4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My tan interior guys, wood dash kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 11:57 PM

My tan interior guys, wood dash kit

ok, so now I want a more luxury look for the interor so Im thinking about a wood dash kit. anyone have reccomendations? pics? brands? Im looking for a dark brown wood grain color that will flow well with my interior color. heres a pic of what it looks like now. Im trying to get a nice blend of luxury/sporty theme going on.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:12 AM

Re: My tan interior guys, wood dash kit

Originally posted by Nismo
ok, so now I want a more luxury look for the interor so Im thinking about a wood dash kit. anyone have reccomendations? pics? brands? Im looking for a dark brown wood grain color that will flow well with my interior color. heres a pic of what it looks like now. Im trying to get a nice blend of luxury/sporty theme going on.
looks nice already.....
Old 12-24-2002, 12:14 AM

Re: Re: My tan interior guys, wood dash kit

Originally posted by XxJ822xX

looks nice already.....
humm, so kit or no kit?
Old 12-24-2002, 05:04 AM

I think I'll be hard to be sporty with a tan and wood interior. You'll probably have to change your steering wheel color, shifter, ebrakes, and gauges to match with the new wood color. Wood will definitely make the interior more luxurious and less sporty. You'll have to decide which scheme you prefer.
You can look at other makes (BMW, Lexus, Audi, etc.) to get more ideas.
Old 12-24-2002, 05:40 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Leave it alone bro. Also, not a fan of the steering wheel cover.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:28 AM
I'm so hood

I like the way my kit looks on my stock tan interior, but you be the judge on yours...

it's the aftermarket kit that the dealerships offered at time of sale.

pics are at http://community.webshots.com/user/blizzG2 , can't directly link off Webshots as far as I know.
Old 12-24-2002, 07:35 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

A few thoughts as a PB max owner:

1, those rims are the HEAT. I am a HUGE fan of everything about them: Color, size, design. They compliment a tastefully done kit, as well. For PB maxes, yours is in the top 5.

2, I like the black trim if you are going for sporty. You have some type of pedal kit (I think) and black and chrome/aluminum e-brake and shifter handles- leave the black in there to create a "flow" to the dash area. I have a GLE and actually considered looking for a black trim setup to swap into mine, but I do not want to lose my pop-out drawer. As a woodgrain owner, I can tell you that it severely limits your ability to spruse up the interior, because every add-on looks taked on or just plain tacky. It all looks like it was an afterthought. I cannot go w/ a gauge cluster overlay of any sort. You, on the other hand, could go w/ chrome or aluminum (whatever matches your shifter/ e-brake) w/o clashing. And while my only option to add something to my gauges is to use gauge rings, yo ucan do rings OR a full overlay.

Even my OEM SE gauges look SLIGHTLY out of place with the leather and woodgrain. (BTW- that woudl be my next recommendation to you- SE gauge faces.)

3, While everything in your car is tastefully done, the door inserts don't quite match. If I was going to change something, I would think more in that direction. Everything else looks so GOOD that the door inserts stand out.

Well, all of that said, things look good. But I would keep the black, add gauge bezels or rings and SE (or other white gauge faces) and then work on th door inserts. Even a contrasting color like black leather would look better, and add to the "sporty" feel that yuo are angling for, while still being luxury. ALso, while you are at it, maybe replace the off-color steering wheel wrap w/ blac as well.

Sorry if I hurt your maxima's feelings. Mine looks doo-doo stock...
Old 12-25-2002, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by phenryiv1
A few thoughts as a PB max owner:

1, those rims are the HEAT. I am a HUGE fan of everything about them: Color, size, design. They compliment a tastefully done kit, as well. For PB maxes, yours is in the top 5.

2, I like the black trim if you are going for sporty. You have some type of pedal kit (I think) and black and chrome/aluminum e-brake and shifter handles- leave the black in there to create a "flow" to the dash area. I have a GLE and actually considered looking for a black trim setup to swap into mine, but I do not want to lose my pop-out drawer. As a woodgrain owner, I can tell you that it severely limits your ability to spruse up the interior, because every add-on looks taked on or just plain tacky. It all looks like it was an afterthought. I cannot go w/ a gauge cluster overlay of any sort. You, on the other hand, could go w/ chrome or aluminum (whatever matches your shifter/ e-brake) w/o clashing. And while my only option to add something to my gauges is to use gauge rings, yo ucan do rings OR a full overlay.

Even my OEM SE gauges look SLIGHTLY out of place with the leather and woodgrain. (BTW- that woudl be my next recommendation to you- SE gauge faces.)

3, While everything in your car is tastefully done, the door inserts don't quite match. If I was going to change something, I would think more in that direction. Everything else looks so GOOD that the door inserts stand out.

Well, all of that said, things look good. But I would keep the black, add gauge bezels or rings and SE (or other white gauge faces) and then work on th door inserts. Even a contrasting color like black leather would look better, and add to the "sporty" feel that yuo are angling for, while still being luxury. ALso, while you are at it, maybe replace the off-color steering wheel wrap w/ blac as well.

Sorry if I hurt your maxima's feelings. Mine looks doo-doo stock...
Thanks guys I guess Ill hold off getting a kit for awhile until I decide what I want to do with the interior
Old 12-25-2002, 03:29 AM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

Thanks guys I guess Ill hold off getting a kit for awhile until I decide what I want to do with the interior

Old 12-25-2002, 05:04 AM

Hey Nismo,

How about the aluminum dash kit/guage bezel? It makes it look more sporty IMO, and I get compliments all the time from it
Old 12-25-2002, 06:45 AM

go for a wood kit...gives luxury inside w/ sporty outside (and driving)...the way i like it (like bmw)

just my 2 cents
Old 12-25-2002, 10:51 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

This is what I would do. It also happens to be how my interior looks.

You have the same tan leather that I have.
Get door panels from an I30 w/ tan interior. They are much nicer. Change all your interior door locks to chrome. Chrome gauge rings. Chrome shifter. Wood dash kit.

Looks classy with the leather and wood. A splash of spory with the chrome accents.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:39 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

I like your body kit just how it is- just the mild sporty look w/o all kinds of fluffy rice. Your car is meaty as it is...I would not water it down with kits that might not look good in PB. That is the drawback to PB, in my opinion. The red/black/white maxs can get away w/ more wild and exotic kits, but we have to remain pretty vanilla. Again, this is my opinion, but if my exterior looked like yours, I would never touch a thing.
Old 12-26-2002, 12:20 PM
www.autotalk.com

IMO I30 wood trim blows every other wood kit in the market AWAY. Want a classy touch? GO with I30! I can sell you some window switch pieces too :-)

and ALUMUNIUM dash kit on TAN is a BIG NO! Cant get more ugly.

Old 12-26-2002, 12:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey Law who makes your steeringwheel wrap? Also what size is it? IMO aluminium looks good on tan, but but a dark burled wood looks better.
-Cyrus
Old 12-26-2002, 01:22 PM

Wood looks pretty good. Im not a big fan of the tan interior to start with, but it looks good. Would Carbon Fiber kit/tan leather look good?
Old 12-26-2002, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by BBaker025
Would Carbon Fiber kit/tan leather look good?
I have a black chrome/carbon fiber shift ****, pedals and it looks pretty good agianst my tan interior. I'm going to get a Stillen CF dash kit, and I think it will look pretty good.
Old 12-26-2002, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus
Hey Law who makes your steeringwheel wrap? Also what size is it? IMO aluminium looks good on tan, but but a dark burled wood looks better.
-Cyrus
Amazingly I bought it from pepboys. Im not too shure of the size but I think I got the extra wide one. Its real leather and seems to be really good quality and I think I paid $16 for it. I had it on for almost 2 years now with no signs of wearing or fading. It feels really good but now Im looking for a tan color one but pepboys only had my grey one, black, and a really weird brown that doesnt match.
Old 12-26-2002, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Max4Speed
IMO I30 wood trim blows every other wood kit in the market AWAY. Want a classy touch? GO with I30! I can sell you some window switch pieces too :-)

and ALUMUNIUM dash kit on TAN is a BIG NO! Cant get more ugly.

That I30 kit looks nice. Do they make brown color like the wood on your shift ****?
Old 12-26-2002, 06:44 PM
www.autotalk.com

That I30 kit looks nice. Do they make brown color like the wood on your shift ****?
They sure dont.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:07 AM

i have a PB max and i have a walnut burl dash kit made by joshua tree. i get a lot of compliments and it's held up well over the last year and a half. IMO, the wood dash kit adds good contrast to the interior and doesn't look cheap. in fact, i've seen the I30 interior and i like the JT look much better. i'll post some pics later so you can see what i mean.

in the meantime, you could do a search on joshua tree and see what feedback you can find on the board about this kits.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:30 PM

if you were to get a wood dash kit you could look into getting a wood cover for your steering wheel as well. There is a member here who had one earlier but i am not sure who it was. it looked great with the wood dash kit.

-payne-
Old 12-27-2002, 03:48 PM
I need a truck

wood dash kit + tan interior + "wood" steering wheel cover = interior woth $1,000,000
Old 12-28-2002, 11:00 AM

here's a shot of the JT walnut burl kit.

Old 12-28-2002, 11:07 AM

here's a close up of the center console. nice eh?

the I30 kit in the above picture didn't have any trim on the vents.

Old 12-28-2002, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by j_bryan

here's a close up of the center console.

That looks GREAT! If you don't mind my asking, how much did that run ya?
Thanks,
-Cyrus
Old 12-28-2002, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Vyrus

That looks GREAT! If you don't mind my asking, how much did that run ya?
Thanks,
-Cyrus
thanks. the walnut burl kit is kinda costly, i paid $196. but that was in july 2001 and the prices may have changed since then. check out the joshua tree website for the latest prices. they also sell wood shift *****, but the sales person told me that he couldn't guarantee a 100% match to the walnut burl kit so I never bought the shift ****.
Old 12-28-2002, 03:21 PM
Handsome

Any body thought of two tone

Anybody tried just using the top of the dash (including stearing wheel/ gauges, center vents and passenger airbag) of a black interior max, and leaving the lower half tan. I got the idea after I saw an M5's interior. Don't know if it would work or look good, just curious?
Old 12-28-2002, 05:28 PM
nnn
Newbie - Just Registered

Dash Trim Kits

Try www.autoaccessorystore.com

Look at installed kits at:
http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/ho...?dir=installed
Old 01-14-2003, 10:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Does anyone have some pics of a tanned interior with Aluminum? Im kinda leaning toward getting a kit...
Old 02-16-2003, 10:27 PM

Just add chrome gauge rings and it will look classier inside. I have same color interior, but a '97 SE with different style door panels. (You might want to change yours or add padding under them if possible.

I bought a wood kit, but didn't like it so I never installed it. The chrome rings I put in did the trick-classed it up a lot from drivers point of view. An OEM wood kit would be good though.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by Bgohan
Just add chrome gauge rings and it will look classier inside. I have same color interior, but a '97 SE with different style door panels. (You might want to change yours or add padding under them if possible.

I bought a wood kit, but didn't like it so I never installed it. The chrome rings I put in did the trick-classed it up a lot from drivers point of view. An OEM wood kit would be good though.
do you still have that uninstalled kit?
Old 02-17-2003, 08:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It's not installed yet, but I have a Joshua Tree dash kit in Medium Italian Burl, and it matches the wood/chrome Levoc shift **** and e-brake handle cover I have.

Alex