4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Budget Exhaust Test Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 06:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Budget Exhaust Test Pipe

I have a 1995 SE 5-spd. I am planning on getting the Budget y-pipe, b-pipe and test pipe.

Now if I got the test pipe, Jeff at Budget said that my check engine light would be on all the time and the ECU might start doing crazy things like dumping more fuel which is obvsiously undesirable. Would an Apex'i SAFC be a solution to that?

Does anyone know if anyone on the forum has a test pipe (eliminated the catalytic converter) as part of their exhaust? A search didn't really return anything.

Thanks for any help and input.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:56 AM

Re: Budget Exhaust Test Pipe

Originally posted by speedemn
I have a 1995 SE 5-spd. I am planning on getting the Budget y-pipe, b-pipe and test pipe.

Now if I got the test pipe, Jeff at Budget said that my check engine light would be on all the time and the ECU might start doing crazy things like dumping more fuel which is obvsiously undesirable. Would an Apex'i SAFC be a solution to that?

Does anyone know if anyone on the forum has a test pipe (eliminated the catalytic converter) as part of their exhaust? A search didn't really return anything.

Thanks for any help and input.
bump. (doesn't anyone here have a test pipe installed on their car? - prefferably a 95-96)
Old 12-19-2002, 05:03 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

The CEL would come one because the ECU would assume that the catalytic converter had totally failed. It would not, however, alter the air/fuel ratio. The O2 sensor located downstream of the cat is only used to monitor catalyst function.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg
The CEL would come one because the ECU would assume that the catalytic converter had totally failed. It would not, however, alter the air/fuel ratio. The O2 sensor located downstream of the cat is only used to monitor catalyst function.
So an SAFC would be useless to try to correct that problem?

Is there a way to let the ECU learn that its okay that there is no cat or is there no way to get around it... ie are 95-96 guys doomed to not be able to use a test pipe?
Old 12-19-2002, 05:32 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Just because the CEL would be on doesnt mean you cant use one. It just means the light would be on...
Old 12-19-2002, 06:42 AM

Just because the CEL would be on doesnt mean you cant use one. It just means the light would be on...
Well that means that something obviously isn't right. I don't want my ECU to be dumping more fuel to try to correct this problem. Is there a proper fix for it if the SAFC will not be able to do anything here?
Old 12-19-2002, 06:57 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I don't want my ECU to be dumping more fuel to try to correct this problem.

It wont be. That's what I was saying in my first reply.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:17 AM

It wont be. That's what I was saying in my first reply.
So you're saying that the check engine light in that case is not causing any harm even in the long run?
Old 12-19-2002, 07:21 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

So you're saying that the check engine light in that case is not causing any harm even in the long run?
Correct, the Check Engine Light is only on because the ECU thinks the catalyst has failed. That's all, nothing else will be affected. The ECU uses the front two O2 sensors to monitor the air/fuel ratio.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:28 AM

Correct, the Check Engine Light is only on because the ECU thinks the catalyst has failed. That's all, nothing else will be affected. The ECU uses the front two O2 sensors to monitor the air/fuel ratio.
Hmmm you sure? I'm still a little unsure about that. If there is no negative effect on anything then is there a way to reset that light if it does come on?
Old 12-19-2002, 07:35 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Listen to the man!! Yes, you can reset your ECU and it should clear your codes, although it may come back.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:37 AM

You can reset the check engine light with a screwdriver, but it'll come back on probably within a few miles of driving since your cat is still missing...
Old 12-19-2002, 07:45 AM

Maybe this guy doesn't know what a cat actually does.
The reason the cat is there is to lower bad emissions coming out of your car, so if you replace with a piece that doesn't do that then you are driving an illegal car that is going to have a check engine light on because you are letting poisonous gasses out of you car. This has nothing to do with getting more or less fuel. So you worrying about the engine dumping more fuel in the car is irrelevant.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:49 AM

Think of CEL code 0707 as a "Your Cat's busted dude" code rather than a "Dude, your sensor's dead".

The CEL for the rear sensor comes on when the signal is out of spec. Since your cat will be gone, then the signal will be out of spec. You can reset the ECU, but if the cat is still missing, then the light will come on again pretty soon.

You keep saying "that means that something obviously isn't right". Well, what's not right is that your cat is missing. So you have two choices, live with the CEL or put the cat back in. The cat doesn't kill that much power anyway. You can always get a Random Tech Hi-flo cat too for about $70 to take care of restriction and to avoid the CEL.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:57 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally posted by MacGyver265
Think of CEL code 0707 as a "Your Cat's busted dude" code rather than a "Dude, your sensor's dead".

The CEL for the rear sensor comes on when the signal is out of spec. Since your cat will be gone, then the signal will be out of spec. You can reset the ECU, but if the cat is still missing, then the light will come on again pretty soon.

You keep saying "that means that something obviously isn't right". Well, what's not right is that your cat is missing. So you have two choices, live with the CEL or put the cat back in. The cat doesn't kill that much power anyway. You can always get a Random Tech Hi-flo cat too for about $70 to take care of restriction and to avoid the CEL.
Where can you get a RT cat for $70?????
Old 12-19-2002, 08:21 AM

Woop, my bad, at least double that figure and then some.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:23 AM

After talking to Jeff at Budget Exhaust, he said that buying their hi-flow cat will not give me any noticeable gains over stock. However the test pipe (no cat) will give quite a noticeable gain over the stock cat (hypothesis is for about a 5HP gain here).

However he did say that his customers buy the test pipe only for track use (obviously he has to stand on the legal side of the line) since you don't care if your check engine light is on for a few runs down a track.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:24 AM

Ok heres the deal....I have a test pipe from a 97 on my 95 so it has no place for the 02 sensor. I simply unplugged mine. After about half a day of driving your cel will come on to tell you that the 02 sensor is no longer showing a voltage reading. This causes no problem with anything. Just a warning. Now you might want to chek your codes anyway just in case you are throwing some other code such as the KS code. All resetting it will do is turn of the light until you complete another drive cycle, then it will turn back on. If you don't like the light, take the bulb out.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by ladeesman
Ok heres the deal....I have a test pipe from a 97 on my 95 so it has no place for the 02 sensor. I simply unplugged mine. After about half a day of driving your cel will come on to tell you that the 02 sensor is no longer showing a voltage reading. This causes no problem with anything. Just a warning. Now you might want to chek your codes anyway just in case you are throwing some other code such as the KS code. All resetting it will do is turn of the light until you complete another drive cycle, then it will turn back on. If you don't like the light, take the bulb out.
Is there a better way to diagnose my check engine light code, other than payign the dealer $85 to do it?

I tried the search and didn't come up with anything... I appologize if I am using the wrong search criteria... or maybe I am just missing it.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:43 AM

Is there a better way to diagnose my check engine light code, other than payign the dealer $85 to do it?

I tried the search and didn't come up with anything... I appologize if I am using the wrong search criteria... or maybe I am just missing it.
Wow, you're kidding right? Look at the top of the 4th Gen Forum. There is a thread that has two links that tells you how to retrieve the codes and convert the codes to what they mean.

You couldn't have done a search, you would have found it.

Any way, here's the link to the thread, its two threads underneath the FAQ: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=104931
Old 12-19-2002, 08:47 AM

Wow, you're kidding right? Look at the top of the 4th Gen Forum. There is a thread that has two links that tells you how to retrieve the codes and convert the codes to what they mean.

You couldn't have done a search, you would have found it.

Any way, here's the link to the thread, its two threads underneath the FAQ: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=104931
Okay I'm on crack... I don't see how I missed that! haha Thank you.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:50 AM

No problem
Old 12-19-2002, 08:53 AM

In my understanding the o2 sensor is just like an overly complicated resistor. The computer is looking for a specific voltage drop over the sensor. I'm thinking you could just disconnect your o2 sensor and add in a resister to make the computer happy and you're good to go. I'm no electrical engineer, but figuring out what resistor is a piece of cake for an EE.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by MAXimumHP
In my understanding the o2 sensor is just like an overly complicated resistor. The computer is looking for a specific voltage drop over the sensor. I'm thinking you could just disconnect your o2 sensor and add in a resister to make the computer happy and you're good to go. I'm no electrical engineer, but figuring out what resistor is a piece of cake for an EE.
Sorry MAXHP - An O2 sensor is not like a resistor at all. When hydrocarbons hit the platinum electrode they produce a voltage in the sensor. This is what the ECU is detecting, a voltage, not a voltage drop. Not only is it a voltage, but its an oscillating voltage (the frequency changes with respect to engine speed also). The ECU recognizes O2 sensor failure when the oscillation amplitude is not large enough, indicating a "tired" sensor. When the entire voltage signal shifts upwards, it indicates a rich mixture, when the entire signal shifts down it indicates a lean mixture. The ECU compensates with leaning and enrichening the mixture respectively, but only for the Front O2 sensors and not the one after the cat.

Bottom line, a resistor won't do anything and the ECU will still light up the CEL.

In order to circumvent the O2 sensor to "fool" the ECU, you would need a signal generator that oscillates with respect to engine speed with the proper amplitude and offset. Way more trouble than its worth, although it could be done.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:50 AM

wow, no wonder they cost so much. Thanks for the info
Old 12-28-2002, 10:53 AM

Sorry MAXHP - An O2 sensor is not like a resistor at all. When hydrocarbons hit the platinum electrode they produce a voltage in the sensor. This is what the ECU is detecting, a voltage, not a voltage drop. Not only is it a voltage, but its an oscillating voltage (the frequency changes with respect to engine speed also). The ECU recognizes O2 sensor failure when the oscillation amplitude is not large enough, indicating a "tired" sensor. When the entire voltage signal shifts upwards, it indicates a rich mixture, when the entire signal shifts down it indicates a lean mixture. The ECU compensates with leaning and enrichening the mixture respectively, but only for the Front O2 sensors and not the one after the cat.

Bottom line, a resistor won't do anything and the ECU will still light up the CEL.

In order to circumvent the O2 sensor to "fool" the ECU, you would need a signal generator that oscillates with respect to engine speed with the proper amplitude and offset. Way more trouble than its worth, although it could be done.
Could I read the ohms at running temp given off with a cat on and then add a resitor to replace the rear O2 sensor and it could give that desired signal?

That way it would turn off the CEL for the cat not being there but the CEL would function normally for any other problems if they do arise... ?
Old 12-28-2002, 07:54 PM

The guy at budget exhaust also forgot to tell you that not only will you mess up the o2 sensor, but you will go to special little section of hell designated to people who excessively pollute the air for a gratuitious hp gain.

enjoy!

david
Old 12-28-2002, 09:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

how muck horsepower do test pipes give our maximas? Do you guys feel they are worth the money for the gain?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 12-29-2002, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by 95CustomMaxima
how muck horsepower do test pipes give our maximas? Do you guys feel they are worth the money for the gain?

Thanks,
Nick
From what Budget told me, about 3-5HP ballpark on an NA car and huge gains on a boosted car. Its a small, worthwhile investment for a bit more power. If you think about it, a b-pipe costs about 4-5x that and adds about the same amount of power. So test pipe I'd say is worth it.

The CEL is for the rear O2 sensor which ONLY monitors whether or not the cat is functioning. There are no other side effects from what I understand. I am trying to figure out a way to make the CEL go away and learn that it is okay that the cat is not there, in case it does appear.

I heard that I could read the ohms at running temp given off with a cat on and then add a resitor to replace the rear O2 sensor and it could give that desired signal. That way it would turn off the CEL for the cat not being there but the CEL would function normally for any other problems if they do arise.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:59 AM

Ok i only skimmed the posts cause i've already answered this in another post. I have had a test pipe on my maxima since August and i have yet to see a cel light (at least from the cat.) I have a 95 se automagic and its doing fine. No extra fuel being dumped, gas milage actually went up about 1-2 miles per gallon since i've done it actually. As far as value and horsepower, i haven't dyno'd it yet but i'd say somewhere between worthless and nil. I didn't feel ANY performance gains and now since i'm going with a a custom 3" all the way back in prep. of getting turbo'd i turns out to be pretty worthless. BUT if anyone wants mine when i do get my piping i'll sell it for pennies =).
Old 12-29-2002, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by TonyGotSkilz
Ok i only skimmed the posts cause i've already answered this in another post. I have had a test pipe on my maxima since August and i have yet to see a cel light (at least from the cat.) I have a 95 se automagic and its doing fine. No extra fuel being dumped, gas milage actually went up about 1-2 miles per gallon since i've done it actually. As far as value and horsepower, i haven't dyno'd it yet but i'd say somewhere between worthless and nil. I didn't feel ANY performance gains and now since i'm going with a a custom 3" all the way back in prep. of getting turbo'd i turns out to be pretty worthless. BUT if anyone wants mine when i do get my piping i'll sell it for pennies =).
Is your test pipe from Budget for your 95? Does it have the hole for the O2 sensor?
Old 12-29-2002, 04:38 PM

No and no, my test pipe has no hole, and to be honest i didn't see an o2 sensor in that area at all, you ppl sure that isn't only with 97's and up? It was just a straight pipe with no hole and 2 flanges
Old 12-29-2002, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by Dstyle
The guy at budget exhaust also forgot to tell you that not only will you mess up the o2 sensor, but you will go to special little section of hell designated to people who excessively pollute the air for a gratuitious hp gain.

enjoy!

david
I don't smoke, do drugs or use hairspray... get off my case and chase those everyday (every hour) polluters. They got a line bypass to hell, if I get a test pipe!
Old 12-29-2002, 05:49 PM
Banned

I ran with a test pipe for 6 months, so the CEL comes on no big deal. It does not dump extra fuel or any other effects. My O2 was not on the CAT though I have a 97.

My test pipe is a cat with a 2 1/2" stainless pipe running down the centre. Yes it does help too, just not for polution.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:45 PM

just say no

Im proud that you dont do drugs or hair spray (???) but the point is that doing drugs etc. is something that only hurts you and noone else. and to be honest, noone but maybe your mom cares about that. however when you put on a test pipe we all have to breath your emmission, even you mom...sux for her. and me. if you dont think emmisions are that bad, and you like them so much, i have an idea for you. turn our car on. go around back get down on your knees and suck on your tail pipe. maybe you already have experience up this alley. sure, i know, that extra 3-5 hp gain is nice. and we'd all like to have it. even me. but the thing is we have to be margianly responsable. as much as id like to be walkin down the street someday and go "hey theres speedemn with his new test pipe...'hey speedemn killer 3-5 hp gain dude!!" I just wont be able to have that same enthusiasim when i know that i have to breath you leftover unburnt emmision when you turn the corner and are gone. catch my drift?

peace

david

I don't smoke, do drugs or use hairspray... get off my case and chase those everyday (every hour) polluters. They got a line bypass to hell, if I get a test pipe!
Old 12-29-2002, 10:00 PM

are the prices on budgets web page in candan dollors ?
Old 12-29-2002, 10:19 PM

Re: just say no

Originally posted by Dstyle
peace

david

Chill newbie... I was kidding. I haven't even decided if I'm getting it yet. 3-5HP isn't a big deal on a Maxima. If anything it would be for track use only as Jeff at Budget suggested (probably has to, for legal reasons)... or I might run it all the time if my CEL doesn't come on with it on and in the off-chance that it does not stink. Who knows... a lot of org members have that and more on their car.

As for hairspray, that burns a hole in the ozone too does it not?
Old 12-30-2002, 09:39 AM

dont worry about it, i just like to give people hell. if nothing, but for my own entertainment. there are a couple guys in my house (frat)that have test pipes who i harass. but i still think its bad to do if you are using the car as a daily driver. oh well....
Old 12-30-2002, 10:01 AM

my friend have a test pipe in his 96 maxima and no cel
Old 12-30-2002, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by funmax
my friend have a test pipe in his 96 maxima and no cel
Do you know where he got his test pipe from and whether or not it has a hole for the O2 sensor on it?

Quick Reply: Budget Exhaust Test Pipe