4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ground control experts..HELP QUICK!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 08:41 AM

Ground control experts..HELP QUICK!!

hey guys, im receiving some new springs today to replace my old ones on my coil overs. now heres the problem. i am going to replace my strut bearings cause im getting that clink-clunk sound, but when i was thinking about it, im not even sure if the strut bearing or any part of that upper assemly is still there!! i mean, on the stock system, there is the upper part which hold the bearing and such, but beacause Ground controls come woth their own aluminum top hat....im not sure how it is right now. Am i missing something here?? how would it be possible to run the setup with the aluminum top hat and the other top stock portion of the assembly? doesnt make sence to me. if you guys could please explain how the setup up works, and what i should do, that would be great cause im planning on installing these as soon as they get here..Thanks!!
Old 12-27-2002, 09:21 AM

Re: Ground control experts..HELP QUICK!!

Originally posted by Supermax95
hey guys, im receiving some new springs today to replace my old ones on my coil overs. now heres the problem. i am going to replace my strut bearings cause im getting that clink-clunk sound, but when i was thinking about it, im not even sure if the strut bearing or any part of that upper assemly is still there!! i mean, on the stock system, there is the upper part which hold the bearing and such, but beacause Ground controls come woth their own aluminum top hat....im not sure how it is right now. Am i missing something here?? how would it be possible to run the setup with the aluminum top hat and the other top stock portion of the assembly? doesnt make sence to me. if you guys could please explain how the setup up works, and what i should do, that would be great cause im planning on installing these as soon as they get here..Thanks!!
if im not mistakin the strut bering fits into the upper mount that has the bolts attachted to it. so it has to be there. if you have totally destryoed your strut bering it might be gone.
the aluminum top hat is for the smaller spring but you still need to use the stock upped strut mounts.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:47 AM

the uppermounts of my stock assembly are not on the car....you sure the strut bearing doesnt fit on top of the top hat??
Old 12-27-2002, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by Supermax95
the uppermounts of my stock assembly are not on the car....you sure the strut bearing doesnt fit on top of the top hat??

yeah thats right those big black thingys are off.(the stock upper spring perches) but the strut bering does not fit into those. the strut bearing fits on top of the upper spring perch and the upper strut mount with the boltes on it. the top hat replaces the upper spring mount. but the strut bearing sould still be there. it is very easy to cruchs strut berings with groud controls because its a loose piece that just sits on top of the top hat. so be careful when you jack up the car. my advice use some grease and stick the strut bearing in place so it will seat correctly. your gonna stick it to the top.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:11 AM

coo..thanks
Old 12-28-2002, 12:32 AM

hey guys....i just got the springs in today, but there was no varification of which ones were the front springs and which were the back. They both have to same rates and everything, but one is 1 inch higher than the other...i take it the longer ones are for the front and the shorter ones are for the rear??? Im gonna install em tommorow morning, and i wish i could call ground control but they r closed for the weekend so hopefully some of you gys may know.
Thanks
Old 12-29-2002, 01:07 AM
SLOW

The longer spring goes in the back if I recall correctly. Just compare it to the ones you are taking off to make sure.

I didn't quite understand your original question but you have to have the strut mount to attach them to the vehicle. And you sure as hell better have strut bearings or the noise they will make will be unbearable. They are like $20 to replace from the dealer IIRC.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what springs do you have? On my car, the shorter springs will go up front, leaving the longer ones for the rear. I believe that's how it should be on yours.
Old 12-29-2002, 02:41 PM

its actually *** backwards...the longer ones go in the back and the shorten in front..