4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

squeaking from springs!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 01:45 PM

squeaking from springs!

Ok , guys I am not a frequent complainer, but I have a problem with my Eibach springs, which sits on KYB AGX's . I have notice when comming off of 1-2 gears , there is and annoying squeaking noise comming from the front suspension(none from the rear). I have inspected the springs and noticed that the two upper coils are touching. This was determined by visual rust on both coils( a concentric line of rust). No alot , but a small amount.
I have tried the Radioshack wire looms . They worked perfect ,when inserted on the coils. For the first time , since stock setup , I have truly enjoyed take off!( I might sound like an idiot , but that is ok).
Ok , now the squeaking has returned , after only one day, so basicaly I have failed to fix the problem (apparently the wire looms got busted). Now I am out of options. Does anyone have this problem , and any imput on how to fix this minor problem?
Thanks for all of your help , in advance.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:05 PM

Re: squeaking from springs!

Originally posted by maxdis1
Ok , guys I am not a frequent complainer, but I have a problem with my Eibach springs, which sits on KYB AGX's . I have notice when comming off of 1-2 gears , there is and annoying squeaking noise comming from the front suspension(none from the rear). I have inspected the springs and noticed that the two upper coils are touching. This was determined by visual rust on both coils( a concentric line of rust). No alot , but a small amount.
I have tried the Radioshack wire looms . They worked perfect ,when inserted on the coils. For the first time , since stock setup , I have truly enjoyed take off!( I might sound like an idiot , but that is ok).
Ok , now the squeaking has returned , after only one day, so basicaly I have failed to fix the problem (apparently the wire looms got busted). Now I am out of options. Does anyone have this problem , and any imput on how to fix this minor problem?
Thanks for all of your help , in advance.
Go to Queens Nissan parts Dept. Give them your vin # and tell them you need a spring seal that goes on the lower end(bottom) of the front springs(this is what nissan call this rubber-SEAL). Ask them to show you the diagram to make sure you are ordering the correct part, because they messed on my order once for this same rubber, Jack the car up and slip them in the upper coils that are touching. They come pre- glue in the inside, so once you put them on don't try to pull them off, otherwise they will move and the glue will mess up. 4 seals should do it, 2 seals on each front springs and they are $10.00 a piece. I noticed the 5th Gen Eibachs came pre wrapped on these coils, so they wouldn't make noise, but the 4th Gen Eibachs didn't come with it. The less lower you adjust the AGX settings, the more the piston rod travels , which cause the upper spring coils to touch more. To avoid this for the time being, you may wanna increase the AGX to a higher settings to prevent spring noise. I had this same exact problem when i had my progress/agx setup. Hope this helps.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:39 PM

Re: squeaking from springs!

check the sway bar bushings.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:11 PM

Re: Re: squeaking from springs!

Originally posted by mohfo
check the sway bar bushings.
true and very good point mohfo. so in other words if the sway bar bushings not working well, then there would be more suspension travel, causing the coils to move more right?

Another thing i was thinking is that Eibach did not spring coated the upper coils with the rubber tubing like they did with the 5th Gen Eibachs, so this might be reason why they are now doing it on the 5th gens. I know this for a fact, because i had both 5th and 4th gEN Eibachs brand new and i saw the differences.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:13 AM

Yes, if you installed polyurethane sway bar and/or control arm bushings, they will squeak unless they get lubricated. I've used Neverseize (upon assembly) in the past, and it worked great.

Good Luck!
Old 11-25-2002, 12:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: squeaking from springs!

Originally posted by Deven2kStickMax

true and very good point mohfo. so in other words if the sway bar bushings not working well, then there would be more suspension travel, causing the coils to move more right?

Another thing i was thinking is that Eibach did not spring coated the upper coils with the rubber tubing like they did with the 5th Gen Eibachs, so this might be reason why they are now doing it on the 5th gens. I know this for a fact, because i had both 5th and 4th gEN Eibachs brand new and i saw the differences.
Thanks for your imput. I too wished that I have had the rubber on my springs , like the 5th gen. I wonder why they did not retrofit them, like send a free set to those who buy the springs?
Thanks again, oh , I do not have any aftermarket sway bars. How do I know if the current sway bar bushings are worn? Where are thay located?