4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oil Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 04:59 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Oil Temp Gauge

I'm interested in installing an electric oil temp gauge in my '98 SE. I want the gauge to match the OEM instrumentation (white face, black lettering, red indicator) and want to mount it such that it looks professional and not just tacked on. Any suggestions on quality gauges and installation locations? Ed
Old 11-27-2002, 11:18 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Autometer phantom series but there isn't a stealth install...
Old 11-28-2002, 05:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can install it in the dash, also you need a temp manifold for the sensor as well since it is electric.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:56 AM

Oil Temp gauge

Originally posted by 96BLUMAX
You can install it in the dash, also you need a temp manifold for the sensor as well since it is electric.
I was thinking of installing it somehow in the storage bin located above the ash tray...would have to fabricate a plate in which to mount the gauge...I haven't measured it, but there might be space for a couple gauges in there. I really don't want to use the mounting pods that go on the a-pillar. I've seen the autometer gauges in a catalog and they look pretty good; however, a friend of mine (Supra-nut)told me if I wanted to get serious about it to look at Apexi..I think they're pretty costly. Appreciate all the help! ed
Old 11-29-2002, 02:56 AM

I think people have used the HKS gauge panel for that DIN slot. If I recall, it holds 2 gauges (not sure what size they are, though). If you have the smaller-sized Autometers (2 5/8?) you may be able to fit three in there.

The mounting plate isn't too hard, though. I just bent a piece of scrap sheet aluminum to fit and painted it black. Other people have used plastic or plexi to fit as well. Don't have the equipment to drill out the holes for the gauges, so my project stalled there.

Aloha,

Quack2x
Old 11-29-2002, 08:24 AM

oil Temp Gauge

Originally posted by Quack 2x
I think people have used the HKS gauge panel for that DIN slot. If I recall, it holds 2 gauges (not sure what size they are, though). If you have the smaller-sized Autometers (2 5/8?) you may be able to fit three in there.

The mounting plate isn't too hard, though. I just bent a piece of scrap sheet aluminum to fit and painted it black. Other people have used plastic or plexi to fit as well. Don't have the equipment to drill out the holes for the gauges, so my project stalled there.

Aloha,

Quack2x
Thanks for the input...did you remove the flip-up door which covers the bin? ed
Old 11-29-2002, 08:54 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

http://photos.imageevent.com/1max2nv...e/DCP00859.JPG

For oil temp gauge, you can't use a temp manifold. You have to drop your lower oil pan. Drill a hole and weld/braze on a bong. Screw the sender into the bong with some teflon thread sealant. HKS din panel holds three 2 1/16" size gauge with some modification.
Old 11-29-2002, 11:00 AM

Re: oil Temp Gauge

Originally posted by talkinghorse

Thanks for the input...did you remove the flip-up door which covers the bin? ed
Yep. Tried to fit the gauges behind the flip up door for a stealth look, but it wouldn't fit that way.

Aloha,

Quack2x
Old 11-29-2002, 01:07 PM

Oil Temp Gauge

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
http://photos.imageevent.com/1max2nv...e/DCP00859.JPG

For oil temp gauge, you can't use a temp manifold. You have to drop your lower oil pan. Drill a hole and weld/braze on a bong. Screw the sender into the bong with some teflon thread sealant. HKS din panel holds three 2 1/16" size gauge with some modification.
This is a very good installation...looks very professional. I added a VDO gauge trio (including oil temp gauge) to a SAAB I owned...the sending unit for that replaced the drain plug...I was hoping to find a vacant port somewhere on the (Maxima) block or oil filter housing that would accept a sending unit. My logic tells me that oil temp reading taken from the sump would be relatively low compared to readings taken from other locations...not sure of the "correct" location to position the sensor, but I'll see what's available. ed
Old 11-29-2002, 01:10 PM

Re: Oil Temp Gauge

This is a very good installation...looks very professional. I added a VDO gauge trio (including oil temp gauge) to a SAAB I owned...the sending unit for that replaced the drain plug...I was hoping to find a vacant port somewhere on the (Maxima) block or oil filter housing that would accept a sending unit. My logic tells me that oil temp reading taken from the sump would be relatively low compared to readings taken from other locations...not sure of the "correct" location to position the sensor, but I'll see what's available. ed
BTW...do you know the source/manufacturer the gauges in the pic? ed
Old 11-29-2002, 02:59 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Re: Re: Oil Temp Gauge

Here's something you might able to do. You can get the oil temp from the oil pressure sensor port.

http://photos.imageevent.com/1max2nv...e/DCP01032.JPG

I'm not sure how accurate the reading would be. I still think the best place to get oil temp is the oil pan.

Run the line to an open space. Use a T fitting so you can still screw in the OEM oil pressure sensor.

http://photos.imageevent.com/1max2nv...e/DCP00994.JPG

The problems I see is that since it's a remote location.

1. The temp might be lower than it really is in the block.
2. The oil might not be circulating so the temp might be static.

The meters are Autometer. I got them from www.summitracing.com

BTW...do you know the source/manufacturer the gauges in the pic? ed