4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

somebody help !!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2001, 11:19 AM

last nite i was a little agravated with my girlfriend so i dedcided to take it out on my max. i floored it and began to speed up but to my suprise this car is a total pig. it topped out at 125mph it is a 97 gxe auto. i have had the spedo unplugged and the check engine light came on as soon as i did it but last nite i decided to plug it back in. the check engine light is still on maybe i should rest the ecu. do you guys think this may help i think i rember a link that gave instuctions on doing this if you know please post the site for me. what a let down this car is from my old 94 max se which always topped out over 135..damm i should have never sold that car.
Old 01-01-2001, 12:29 PM

Um, did you mean to say that you had your odometer unplugged? If you had your speedometer unplugged, how would you know how fast you were going?

I don't think you'll find much sympathy here since you did a illegal thing by unplugging the odometer. I mean, how would you like to buy a used car with "30,000" miles when it really has 130,000 miles on it? In either case, reset the ECU and see what happens.

Old 01-01-2001, 12:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you want to get rid of the limeter,

either get a SE ECU from a junkyard or get a JWT ecu and you can go a bit faster.
Old 01-01-2001, 01:53 PM
Guy with the Orange Max

good to know!

I never knew that the SE didn't have a limiter! Very good to know. Ya know ya just learn something new everyday here at Maxima.org!! Yippee.
Old 01-01-2001, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by loup1276
last nite i was a little agravated with my girlfriend so i dedcided to take it out on my max. i floored it and began to speed up but to my suprise this car is a total pig. it topped out at 125mph it is a 97 gxe auto. i have had the spedo unplugged and the check engine light came on as soon as i did it but last nite i decided to plug it back in. the check engine light is still on maybe i should rest the ecu. do you guys think this may help i think i rember a link that gave instuctions on doing this if you know please post the site for me. what a let down this car is from my old 94 max se which always topped out over 135..damm i should have never sold that car.
yes i did have the spedo unplugged and no i am not looking for any symapathy. what i do with my car should be no concearn of yours or anyone elses on this board unless i was gonna sell it to one of you guys which won't happen, i could care less if you did the same to yours, however if you must know i bought the car true milage unknown so it really doesen't matter if the spedo is unplugged i just don't want to look down and see over a 100k. the car is not goverened if it was i belive it would stop at 112-115 mph it is just a little slower than i am used to i did not expect it to be slower than my 94 se, i thought these vq engines were suppose to haul a$$ so far this car has shown me nothing hopefully resting the ecu will help anyone have any directions.
Old 01-01-2001, 07:00 PM

GLE limiter?

Does the GLE have a speed limiter?
Old 01-01-2001, 09:41 PM

GLE with security and convenience package does not have limiter.
Old 01-01-2001, 10:14 PM

Just a little bit of confirmation

I am reporting that the SE does not have a limiter - I have taken the car to 140 on the dot two or three times, and above 130 a few more times. Hell, these snow tires are even T rated (118mph). So much fun.