4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

does the brand of RSB really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2000, 09:00 PM

i'm going to buy rear sway bars... and i was just wondering if there any difference performance wise.. bewteen the stillen one (for $230) and the addco one (for $175). i realize that there is a weight and price difference... but is the stillen RSB work better, or is it for bragging rights??...
Old 09-10-2000, 09:08 PM
machavez702

Yes, it does matter. The Stillen bar is adjustable with very noticable effects. The Addco is not adjustable, but it is cheaper. I have adjusted mine once and will adjust it again. I am very satisfied with mine, even though I don't like to recommend Stillen.

Old 09-10-2000, 09:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Addco's bar is adjustable as well. However the Stillen unit is more adjustable.

If your a tinker with it kinda guy get the Stillen. Personally I don't enjoy laying on my back working a socket wrench. I've gotta addco it works just fine. Either way you go... Get one... and dont' forget.... Enjoy the ride...

Wizeguy
Old 09-10-2000, 11:49 PM

I think that the Stillen is a bit more responsive since it doesn't come with bushings. The Addco comes with four polyeurethane bushings, which might cause the RSB to be a bit less effective (a bit meaning not even noticeable), but it will effectively damp out the creaks and groans an RSB might make.

Both the Stillen and Addco are great RSBs. Neither is really better than the other, so just buy by price. I have the Addco bar and I think it is excellent.

Old 09-11-2000, 05:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sorry Eric I will have to disagree with you >>>>>

if the Addco comes with the polyurethane bushiings thenit will actually make the bar more responsive because it will not deform like stock regular rubber bushings. Infact most people will switch to the polyurethane bushings to make the car handle better. The rubber bushings are more quiter and will absorb more motion before letting the swaybar do its job.
Old 09-11-2000, 06:06 AM

Check out Shox.com. I got my addco RSB from them for $125.00+ shipping. The $$ was what got me to get the addco over the stillen.
Old 09-11-2000, 06:48 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Sorry Eric I will have to disagree with you >>>>>

Originally posted by JULIAN
if the Addco comes with the polyurethane bushiings thenit will actually make the bar more responsive because it will not deform like stock regular rubber bushings. Infact most people will switch to the polyurethane bushings to make the car handle better. The rubber bushings are more quiter and will absorb more motion before letting the swaybar do its job.
i don't think he was referring to the stock rubber bushings. if i recall the stillen unit mounts to the car w/ adjustable brackets (at the ends) ..while the addco mounts to the car w/ polyurthane bushings (at the ends).
someone correct me if i'm wrong here.
Dan
Old 09-11-2000, 07:43 AM

Re: Sorry Eric I will have to disagree with you >>>>>

Originally posted by JULIAN
You're thinking of the front sway bar bushings. The Max comes with no rear sway bar. So what's in debate is - Stillens metal - metal connection vs. Addcos' Poly to metal connections.

I stand by Eric L.'s comments, they are right on.

Wizeguy
Old 09-11-2000, 08:00 AM
compu_squid

I just popped on a Stillen Rear Sway Bar this weekend. It has no bushings on it at all the blue clamps literally just clamp around rear trailing arm that connect to the wheels. As for the adjustablity I was surprised to find out that consists of two possible sets of wholes to attach to the clamps and that's it. I would have thought (especially for the dough) that they would show you the millimeters or something.

Old 09-11-2000, 02:38 PM
machavez702

adjustability

There is more than just which holes to mount the bar through. You adjust the bar by moving the entire RSB fore or aft of the axle. I installed mine about 2" past the axle the first time & placed about 1/2" pas thte second time. It made very noticeable difference. The car feels very neutrall now, where as the first position made the car feel like oversteering. I don't think that the Addco can move that much, though I have only seen pictures of one.

Old 09-11-2000, 02:42 PM
machavez702

I remember seeing in mag somewhere that Stillen put in a RSB and also welded in a plate to stiffen up the rear beam axle. I bet that would be very cheap versus buying a sway bar.

Old 09-12-2000, 11:29 AM

The plate you refer to is on the 2k pace car. Not exactly a consumer option here. SCC has an issue with a review on the Pace Car and a clear shot of the welded beam.

Also, I don't think that would have nearly the effect of an RSB. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-12-2000, 06:40 PM
compu_squid

Re: adjustability

Originally posted by machavez702
There is more than just which holes to mount the bar through. You adjust the bar by moving the entire RSB fore or aft of the axle. I installed mine about 2" past the axle the first time & placed about 1/2" pas thte second time. It made very noticeable difference. The car feels very neutrall now, where as the first position made the car feel like oversteering. I don't think that the Addco can move that much, though I have only seen pictures of one.
Thanks Dude did not know that (kind of which Stillen included that in their instruction sheet). ~C

Old 08-22-2004, 12:34 AM

I am going to buy a stillen rsb, i have no idea how to install and the option that come with it, whats the best position for stilen to have a nice tight rear
Old 08-22-2004, 12:43 AM

I used to have the Addco one and help with body roll and reduce understeering, but if I were to get another one I would get the Stillen one or one of Stillen knock-off ones on Ebay (like $135) that don't use the bushings. Bushings are nice, but I like the metal-to-metal rsb because I want the rear end to be more solid and have more adjustability to increase oversteer.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:42 AM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by brianw
The plate you refer to is on the 2k pace car. Not exactly a consumer option here. SCC has an issue with a review on the Pace Car and a clear shot of the welded beam.

Also, I don't think that would have nearly the effect of an RSB. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm considering the plate myself in addition to the 2 bars. I'll let everybody know what I decide. Thank goodness I keep all my magazines around.

Oh, and IMO there is a difference between Addco and Stillen. The stillen is .5" larger in diam which is a huge compared to Addco. I'm about to pull off my Addco and replace with Stillen next week.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:21 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Holy old thread...