4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is it bad to have just lowering springs without KYB AGX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 09:44 PM

Is it bad to have just lowering springs without KYB AGX?

I want to lower my max, probobly with Eibachs, but I dont have the money to go all out with KYB AGX'S which is what I plan on eventually doing. I have heard different opinions on just getting the springs without going all out. Some say that the stock shocks cannot take this, some say it can. Anyone have just lowering springs here?(eibachs) Hows the ride?
Thanks,
Dan

p.s.-How do the settings work on the AGX's?
Old 12-15-2002, 10:20 PM

Re: Is it bad to have just lowering springs without KYB AGX?

To adjust KYB you just turn a **** or a screw on the shocks, 1 - 4 on the front and 1 - 8 on the rear (yours maybe different), to adjust stiffness or the ride. I believe its only adjusting the shock dampening (or is it rebound) Im not sure.

As for the stock shocks with Eibachs, you will shorten the life of the shock since it was not designed to operate at a lower ride height than stock. (decreased shock travel)

KYB actually inserts several warnings about ride height with the AGX line. I have gone through a few sets of AGX's with Cattmans coilovers, from lowering the car too much. Even worse with the Gen IIs. (way more then 2"). The set I have on now is dead.

You should be ok with the Eibachs/AGX as it doesn't lower the car as much. (about 2" i think.)
Old 12-16-2002, 05:48 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You can couple Eibachs with KYB GR2 if you don't need adjustability. There's a pretty firm strut.

I definately would not use stock components with Eibachs. There a pretty stiff spring and the valving on the OEM components is no where near tight enough to control Eibachs.

It's not a matter of the struts failing, but your handling will get worse over not so smooth road surfaces. Thats due to the fact that the OEM struts cannot control the spring force. You'll get tossed around a lot more. Ideally you want the strut to absorbe the impact then immediately firm up to stop the spring from ossolating(sp?). The valving on your OEM components can't do that. Toss some ware and tare already on them into the picture and you got a setup that really doesn't benifit you.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Is it bad to have just lowering springs without KYB AGX?

Originally posted by DanSE
I want to lower my max, probobly with Eibachs, but I dont have the money to go all out with KYB AGX'S which is what I plan on eventually doing. I have heard different opinions on just getting the springs without going all out. Some say that the stock shocks cannot take this, some say it can. Anyone have just lowering springs here?(eibachs) Hows the ride?
Thanks,
Dan

p.s.-How do the settings work on the AGX's?

If your car does not have some where around 120K , you should be good. I drove with intrax and stock shocks for like a year and a half in a pothole infested city, my shocks were still fine. Is just a mushy ride and thats it. I know quite a few old dogs here that are on sprint springs and stock shocks and been driving around like that for a while.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If your car has over 75k miles on it, I would not recommend running on stock struts and shocks. Especially the rear shocks; they do not hold up. My car had about 65k miles on it when one of the rear shocks blew.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:30 AM

I've had on Eibachs now for about ten months. The rear drop is 1.3" and 1.5" for the front (pro kit that is). I've had no problems whatsoever with the ride quality on my stock shocks and I now have 121k miles. I am getting KYB AGX's today, but not because of the ride, I just want it to handle a little better.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:54 AM

Thanks a lot for the replys everyone. I guess I am going to save up and buy them together and install them together, I need to get my frankencar first anyway.
Lime: sorry about your car, what set up do you have on now?
Thanks,
Dan
Old 12-16-2002, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by DanSE
Thanks a lot for the replys everyone. I guess I am going to save up and buy them together and install them together, I need to get my frankencar first anyway.
Lime: sorry about your car, what set up do you have on now?
Thanks,
Dan
lime has B&G's with AGX struts
Old 12-16-2002, 10:33 AM

I had H&R springs for about two years (roughly 25k miles?) before I got my AGXes. They were fine for me, but if you are going to get both, might as well get em done at the same time, to either save money on install if you pay a shop to do it, or save time yourself instead of undoing everything twice. Besides, if a stock strut blows, you're not going to want to drive on it for too long, then you'd have to wait until you order and get your AGXes, etc... If you don't got the money for both, save up until you can afford both.