4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help...My Service Engine Soon light!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 09:11 PM

Help...My Service Engine Soon light!

When I was driving my 98 SE back from the auctions (I purchased the car from a dealer auction, friend got it for me), I noticed that about halfway the Service Engine light came on. After plugging in some fuel system cleaner, and running it a little, the light went away. But now it's back again. I've read the threads about checking the ECU and junk, but I'm not car savvy enough to do that. Do you guys think I should just go to the dealer and have them check it out?
Old 12-26-2002, 09:15 PM

Whats so car savvy about turning one screw to the left and to the right a couple times? Give it a try, it really isn't that hard.

And if you really really don't think you are capable of this, then go to your local autozone and get them to run the codes for free. But please don't give someone money to do this!
Old 12-26-2002, 09:18 PM

Thanks. I know it's not much work, but I'm just a teenager who's really lazy and affraid to screw with his car. I'll leave it to the professional big boys.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well im a teenager that has hooked up my car for three years. Dont say that just cause your a teenager you cant turn a screw. Or even run the codes yourself. Its a stickie in the 4th gen section.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by Juki5536
Thanks. I know it's not much work, but I'm just a teenager who's really lazy and affraid to screw with his car. I'll leave it to the professional big boys.
Then why are you asking if you already know what you are going to do?

Old 12-26-2002, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by gotmaxwiltravel

Then why are you asking if you already know what you are going to do?

Ouch...
Hey Juki i had my max since i was 17,(18 now)
trust me you dont want to go to the "big boys" every time you run into a problem, unless they are super big or you dont have the tools for, but i assume most people would have a screw driver.

The least you can do is get the codes to see whats wrong then decide if you want to pay someone to fix it or not.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:35 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by Juki5536
Don't take this the wrong way, but:

You are in for a long life of getting screwed. You will pay huge prices to fix tiny thing that you can take care of yourself with little to no money and some time.

If you plan to go to a "professional" then you wont find much help from Maxima.org

I can see it now, we are going to get lots of posts from you like:

"I want to add an intake, but my mechanic said it will make my engine explode"

"I want to lower my car, but a buddy of mine told me that it would cause my wheels to catch fire"

Etc, etc, etc...
Old 12-27-2002, 05:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mzmtg

Don't take this the wrong way, but:

You are in for a long life of getting screwed. You will pay huge prices to fix tiny thing that you can take care of yourself with little to no money and some time.

If you plan to go to a "professional" then you wont find much help from Maxima.org

I can see it now, we are going to get lots of posts from you like:

"I want to add an intake, but my mechanic said it will make my engine explode"

"I want to lower my car, but a buddy of mine told me that it would cause my wheels to catch fire"

Etc, etc, etc...
Ben!

It's true; if you're not willing to take a little responsibility for the car to do things that are very easy, you're going to get screwed AND you're probably going to mistreat the car.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:21 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by Lime
It's true; if you're not willing to take a little responsibility for the car to do things that are very easy, you're going to get screwed AND you're probably going to mistreat the car.

Get some tools and a Haynes Manual. Between me correcting your spelling, Jeff telling you to search and Bill deleting your posts you should be able to learn a lot from the ORG.

Start by reading The FAQ, the whole thing. It will teach you a lot.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg
Get some tools and a Haynes Manual. Between me correcting your spelling, Jeff telling you to search and Bill deleting your posts you should be able to learn a lot from the ORG.

I do all three ... but silently ... and deadly-like ... like a fart.

You don't even have to get a Haynes manual, but it will make your life easier.

Even with simple mods, there are enough directions on the Org and sites by other Maxima enthusiasts to help you out.

I never picked up a wrench, much less worked on a car before I got the Maxima. Then slowly, with simple things, you install and learn.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:18 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Just and you will learn how to do it all yourself.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:43 AM

Ouch. I know I'm lazy, but I try. If I can't get it done free, I'll do it myself. Thanks for your input guys. And uh..no offense taken.