4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

which should i do first

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 12:30 PM
Paonessa

which should i do first

i got about a grand to spend on my max. All i have done now is a cat-back stillen exhaust and an intake with carbon fiber piping. which should i do next. 1)cams and an ecu or 2)clutch and flywheel.
i'm gonna do all of these mods at some point. just wondering which would be most beneficial to do fist

Old 12-24-2002, 12:34 PM

carbon fiber intake pipe?! wow - how much did that run you............ get a Y pipe and the stillin body kit
Old 12-24-2002, 12:36 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Re: which should i do first

Originally posted by Paonessa
i got about a grand to spend on my max. All i have done now is a cat-back stillen exhaust and an intake with carbon fiber piping. which should i do next. 1)cams and an ecu or 2)clutch and flywheel.
i'm gonna do all of these mods at some point. just wondering which would be most beneficial to do fist
Ecu.....cams are 1100 or so....

Clutch.....you really dont need an upgraded one till you add major power..... (big N20 shot, turbo or sc)-----thats where the cams would benifit as well
Old 12-24-2002, 12:50 PM
Paonessa

hey 95 i got the same car as you(very nice) but i got an se (5spd) with all the gle options. i like the black emerald paint.

Anyway Weaopn-R sells carbon fiber intake piping. they said it's less heat conducive so the air remains cooler. i don't know if i believe them. it's the only intake i've had in this car so there's no way to make a comparison.

So, aaron what do you think i should do then?
cams and ecu?

Old 12-24-2002, 01:23 PM
JsL

Do neither...A ypipe is a must have if you are modding your car. I suggest a Variable Intake also. A ypipe and VI will give you the most gains for the money. Cams and ECU are more like last mods you do to your car because there is nothing else to do.
Old 12-24-2002, 01:30 PM
Langley AFB Sux

hey 95 i got the same car as you(very nice) but i got an se (5spd) with all the gle options. i like the black emerald paint.

Anyway Weaopn-R sells carbon fiber intake piping. they said it's less heat conducive so the air remains cooler. i don't know if i believe them. it's the only intake i've had in this car so there's no way to make a comparison.

So, aaron what do you think i should do then?
cams and ecu?
Im with JsL..... get the ypipe first.....your stillen catback will like that. Then maybe the ecu.......

I dont have a VI but it seems like a good mod too....power all across the powerband.....really excells past 5k or so
Old 12-24-2002, 02:59 PM

Re: which should i do first

ur already 5spd, forget speed for now. Go for springs, struts, shocks, RSB, FSTB, and if you got some cash left over y pipe. Or then there are rims, nothing will make ur car look better
Old 12-24-2002, 07:43 PM
Paonessa

Re: Re: which should i do first

Originally posted by FameMax

ur already 5spd, forget speed for now. Go for springs, struts, shocks, RSB, FSTB, and if you got some cash left over y pipe. Or then there are rims, nothing will make ur car look better
i got the fstb, i'm gonna skip the rstb and just get the sway bars
how much am i looking at for springs shocks and struts
like koni or something nice

Old 12-24-2002, 07:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: which should i do first

i got the fstb, i'm gonna skip the rstb and just get the sway bars
how much am i looking at for springs shocks and struts
like koni or something nice
KYB AGX - $350
Sprints - $150
FSB bushings - $30
RSB - $130
TOTAL: $660 and a car that handles like it's on rails.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:50 PM

My philosophy is that power is not really useful until it can be controlled. So my $0.02 worth is (a) springs/shocks (with wheel alignment) (b) Budget y-pipe & (c) intake.

Check out www.motorvate.ca to see hp/tq curves for pre/post y-pipe install. Budget's pipe is a great deal.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:52 PM

springs, struts, y pipe.

by my count cams + ecu is 1800 or more plus unless you are really handy, the $ for the work. so your grand doesnt cover that
Old 12-24-2002, 09:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Where are good places to pick up Y-pipes at good prices??

Or is it something that more people get custom made?
Old 12-24-2002, 09:21 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp
Where are good places to pick up Y-pipes at good prices??

Or is it something that more people get custom made?
Budget Exhaust.... 160ish shipped.....
Old 12-24-2002, 09:23 PM

www.stillen.com sells a stillen y

www.cattman.com, www.custommaxima.com sell the cattman y

i dont know where to get the budget or ws y's but im sure someone will reply with those sites.
Old 12-25-2002, 09:21 AM
Paonessa

How hard is it to install a y pipe, will i need a lift? will i be able to go to meineke or somewhere if i have to? does anyoneone know the legality of Y pipes in NY? i'll get one either way i just wanna know if i should find a friend who can help first.