4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HEAT kinda not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 07:55 AM

HEAT kinda not working

ok well here in chicago its a lil cold now and i want my car to be ncie and hot for me.....but it seems that the heat isnt working for some reason. i think this can be 1 of 2 things....i need more antifreeze or a bad thermostat unit (i think thats what it is called). sometimes i have the heat turned up to 1 and its set all teh way on hot and after my car has been running for about 10 min my car is very very hot so basically on 4 my car would be blowing nice HOT air..... last time this happened was last week. now i have it turned up to 4 and all the way hot and my car barley blows HOT air. its warm as if it is set half way between cold and hot. i hope this is making sense. is there any other way to see what else can be causing this problem?? and im also wondering why sometimes its really hot and sometimes its not.

thanx guys, Tom

ps. i also noticed something like this in the summer. at times i thought my AC was not cold and other times it was freezing in my car. hope someone can help.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:50 AM

have yo unoticed your temp gauge on the dash fluctuating? Once it gets up to normal operating temps (somewhere around the halfway point) it should stay there. If not, then replace the thermostat. If it does hold a constant engine temp, have your heater core checked and your A/C charged.

I've been kind of unhappy with the way my car heats up too. I'm in St Paul so it get's chilly here too. I drive about 20 minutes to work at highway speed and the the car is still blowing with max fan speed when I have the temp set to 82^. It never gets quite warm enough in there.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by luttersj
have yo unoticed your temp gauge on the dash fluctuating? Once it gets up to normal operating temps (somewhere around the halfway point) it should stay there. If not, then replace the thermostat. If it does hold a constant engine temp, have your heater core checked and your A/C charged.

I've been kind of unhappy with the way my car heats up too. I'm in St Paul so it get's chilly here too. I drive about 20 minutes to work at highway speed and the the car is still blowing with max fan speed when I have the temp set to 82^. It never gets quite warm enough in there.

no i have not noticed it fluctuating....where is the heater core and what does it do??? i charged/filled my AC within the last month when i installed my new AC compressor.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:41 AM

I'm not sure exactly where the heater core is. Usually it's in the engine compartment right behind the glove box. click here for a description of how it works

Here's an FYI for you. You're A/C pump will not operate below 42^ (I think that's the number...). You can still turn the A/C on on the dash, but the pump itself will not work. So you can't acuratly test your system until it warms up again.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by luttersj
I'm not sure exactly where the heater core is. Usually it's in the engine compartment right behind the glove box. click here for a description of how it works

Here's an FYI for you. You're A/C pump will not operate below 42^ (I think that's the number...). You can still turn the A/C on on the dash, but the pump itself will not work. So you can't acuratly test your system until it warms up again.

well when i changed my ac compressor it was in a heated garage and my car was in tehre all day....we had teh heat on 75 degrees but maybe it wasnt really that warm...who knows?? hopefully ill get this checked out this weekend....i want hot air again