4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Max's vs Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 11:47 AM

Max's vs Snow

Are 4th gen's generally crappy in the snow. My front end was all over the place even while going slow with my autocrappic in 1st gear.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:56 AM

Yeah, mine sucked too. Hence my question earlier in the week about Phantom Grip VLSD conversion, which I'm still up in the air about.
Old 12-06-2002, 12:07 PM

Yeah, mine sucks in the snow.
Maximas are nice (in good weather conditions) with the light engine and light 5 speed transmission with front wheel drive...but add that with a big box in the trunk with 2 subs, an amplifier and spare tire in trunk = goodbye traction (in bad weather conditions - SNOW!).
(That is just my contributing theory...I may be dead wrong )
Old 12-06-2002, 12:09 PM

Mine's been doing great, but I also have snow tires on the front with TCS/LSD
Old 12-06-2002, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by talisman311
Mine's been doing great, but I also have snow tires on the front with TCS/LSD
...(cheater)

j/k
Old 12-06-2002, 12:21 PM
I need a truck

Originally posted by MacGyver265
Yeah, mine sucked too. Hence my question earlier in the week about Phantom Grip VLSD conversion, which I'm still up in the air about.

get better tires, mine did fine
Old 12-06-2002, 12:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Snow tires are key, with them on, I was golden. I was out doing SUV's and their smart *** drivers in Vermont all winter.
To be honest, my Maxima with winter tires are much better than my truck with 4WD, and easier to handle. I just don't have the clearance in the Max as I do in the truck.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:12 PM
dko
duck and cover

Re: Max's vs Snow

regardless of what you drive you still have to adapt to driving in snow, ice and slush. a friend of mine has a subaru 2.5 legacy with snow tires and he still managed to skid and total his car a week and a half ago. while i managed fairly okay in my brother's GS300 (RWD and summer only tires) (max was in the shop). a huge part of winter driving is the driver. and what the hell are you doing in 1st gear, anyway? Even in my auto in just rain I can spin out for a half block if I go above 2000 RPM, and that's with good tires.

the moral of the story is drive right and most of the time you can manage. drive wrong and the hardware doesn't matter much.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:04 PM

Re: Re: Max's vs Snow

Originally posted by dko
regardless of what you drive you still have to adapt to driving in snow, ice and slush. a friend of mine has a subaru 2.5 legacy with snow tires and he still managed to skid and total his car a week and a half ago. while i managed fairly okay in my brother's GS300 (RWD and summer only tires) (max was in the shop). a huge part of winter driving is the driver. and what the hell are you doing in 1st gear, anyway? Even in my auto in just rain I can spin out for a half block if I go above 2000 RPM, and that's with good tires.

the moral of the story is drive right and most of the time you can manage. drive wrong and the hardware doesn't matter much.
I agree. I came to the conclusion that all cars suck in the snow (it's dangerous and the driver plays a big role)
BTW: I think that this post comes up all the time in the winter
Old 12-06-2002, 05:50 PM

I also did fine with my Dunlop Soprt A2's car handles quite well in fact.........ABS works too. (never really tried it)
Old 12-06-2002, 05:59 PM

Go To a large Parking lot that doesnt have any cars near then...
Instructions as followed:

1. Hold Clutch down
2. Move into 1st Gear
3. Rev till 3500-4000 Rpms
4. Let Clutch go
5. Floor Gas
6. Hear A Beast Burn up snow With a Happy Driver- Priceless
Maxi Vs. Snow= No chance for the snow lol
Old 12-06-2002, 06:02 PM

My car works GREAT with Firestone Winterfires.
Old 12-06-2002, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by SMX95
Go To a large Parking lot that doesnt have any cars near then...
Instructions as followed:

1. Hold Clutch down
2. Move into 1st Gear
3. Rev till 3500-4000 Rpms
4. Let Clutch go
5. Floor Gas
6. Hear A Beast Burn up snow With a Happy Driver- Priceless
Maxi Vs. Snow= No chance for the snow lol
'newbs'
Old 12-06-2002, 07:13 PM

With the snow we just got and my aerokit, my car has become a damn snow plow! Roads weren't plowed very well either so I had to drive slow else it was goodbye traction. Even got stuck in my parking spot at school . The best part was how I got it out: Get mad, Dump clutch and smash accelerator to floor in reverse, Watch tach goto redline and hear VI open up, Then finally catch solid ground. Everybody walking by was looking at me cause my car was screaming too .
Old 12-06-2002, 07:22 PM
wat

LOL, dont use bodykits in the winter, it'll pick up snow and possibly rip the thing right off if your going fast enough, plus its too close to the ground and thats where the salt will collect (which means new paint job every spring). MY advice, take it off during snowy times
Old 12-06-2002, 08:05 PM

if the street's empty, i like to brake hard and see if i can control the car....of course i only do this on very wide streets with no parked cars, or in empty parking lots....good to have a little practice i guess....
Old 12-06-2002, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by KMax2988
With the snow we just got and my aerokit, my car has become a damn snow plow!
Yeah, I hear that. We got about 6 inches the other day and I plowed the roads the whole way home. I should ask the town if they will at least pay me for cleaning the roads for them.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:02 AM
Sports Button FTW

i have brand new high performance all season tires so i'm taking th esnow head on wit no problem but i remember other winters, it used to be nasty...
Old 12-15-2002, 10:58 PM

Do you guys recommend high performace all seasons or should i just get a set winter tires?
Old 12-15-2002, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by 98BlaximaSE
Do you guys recommend high performace all seasons or should i just get a set winter tires?
I don't know... I just got my Bridgestone Blizzak's a few weeks ago, and I am almost regretting it. I am starting to fear driving on the freeway, because I am afraid I'm going to burn them up. Going 50 or over, they ROAR against the pavement. And suddenly the snow has dissappeared. I KNEW it was going to happen the day I bought them... spend $700 for a set of winter tires and of course it is not going to snow. Murphy's law.

Haven't really had much of a chance to try them out on the snow yet, so can't really rate them. The tread is gigantic. I'm sure I'll be fine for whatever arctic-like weather comes my way (but remember... I bought the tires, so it's going to be a warm and dry winter )

They say the Blizzak's are going to last me 3 seasons. The way the tires are already looking, I seriously doubt I'll make it past 2. I kind of wish I had just gone with a good set of all-season tires.
Old 12-15-2002, 11:48 PM

question..

What is recommended for my Max in the snow? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by co_maxima98

I don't know... I just got my Bridgestone Blizzak's a few weeks ago, and I am almost regretting it. I am starting to fear driving on the freeway, because I am afraid I'm going to burn them up. Going 50 or over, they ROAR against the pavement. And suddenly the snow has dissappeared. I KNEW it was going to happen the day I bought them... spend $700 for a set of winter tires and of course it is not going to snow. Murphy's law.

Haven't really had much of a chance to try them out on the snow yet, so can't really rate them. The tread is gigantic. I'm sure I'll be fine for whatever arctic-like weather comes my way (but remember... I bought the tires, so it's going to be a warm and dry winter )

They say the Blizzak's are going to last me 3 seasons. The way the tires are already looking, I seriously doubt I'll make it past 2. I kind of wish I had just gone with a good set of all-season tires.
Yeah my friend kinda told me the same thing. Since I live in NJ, snow doesn't really build up that much where I would need snow tires. He said some good all seasons should do just fine. What kinda tires do you think are good?
Old 12-16-2002, 09:39 AM

Yeah my friend kinda told me the same thing. Since I live in NJ, snow doesn't really build up that much where I would need snow tires. He said some good all seasons should do just fine. What kinda tires do you think are good?
Well, everyone will tell you something different. I have always had really good luck with Firestone/Bridgestone tires. On my Altima I had Bridgestone Potenza's. They're rated as an all-season tire, and I really liked them for all conditions. They seemed to do pretty well in the snow and good in the rain on wet asphalt. But I'm sure that nearly every manufacturer has a decent all-weather tire.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:48 AM

I have a set of Blizzaks (WS-15's) with over 15,000 miles on them, mostly highway, and they are holding up great. They roar because the tread pattern, it does not mean they are wearing out.
Blizzaks are only winter tires for the first 55% of the tread, that is something to keep in mind. They are soft, but they are well worth the money, and I would buy them again.

Check out FAQ's on Tire Rack's site: http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/blizzfaqs.html

Originally posted by co_maxima98

Old 12-16-2002, 09:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If your car has problems in the snow, try getting tires more suited for driving in it. Oh and try this too: SLOW THE F*** DOWN!!!
Old 12-16-2002, 10:10 AM

slap on a set of 15's with snow tires and the maxima will do fine
Old 12-16-2002, 11:00 AM

Going isn't the problem, its stopping and controlling. Not only in the snow, my tires still have tread left on them, but whenever i break in the snow i slide for about 3 feet and hear the abs kick in. Also in the rain, if i drive through wet spots, i tend to feel my car hydroplane instead of just riding through it. My tires aren't even bald though.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:01 PM

Going isn't the problem, its stopping and controlling. Not only in the snow, my tires still have tread left on them, but whenever i break in the snow i slide for about 3 feet and hear the abs kick in. Also in the rain, if i drive through wet spots, i tend to feel my car hydroplane instead of just riding through it. My tires aren't even bald though.

you need better tires, pal! it's not necessarily tread left that is an issue; if the compound sucks, or the tread pattern is useless.... What kind of tires are these???
Old 12-16-2002, 01:09 PM

Max Vs. Snow ... Snow wins.

Unless Max gets an LSD, then Max might get disqualified for using performance enhancing equipment.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by Lime

you need better tires, pal! it's not necessarily tread left that is an issue; if the compound sucks, or the tread pattern is useless.... What kind of tires are these???
Continental Touring tires. They're about 2 years old now. They were on the car when I got it used.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:07 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

My Dunlop SP Sport W10's are pretty darn good dry and wet. But they did not fair to well in the snow/ice we've had in the DC area in the past two weeks.

It's all in the tires, though - it's not the Maxima.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:13 PM

My max does fine in the snow. You guys don't know bad until your caught in a snow storm in a 4th gen Z28 or 1995 Supra, each car only saw snow once and ony once...what a handfull they were. Both cars had 245 goodyear GSC tires, not exactly made for winter driving.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:25 PM
Carpe Diem....

My car was great in the snow. Sumitomo HTR+'s
Old 12-16-2002, 08:54 PM

I think the Nokian Hakka 1's kick ***. I have 4 on now. I live in northern NH, and we get a crap load of snow. It's been pretty icy lately and I've had no probs.

I don't have the studded tires. I like the ride to be silent. 215/56/16 on stock 97 SE rims.

Breaking power is what you really want in a winter tire. The Hakka's have a fairly soft tread which aide in breaking. Or if you wanna go fast, they have a high speed rating, I don't remember what it was but it was higher than most winters.

My 2ยข.

-Joe
Old 12-17-2002, 08:19 AM

my bald azz tires vs. snow = see 'ya road!
Old 12-17-2002, 10:58 AM

Continental Touring tires. They're about 2 years old now. They were on the car when I got it used.
Definitely time for you to get new tires.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:44 PM

sprint springs + stillen lip = snowplow

I only drive in the snow when I absolutely have to.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by Black97GLEnj
sprint springs + stillen lip = snowplow

I only drive in the snow when I absolutely have to.
Yeah: All people with a stillen lip 'snow plow' and kit, you don't want it on the maxima.
I will take it off your hands
Old 12-17-2002, 04:26 PM

My Dunlop SP Sport do much better than I thought they would in the snow ice. Nothing is good on ice Everything slides...except spikes. Up here in Maine, we are bred to drive in the snow. The key is to keep the speed way down, use your head and think of what is coming ahead of you. Plan your route accordingly, no big hills or side streets if possible, plan for more than enough time cause the last thing you want to do is rush in bad snow conditions.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by MaxWolf
My Dunlop SP Sport do much better than I thought they would in the snow ice. Nothing is good on ice Everything slides...except spikes. Up here in Maine, we are bred to drive in the snow. The key is to keep the speed way down, use your head and think of what is coming ahead of you. Plan your route accordingly, no big hills or side streets if possible, plan for more than enough time cause the last thing you want to do is rush in bad snow conditions.
5 speed makes it even worse

Quick Reply: Max's vs Snow