4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

3 questions, intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002 | 05:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

3 questions, intake

Well guess what happened when I opened my hood today? My freaking cone filter was about to fall into my engine. It came apart from the polished finished connected to the MAF adapter, luckily I had my airbox their. Damn cheap glue, I guess I have been running my car to hard and it got too hot. Well I was wondering how I could put it back? I was going to get some 3m adhesive spray, I don't want to duct tape it to the MAF, that would be ghetto. Also another question.. I was thinking about removing all that sound deadning crap, is it hard to remove? Also final question, I was looking at the Weapon-R box thats coming out soon for the maxima, do those really work? I mean you are still sucking air in from the engine bay right? So it will still be the same temperature or does it really protect agianst heat. $197 dollars is pretty steep too.......
Old 12-03-2002 | 05:54 PM

Re: 3 questions, intake

Originally posted by spanishrice
Well guess what happened when I opened my hood today? My freaking cone filter was about to fall into my engine. It came apart from the polished finished connected to the MAF adapter, luckily I had my airbox their. Damn cheap glue, I guess I have been running my car to hard and it got too hot. Well I was wondering how I could put it back? I was going to get some 3m adhesive spray, I don't want to duct tape it to the MAF, that would be ghetto. Also another question.. I was thinking about removing all that sound deadning crap, is it hard to remove? Also final question, I was looking at the Weapon-R box thats coming out soon for the maxima, do those really work? I mean you are still sucking air in from the engine bay right? So it will still be the same temperature or does it really protect agianst heat. $197 dollars is pretty steep too.......

If you want to take out that sound deadning stuff, you might at well make (or buy) a midpipe. You can search for $15 intake, or midpipe. Also, i think zipties could be used to keep the cone on the MAF...

Anyone else? I might not have gotten some of this right- im out of it...
Old 12-03-2002 | 07:09 PM

i vote for mid pipe. its worth it.
Old 12-03-2002 | 08:40 PM

Use a large hose clamp to hold the filter securely on the MAF and eliminate leaks

Adhesive is not the way 2 go on this.

Member "Danielsan," who (I think) did the original $15 upper intake mod has since replaced his with a metal version which he painted and which looks much better than the $15 original.

The thread's out there somewhere - do a search; I just saw it the other day. Great step by step, parts list & everything.

EDIT: LINK PROVIDED BELOW

If you're handy, make your own upper intake/midpipe for less than $15 in materials - don't spend $30, $40, or $50 for a simple piece of tubing.
Old 12-04-2002 | 10:28 AM

Re: Use a large hose clamp to hold the filter securely on the MAF and eliminate leaks

Originally posted by KWheelzSB
Adhesive is not the way 2 go on this.

If you're handy, make your own upper intake/midpipe for less than $15 in materials - don't spend $30, $40, or $50 for a simple piece of tubing.
mine actually only cost $12.46
Old 12-04-2002 | 10:36 AM

Re: 3 questions, intake

Originally posted by spanishrice
i have a feeling that you forgot to use a clamp - is that why it fell off???
Old 12-04-2002 | 10:38 AM

Re: Re: Use a large hose clamp to hold the filter securely on the MAF and eliminate leaks

http://drwebdesign.com/mymaxima/upperintake.html

get rid of that sound resonating box!! toolrocks said he even got a better 1/4 mile time too.. How's that for 15 bucks?
Old 12-04-2002 | 10:41 AM
GoldenGlory

save urself the headache...

buy a cold air intake..and a y-pipe

Old 12-04-2002 | 10:58 AM

Re: Re: Re: Use a large hose clamp to hold the filter securely on the MAF and eliminate leaks

Originally posted by Danielsan
http://drwebdesign.com/mymaxima/upperintake.html

get rid of that sound resonating box!! toolrocks said he even got a better 1/4 mile time too.. How's that for 15 bucks?
Hey DS,

I like your new midpipe & I currently have the original $15 intake on my car - only concern I have on the new one is regarding the materials.

We all know what happens to exhaust-grade steel over time - it rusts horribly.

Since the intake airflow is often cool and loaded with moisture (from rainy or humid conditions), my concern is that the untreated inner surface of the midpipe could rust over time, allowing unfiltered particles of rust and oxidation to enter the intake and the engine. It might take a few months to a year before it's a real issue, but I bet it will be an issue.

Did you paint or treat the inside of the midpipe to address this?

An alternative might be to use equivalent diameter tubing in aluminum, although I'm sure it would be more expensive & harder to source. Anyone out there have a hookup on this kind of thing, or know where to get it relatively cheaply?
Old 12-04-2002 | 11:08 AM
GoldenGlory

i thought i neva see u guys go this low n cheap with ur maximas for an intake.....

spend the $ and get a real intake !!!!!
Old 12-04-2002 | 11:15 AM

Adhesives in engine compartment=BAD IDEA

ever open your hood avter driving an hour or so? It's really hot! The only adhesive I have ever seen work well in an engine compartment is JB weld and you don't wanna mess with that stuff. Go to any hardware store and get some ring clamps. As for cheap midpipes, I bought the frankencar midpipe, yes it was 50 bucks, but it looks, fits, and sounds beautiful, plus I am never worried about a home-made pipe coming off and letting my engine suck in all those nasty contaminants...
Old 12-04-2002 | 12:37 PM

Originally posted by GoldenGlory
i thought i neva see u guys go this low n cheap with ur maximas for an intake.....

spend the $ and get a real intake !!!!!
why is this low and cheap? it performs the exact same as a hybrid mid pipe?
Old 12-04-2002 | 01:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Use a large hose clamp to hold the filter securely on the MAF and eliminate leaks

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

Hey DS,

I like your new midpipe & I currently have the original $15 intake on my car - only concern I have on the new one is regarding the materials.

We all know what happens to exhaust-grade steel over time - it rusts horribly.

Since the intake airflow is often cool and loaded with moisture (from rainy or humid conditions), my concern is that the untreated inner surface of the midpipe could rust over time, allowing unfiltered particles of rust and oxidation to enter the intake and the engine. It might take a few months to a year before it's a real issue, but I bet it will be an issue.

Did you paint or treat the inside of the midpipe to address this?

An alternative might be to use equivalent diameter tubing in aluminum, although I'm sure it would be more expensive & harder to source. Anyone out there have a hookup on this kind of thing, or know where to get it relatively cheaply?
Thats a good point, I've had my pipe for some time now and havent had a chance to look inside to make sure that rust inst a factor. The pipe I have is aluminized and should help to prevent that. If contaminants do become a factor then I will go back and coat the whole thing with something.

GoldenGlory-> you probably think it is a rice mod huh? It may not be the most popular option now, but when I made the 1st pipe the Frankencar wasnt available and I wasnt about to buy the entire cold air just for the midpipe section. I think this used a little ingenuity and tinkering and acheives the same effect for a lot less money. Whats wrong with that?

So if I got the Frankencar for $15 which does and looks nearly the same would it still be low and cheap?
Old 12-04-2002 | 01:55 PM

i personally love my custom mid pipe...nothing wrong with it being cheesy....its just for people who cant afford the full $50 for a frankencar midpipe....it performs just as great, and you have something on your car that you can call "custom", and you made it yourself
Old 12-04-2002 | 02:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Use a large hose clamp to hold the filter securely on the MAF and eliminate leak

Originally posted by Danielsan

Thats a good point, I've had my pipe for some time now and havent had a chance to look inside to make sure that rust inst a factor. The pipe I have is aluminized and should help to prevent that. If contaminants do become a factor then I will go back and coat the whole thing with something.

GoldenGlory-> you probably think it is a rice mod huh? It may not be the most popular option now, but when I made the 1st pipe the Frankencar wasnt available and I wasnt about to buy the entire cold air just for the midpipe section. I think this used a little ingenuity and tinkering and acheives the same effect for a lot less money. Whats wrong with that?

So if I got the Frankencar for $15 which does and looks nearly the same would it still be low and cheap?

Way to put the smackdown! Custom work, if done with an attention to detail and quality workmanship, is anything but low & cheap.

It comes down to this: there are basically two kinds of automobile enthusiasts-

1) Those that like to drive their cars, but have little interest in tinkering.

-and

2) Those that like to drive their cars, and who take great pride in using their ingenuity and creativity to customize their rides and make affordable upgrades that other people either lack the interest (in DIY projects) or lack the skills to do it themselves.

Whichever category you fall into, in the famed words of SNL 12-stepper, Stuart Smalley:

"Thats. . .okay."