal around the airbox. AMSOIL filters provide vastly improved airflow without sacrificing filtering efficiency. Ed
Old 11-24-2002, 11:21 AM

Re: K&N filters

Originally posted by talkinghorse
Take it back to the store and buy an AMSOIL LTF...you'll save some money and have a better filter. AMSOIL filters are oiled foam...they're cleanable, reusable, and they form a good seal around the airbox. AMSOIL filters provide vastly improved airflow without sacrificing filtering efficiency. Ed
Considering you're the "talkinghorse", should we really be taking your advice (jk).

About the above mentioned filter: Won't a foam filter allow more particules thru and therefore be worse for your engine (like HKS foam system), or is this foam more dense?

RL
Old 11-24-2002, 02:08 PM

Re: Re: K&N filters

Originally posted by Vesaijan

Considering you're the "talkinghorse", should we really be taking your advice (jk).

About the above mentioned filter: Won't a foam filter allow more particules thru and therefore be worse for your engine (like HKS foam system), or is this foam more dense?

RL
Wilbur, Your choice, but I have read several independent tests which concluded the K&N improved air flow at the expence of dirt trapping efficiency. I'm not familiar with the HKS system. The foam filter I am referring to is constructed of two different densities of foam...the outer layer is very course and traps the largest particles...the inner layer is more dense. The foam filter is a full, depth-type filter which filters throughout it's medium. Since the foam is oiled with a very sticky oil, it essentially stops everything. Perhaps not a good comparison, but think back several years to lawnmower engines...they operated down close to the ground in very dirty conditions...by and large, they used oiled-foam filters as they stopped huge quantities of dirt yet provided for adequate air flow. Only recently did engine manufacturers switch to disposable paper air filters in these engines because the buying public demands convenience. Just my opinion... ed
Old 11-24-2002, 08:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: K&N filters

Originally posted by talkinghorse

Wilbur, Your choice, but I have read several independent tests which concluded the K&N improved air flow at the expence of dirt trapping efficiency. I'm not familiar with the HKS system. The foam filter I am referring to is constructed of two different densities of foam...the outer layer is very course and traps the largest particles...the inner layer is more dense. The foam filter is a full, depth-type filter which filters throughout it's medium. Since the foam is oiled with a very sticky oil, it essentially stops everything. Perhaps not a good comparison, but think back several years to lawnmower engines...they operated down close to the ground in very dirty conditions...by and large, they used oiled-foam filters as they stopped huge quantities of dirt yet provided for adequate air flow. Only recently did engine manufacturers switch to disposable paper air filters in these engines because the buying public demands convenience. Just my opinion... ed
Cool. Where do I find one?

RL
Old 11-25-2002, 03:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: K&N filters

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vesaijan
[B]

Locate a local AMSOIL dealer or you can order one from the company on-line @ www.AMSOIL.com. My reference guide says your car takes a TS-74. Retail price is $32.30 (dealer cost $24.30)plus tax and UPS. If you get in a bind, let me know and I can get you one for cost. Ed
Old 11-25-2002, 08:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: K&N filters

[QUOTE]Originally posted by talkinghorse
[B]
Originally posted by Vesaijan

Locate a local AMSOIL dealer or you can order one from the company on-line @ www.AMSOIL.com. My reference guide says your car takes a TS-74. Retail price is $32.30 (dealer cost $24.30)plus tax and UPS. If you get in a bind, let me know and I can get you one for cost. Ed
Wow, thanks dude. In fact, I am in a bind. This crazy Christmas shopping is putting a hole in my bank account. Oh well, hope someone's thinking of ME...

I'll check that out though. I am thoroughly intriqued.

Thanks,
RL