4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

automatic climate control problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 07:39 PM

automatic climate control problems

I have a problem with my heater, it started about a week or so ago when my heater all of a sudden started blowing cold air, I have to turn the temperature all the way up before it would start to blow out warm air, it won't even blow hot air at high temps just warm. Anyone know what the cause of the problem could be or have had problems similar to this? I don't want to go to the dealer yet and get charged up the *** to fix this. Sorry I forgot to mention also at odd times the heat works for a little bit at low temps..
Old 11-29-2002, 08:34 AM

Re: automatic climate control problems

Originally posted by combo
I have a problem with my heater, it started about a week or so ago when my heater all of a sudden started blowing cold air, I have to turn the temperature all the way up before it would start to blow out warm air, it won't even blow hot air at high temps just warm. Anyone know what the cause of the problem could be or have had problems similar to this? I don't want to go to the dealer yet and get charged up the *** to fix this. Sorry I forgot to mention also at odd times the heat works for a little bit at low temps..
your thermastat prob has to be changed...it is stuck open...does your temp gauge stay at the right temperature when u are driving in cold weather...thermostat cost like 15 bucks..not an expensive item..i got mine at auto zone...
Old 11-29-2002, 01:25 PM

Is the temp gauge in your car near the middle when you're not getting the hot air? If not and it read cold, it's probably as tonyg24 said, the thermostat may be stuck open. If the car is running hot, then it could be problems with the water pump impeller needing a replacement water pump. If the gauge is in the correct zone, then I'd look at the heater control valve that diverts coolant to the heater core and at the possibility of a clogged heater core. When is the last time you changed your coolant? If it's been recently, it could be you have and air bubble in the system preventing coolant from going to the heater core. If it's been a while, what is the condition of the coolant? If it's orange or appears to have particulate matter suspended within it, it could be a clogged heater core.

-V
Old 11-29-2002, 07:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Could be thermostat, like already suggested. Also, it could be that your coolant is low. Check those before the visit to the dealer.

DW