4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ignition coil recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 01:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is rediculous

I also have a '99 Maxima and less than 12 months ago I was coded with cylinder 2 misfire, of course I was at the 38k mark and the Nissan dealer just laughed and said sorry. My buddy replaced the coil for $125, Nissans supposed dealer cost. Now I know that I got screwed on that also. On top of that my Max is at 50k now and I have a cylinder 6 misfire code along with a multiple cylinder misfire code. It's looking like I have to take a hit in the wallet for at least two more. Where can i get some of these for $60-65? What is wrong with Nissan. I use to love Nissans, I was debating on buying a new Nissan Titan when they come out, forget about that now, Nissan is screwing us all and eventually themselves. Well, not me anymore. They finally got there name out of the mud within the past 10 years and it appears there willing to regress again and insert there name back where it was. Thanks for any info. on places to get coils cheap.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

engine misfire

I think I have the same problem with a slightly modified history. My cel went on and I had a slightly rough idle so I took it in. They said it was 2 bad fuel injectors that were causing 1 and 6 misfires. I took the hit and about 2 weeks later (yesterday), the cel went back on. This is getting expensive. Should I take it in again? What do you all think is the problem. It doesn't feel rough anymore but since I am worried, I haven't pushed it over 2500 RPM since the light went back on.
BTW, I am a new member. This sight rocks...
Old 02-18-2003, 09:04 PM

Re: engine misfire

one more thing,
IT all started when I just took the damn car in for a tune up and oil change. After my mechanic changed the plugs, he noted the misfire and then the CEL went on. He got an EGR error code so he replaced that. I drove 5 hours and in the last hour of the highway trip the CEL went on again. This was before I replaced the 1 and 6 fuel injectors and cleaned the plenum, change the fuel filter, etc.

Help!
thanks.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:30 PM

Re: Re: engine misfire

Originally posted by Rowan
one more thing,
IT all started when I just took the damn car in for a tune up and oil change. After my mechanic changed the plugs, he noted the misfire and then the CEL went on. He got an EGR error code so he replaced that. I drove 5 hours and in the last hour of the highway trip the CEL went on again. This was before I replaced the 1 and 6 fuel injectors and cleaned the plenum, change the fuel filter, etc.

Help!
thanks.

TAKE IT BACK!!!

If it turns out to be the anything related to what you already
"fixed" then I'd be pretty pizzed off at them

and, when they B.S. you saying it's something new, post and let
us know remember, bad coils are "fairly" common. I put fairly
in quotes because it's a relative term, but, check out this post
for evidence!

FLO_BOY
Old 02-19-2003, 11:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: engine misfire

Thanks for the advice. What should I ask them? Should I tell them that it may be the coils or not?

I appreciate all your inputs!

-Rowan
Old 02-19-2003, 12:17 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

Originally posted by DeRaNgEd
Nissan won't recall **** unless it is life threatening. As in fire, axle snaping, airbag, brakes...etc.

If the coil fail Nissan will laugh at you and say buy another coil for $80, it's not going to kill you.

So unless you tell them that your coil caught on fire then they are recalling ****.

JMO

then i think it's time that we contact consumer reports. Every year, Consumer reports puts out a special cars issue, and recommends which vehicles are reliable, and which ones suck. They've been pushing the maxima for some time now, and it would be really bad for their reputation to find out that a car that they've been recommending has a very costly problem that nissan refuses to acknowledge.

We tell CR, then petition Nissan to issue a recall. Nissan comes under fire from owners and the media, and is forced to issue a recall to save face. We win.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:30 PM

the reason a manufacturer issues a recall is when the potential cost of lawsuits outweighs the cost of the recall. if the coils do not pose a serious drivibility problem that could cause an accident or fire or something like that, then there will be no recall. sorry. but good luck!
Old 02-19-2003, 12:49 PM

then what's the deal with the alternator recall....to my understanding, they weren't causing fires or anything, they were just dying on people. Evidently there was an engineering problem with the alternators that caused them to have to be recalled.....and there has to be an engineering problem with the coil packs that are causing so many to fail.

And what do you consider a "serious driveability problem"? Because i would put losing multiple coil packs under "Serious driveability problems". Especially, since something like that gives the dealer a chance to rape another maxima owner. $80 a coil...$125 a coil...$1300 to have coils replaced? WTF? Man, i want a recall in case i ever have to be in this situation, because i sure as hell do not have that kind of money lying around.

Also, there have been times when enough people have rallied to a cause to attract enough attention that lawyers start to get involved. Look at the giant class-action lawsuits against GM for their side-maounted gas tanks on GM trucks. Granted no one is dying becuase of coil packs, but there have been times when lawsuits have been filed even though no deaths occured. When i had my tempo, i recieved a letter from Ford, stating that i should check my VIN, and if my car corresponded to a certain model, that i was entitled to roughly $250 for work that had been, or would have to be done on the suspension, because a lawsuit had been filed, and Ford had lost, and it was part of the setlement that they had to notify all past and present owners that they were entitled to compensation. The work that needed to be done was nothing life threatening, but enough people had had it done, that it showed that ford had sent a faulty product out on the streets.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:09 PM

serious driveability=will potentially kill driver
Old 02-19-2003, 02:56 PM

so i think we should go for a class-action lawsuit...If we win, every maxima owner gets their coil packs replaced for free

i dunno....is it just general opinion that the coil packs suck, or is there scientific evidence that these things are not lasting as long as they should be.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by fearthegecko
so i think we should go for a class-action lawsuit...If we win, every maxima owner gets their coil packs replaced for free

i dunno....is it just general opinion that the coil packs suck, or is there scientific evidence that these things are not lasting as long as they should be.
maybe someone can figure out how to remanufacture them. I mean, they are only transformers right? If a 12V signal comes in and it sends a 50,000V signal out, it is a MAJOR step-up inductor, but not THAT hard to fix. Does anyone know exactly what goes bad? Is there other kinds of circuitry where resistors could burn or something? That would be really easy to fix.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My question is why do some coil packs last 200K miles and some die at 30K? Or in my case at 63K.

In my case it's probably a moot point. I've decided that it's time to seperate from this ride. It makes me sad, but with the cost of fuel about to spiral up to european levels, it's time to upgrade from my lowly 26 city / 29 hwy.
That and with 70K on the clock, I see many dollars in maitenance costs going out of my check book soon.
It sure has been fun though.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:34 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

then what's the deal with the alternator recall....to my understanding, they weren't causing fires or anything, they were just dying on people. Evidently there was an engineering problem with the alternators that caused them to have to be recalled.....and there has to be an engineering problem with the coil packs that are causing so many to fail.

And what do you consider a "serious driveability problem"? Because i would put losing multiple coil packs under "Serious driveability problems". Especially, since something like that gives the dealer a chance to rape another maxima owner. $80 a coil...$125 a coil...$1300 to have coils replaced? WTF? Man, i want a recall in case i ever have to be in this situation, because i sure as hell do not have that kind of money lying around.

Also, there have been times when enough people have rallied to a cause to attract enough attention that lawyers start to get involved. Look at the giant class-action lawsuits against GM for their side-maounted gas tanks on GM trucks. Granted no one is dying becuase of coil packs, but there have been times when lawsuits have been filed even though no deaths occured. When i had my tempo, i recieved a letter from Ford, stating that i should check my VIN, and if my car corresponded to a certain model, that i was entitled to roughly $250 for work that had been, or would have to be done on the suspension, because a lawsuit had been filed, and Ford had lost, and it was part of the setlement that they had to notify all past and present owners that they were entitled to compensation. The work that needed to be done was nothing life threatening, but enough people had had it done, that it showed that ford had sent a faulty product out on the streets.
So basically, who's got the guts, time, and money to file a lawsuit against Nissan for the coilpacks?

sure as hell isn't gonna be me
Old 02-19-2003, 06:50 PM

Re: Re: engine misfire

one more thing,

Help!
thanks.
I have the EXACT same problem you have. I took my car in to the mechanic for a tune up, he changed the oil, fuel filter, and spark plugs. About a week later my cel turned on and my car started to kinda misfire and i took it ot the mechanic. He checked the code and got the egr code. He cleaned out the egr but then the cel turned back on and it was worse. I insisted he change the spark plugs (which he did for free) and now the cel hasnt turned back on but it still gives the jolt every once in a while and when i am coming ot a stop it gives a hard jolt. Can someone help? thanks.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by nadir_s

So basically, who's got the guts, time, and money to file a lawsuit against Nissan for the coilpacks?

sure as hell isn't gonna be me
step 1: find out how many people nationwide, not just on the org, have had problems with coil packs.

step 2: Depending on response, someone talks to a lawyer and finds out if we have a case.

then either: A. there is no case, and we go on with our lives as normal.
or B. we have a case, and get evidence to back us up, then take nissan to court.

As far as money goes, we either get a lawyer who will get paid out of money from settlement, or we have every person who wishes to recieve something from said settlement contribute into a lawyer fund. Think about it: If every memeber on the org contributed $10, we'd have more than enough to fund a legal team.
Granted, it would take more planning and details, but that's the basic idea.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:37 PM

step 1: find out how many people nationwide, not just on the org, have had problems with coil packs.

step 2: Depending on response, someone talks to a lawyer and finds out if we have a case.

then either: A. there is no case, and we go on with our lives as normal.
or B. we have a case, and get evidence to back us up, then take nissan to court.

As far as money goes, we either get a lawyer who will get paid out of money from settlement, or we have every person who wishes to recieve something from said settlement contribute into a lawyer fund. Think about it: If every memeber on the org contributed $10, we'd have more than enough to fund a legal team.
Granted, it would take more planning and details, but that's the basic idea.
good luck, but you probably would not see any money in the life of your car.

it is a valiant idea, but unless you can show nissan that this problem could cost them more money than them issuing a recall, it probably will not happen.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:39 PM

Me too...

My 97 I30t misfired right after I replaced my plugs with Bosch double platinums. I took it by Auto-Zone, but they couldn't tell me much about the 1320 code, just that it was something to do with the iginition system. I erased the code, but the light came on again a few weeks later. I haven't noticed any WOT power loss, but some rough idle has been present. It's freakin cold in the mid-west this time of year, so I just attributed it to that. I'll have to check the coils, but it definately seems like they could be the problem.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:41 PM

Re: Me too...

Originally posted by tI30t
My 97 I30t misfired right after I replaced my plugs with Bosch double platinums. I took it by Auto-Zone, but they couldn't tell me much about the 1320 code, just that it was something to do with the iginition system. I erased the code, but the light came on again a few weeks later. I haven't noticed any WOT power loss, but some rough idle has been present. It's freakin cold in the mid-west this time of year, so I just attributed it to that. I'll have to check the coils, but it definately seems like they could be the problem.
i dont think the plug alone will cause misfire, but there is ONLY ONE plug for the max, NGK Platinum. (ok ok, coppers too, but that is a different story).
Old 02-20-2003, 09:58 PM

Re: Re: Me too...

Originally posted by Miasma

i dont think the plug alone will cause misfire, but there is ONLY ONE plug for the max, NGK Platinum. (ok ok, coppers too, but that is a different story).

This is a different story, but anyway... I asked the Infiniti dealer in Indy (Dreyer Reinbold BMW, Infiniti, etc.) to replace my plugs with platinums last time. They charged me $151 out the $760 service for the plug replacement. I've more time on my hands lately, and have been putting a turbo kit together for the car... In the process of preparing for the major modifications I decided to change to the cooler copper NGKs. I pulled the plugs and found that they were not the platinum tipped ones I had listed on my receipt. After further inspection, I decided to hold off on the turbo until summer and just install the Bosch double platinum plugs that my friends had good results with. I know they aren't specified by Nissan. Do you think they'll cause any damage?? I'm sure they produce a much hotter spark.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Me too...

This is a different story, but anyway... I asked the Infiniti dealer in Indy (Dreyer Reinbold BMW, Infiniti, etc.) to replace my plugs with platinums last time. They charged me $151 out the $760 service for the plug replacement. I've more time on my hands lately, and have been putting a turbo kit together for the car... In the process of preparing for the major modifications I decided to change to the cooler copper NGKs. I pulled the plugs and found that they were not the platinum tipped ones I had listed on my receipt. After further inspection, I decided to hold off on the turbo until summer and just install the Bosch double platinum plugs that my friends had good results with. I know they aren't specified by Nissan. Do you think they'll cause any damage?? I'm sure they produce a much hotter spark.
with NDIS the spark is about as hot as it will get. the timing of the engine is made for the NGK properties, so it is really best to stick with NDIS.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I did my 60,000 miles check up last week, and yesterday cel light came up.. after $85 computer diagnosis, the dealer for the 60,000 miles check up said, the ignition coils are not firing properly.. now, my dealer says it will cost $878 - including parts and labor for replacing 6 of them. Is this recurring problem ???
Old 02-25-2003, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by Miasma

good luck, but you probably would not see any money in the life of your car.

it is a valiant idea, but unless you can show nissan that this problem could cost them more money than them issuing a recall, it probably will not happen.

i was watching the news last night, and there was a story about a couple who bought a new passat, and like a year after having it, the coil packs went bad, and the dealer quoted them a price of $1500, and the couple went to the local news station. The newspeople did a story on the dealer, and the dealer wound up replacing alltheir coil packs for free.

these guys will do anything to prevent bad publicity.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:58 AM

The 1999 model seem to have more coil problems than other model years. See if you can narrow down the specific malfunctioning coil from the trouble code from the ECM, then you will only have to replace one coil. It's alot cheaper if you can find the bad coil. They are not a very hard DIY job. Just two screws to remove and replace. Remember that the front coils and rear coils are different part numbers when you go to buy the coils.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:12 PM

bad coils

When will this thred end? Ever?
Old 02-25-2003, 03:10 PM

I don't know when it will end...

I have the 1320 code, does anyone know what code or part of a code indicates which coil is bad?

Can Auto Zone tell this with their OBDII handheld, or is a dealer $$$ thing??
Old 02-25-2003, 04:35 PM

I don't know when it will end...

I have the 1320 code, does anyone know what code or part of a code indicates which coil is bad?

Can Auto Zone tell this with their OBDII handheld, or is a dealer $$$ thing??
Use the SEARCH function...it's really you're best friend!!!
or, you can check the top of the forum where it says:

ECU fault code diagnosis ("HELP! MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON!!")

FLO_BOY
Old 02-25-2003, 06:53 PM

I have some ignition coils to sell......
Old 02-26-2003, 01:16 PM

I have a question. Do you have to remove the intake to replace the #3 coil pack? It's the center coil closest to the fire wall.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:10 PM

coil pack

Originally posted by Freedog
I have a question. Do you have to remove the intake to replace the #3 coil pack? It's the center coil closest to the fire wall.
I have replaced/switched every coil on the engine bank and didn't remove anyting to get to the coils. The rear bank doesn't even have a cover on them like the front bank so they are easier and quicker to remove. two srews and thats it. And to think that most Nissan dealerships charge 30 minutes of labor just to replace one. rediculous.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:26 PM

The vibration coming from a friends car after 2 of his coil packs went bad, caused a severe vibration, which was the direct effect of a wheel bearing getting ruined, and a tire falling off, and he was killed ....if that's not enuff for nissan to have a recoil then i dont know...

ok well im kidding, but nissan doesnt have to know that
Old 02-28-2003, 09:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well its looks like my second coil pack is going south, just pulled the 1320 code. Last time it seemed to be a couple of weeks before I was able to determine which coil was bad or before the computer specified which cylinder had the misfire. My car has 89k on it if anyone was wondering, runs flawlessly other than that.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looks like the #6 cylinder coil is dying.... @ 77,000 miles..

I don't have a diagram of the engine...or a book..

Which cylinder is # 6 ?... please say its in the front
Old 03-05-2003, 04:55 AM

My dad called a local Nissan dealer for his 90,000 miles service, and the guy said they would "change oil, check fluids, top off fluids, check breakes, check transmission" and so-on, minor things. NO replacement. Their quote, $399.95. WTF?! Is everywhere this expensive? I think his timing chain and starter are going south, and need replacement, but they said that would cost extra for parts and labor. Man, my faith in Nissan Dealerships has hit rock bottom.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:47 AM

Just got back from Dealer.OUCH!!! CEL came on Friday(67K miles) and was just told ALL Coils are bad or going bad. Estimate approx $600.
What's going on??? Is this a problem Nissan needs to look at?
99 MAX owner--but how much longer??
Old 03-05-2003, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Boomer
Just got back from Dealer.OUCH!!! CEL came on Friday(67K miles) and was just told ALL Coils are bad or going bad. Estimate approx $600.
What's going on??? Is this a problem Nissan needs to look at?
99 MAX owner--but how much longer??
Why didn't you save yourself hundreds of dollars and self-diagnose the promblem yourself? This is why Nissan dealerships(all dealerships for that matter)charge so much, you as an owner can easily find out why the check engine light is on, especially for coils, with in 5 minutes. You might get your hands dirty but oh well. Maxima.org is an unbelievable source for do it yourself diagnoses and problem solving. If you are haveing a problem, chances are, a hundred other maxima owners have had the same problem and can tell you how much and how to fix it. Why do people keep taking their cars to the dealerships to get f*cked and then wonder why they got f*cked? Its a dealership, I worked for one, unless you need a tranny rebuild don't bring it in for minor probs. Check engine light comes on, immediately save yourself $75-100 and diagnose the problem first. Why is this so hard to understand?
Old 03-06-2003, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by Gramdacious

Why didn't you save yourself hundreds of dollars and self-diagnose the promblem yourself? This is why Nissan dealerships(all dealerships for that matter)charge so much, you as an owner can easily find out why the check engine light is on, especially for coils, with in 5 minutes. You might get your hands dirty but oh well. Maxima.org is an unbelievable source for do it yourself diagnoses and problem solving. If you are haveing a problem, chances are, a hundred other maxima owners have had the same problem and can tell you how much and how to fix it. Why do people keep taking their cars to the dealerships to get f*cked and then wonder why they got f*cked? Its a dealership, I worked for one, unless you need a tranny rebuild don't bring it in for minor probs. Check engine light comes on, immediately save yourself $75-100 and diagnose the problem first. Why is this so hard to understand?
Hey!!! Calm down....I did save hundreds of dollars cause I AIN'T going back to the Nissan stealership. Changed cyl 4 coil and reset CEL, so far so good.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:53 PM

update to CEL

So I finally took in the car and luckily it wasn't the coils that was causing the CEL to go on. Here's the ridiculous real reason.

So the mechanic went in to the car after telling me that that eveything was functioning normally by their tests except the light was still on. He said that maybe the ECU was corroded causing the multi code CEL. It ended up being fine so he started pulling apart the car. He noticed a tail just below the engine. Investigating further he found another tail... then another...! Finally, he saw the real reason for my CEL problem. A damn family of rats had decided (to their demise) to winter under my engine! They were dead (I guess from the engine heat) but before they croaked they managed to nibble on a bunch of wires that triggered the CEL! Holy crap! I had never heard of such ridiculousness until I saw it with my own eyes! Anyhow, he sealed/replaced the wires and now the car is fine. SO FAR...

The saga continues...

-Rowan
Old 03-06-2003, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by Boomer

Hey!!! Calm down....I did save hundreds of dollars cause I AIN'T going back to the Nissan stealership. Changed cyl 4 coil and reset CEL, so far so good.
Good to hear. Sorry, wasn't rtying to come down on you, I have just seen som many people get ripped at a dealership when they could of handled the problem themelves, including me before I was.....enlightened.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:03 AM

Re: update to CEL

So I finally took in the car and luckily it wasn't the coils that was causing the CEL to go on. Here's the ridiculous real reason.

So the mechanic went in to the car after telling me that that eveything was functioning normally by their tests except the light was still on. He said that maybe the ECU was corroded causing the multi code CEL. It ended up being fine so he started pulling apart the car. He noticed a tail just below the engine. Investigating further he found another tail... then another...! Finally, he saw the real reason for my CEL problem. A damn family of rats had decided (to their demise) to winter under my engine! They were dead (I guess from the engine heat) but before they croaked they managed to nibble on a bunch of wires that triggered the CEL! Holy crap! I had never heard of such ridiculousness until I saw it with my own eyes! Anyhow, he sealed/replaced the wires and now the car is fine. SO FAR...

The saga continues...
-Rowan

Heheh... i got a better one for you. Last year, my friend's dad buys a brand new passat: leather, moonroof, everything. He parks it in their car port, and goes to Italy for two weeks. He comes back, and the car won't start. He opens the hood, and the entire underliner (sound deadener) under the hood is in pieces on and in the engine. All the wires and hoses have been eaten and frayed, and there's scratch marks on the valve cover. Turns out a family of squirrels had lived there for a week or so, and destroyed as musch as they could. Between a complete engine breakdown ( why they did that, i don't know) and replacing most of the wires and hoses in the engine compartment, it cost him something like $8000. After that, he went out and spent another $300 on a rifle. Now he'll take shots at the squirrels in the backyard.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:20 PM

Re: Re: update to CEL

omg that's ridiculous! I love all animals but I would have to shoot those damn squirrels as well

-R

Heheh... i got a better one for you. Last year, my friend's dad buys a brand new passat: leather, moonroof, everything. He parks it in their car port, and goes to Italy for two weeks. He comes back, and the car won't start. He opens the hood, and the entire underliner (sound deadener) under the hood is in pieces on and in the engine. All the wires and hoses have been eaten and frayed, and there's scratch marks on the valve cover. Turns out a family of squirrels had lived there for a week or so, and destroyed as musch as they could. Between a complete engine breakdown ( why they did that, i don't know) and replacing most of the wires and hoses in the engine compartment, it cost him something like $8000. After that, he went out and spent another $300 on a rifle. Now he'll take shots at the squirrels in the backyard.

Quick Reply: ignition coil recall