4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

OMG...just realized I put in the full non-diluted coolant!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 01:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

OMG...just realized I put in the full non-diluted coolant!

I popped open the hood today and noticed the coolant resevoir was pretty low, this was the second or third time I had to refill it. Anyway, I remember I only had a little bit left of the Prestone coolant, so I went to AutoZone to pick up another. I bought the one that you can use right away, it's already diluted for you. So I bought it back home and was about to pour in the remaining coolant from the other one and noticed the two were different! OMG...the one I have been using was the original non-diluted one that you have to dilute yourself! I refilled the coolant resevoir with the new already diluted coolant. However, in the system now is about 1/4 diluted coolant and 3/4 non-diluted coolant. I originally had the already diluted coolant in there. When I removed the SC, I had to drain/refill the coolant. I refilled the coolant with about 1/4 left of the diluted coolant that I had at the time. I needed more, so I went to AutoZone to pick up another. Without really looking, I picked up the non-diluted one. Of course, I didn't know at the time. Only today did I know. A bit too late now. Any harm in this? Should I drain/refill the whole system again?

I can't believe how careless I was.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:10 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: OMG...just realized I put in the full non-diluted coolant!

Originally posted by Cumalot
I popped open the hood today and noticed the coolant resevoir was pretty low, this was the second or third time I had to refill it. Anyway, I remember I only had a little bit left of the Prestone coolant, so I went to AutoZone to pick up another. I bought the one that you can use right away, it's already diluted for you. So I bought it back home and was about to pour in the remaining coolant from the other one and noticed the two were different! OMG...the one I have been using was the original non-diluted one that you have to dilute yourself! I refilled the coolant resevoir with the new already diluted coolant. However, in the system now is about 1/4 diluted coolant and 3/4 non-diluted coolant. I originally had the already diluted coolant in there. When I removed the SC, I had to drain/refill the coolant. I refilled the coolant with about 1/4 left of the diluted coolant that I had at the time. I needed more, so I went to AutoZone to pick up another. Without really looking, I picked up the non-diluted one. Of course, I didn't know at the time. Only today did I know. A bit too late now. Any harm in this? Should I drain/refill the whole system again?

how many miles has it been since u last drain/filled it? Might as well do it...

I can't believe how careless I was.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:11 PM
jeff99SE

Just drain out a little, and then fill with straight water. I don't see why you would have to drain it all out? Just make sure you get one of those antifreeze testers and make sure it tests O.K.

Old 01-08-2003, 01:11 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

You should definitely drain and refill the system properly. Pure "coolant" does not provide nearly enough heat capacity. You've probably been ok so far because it's winter, but come summer, you may have problems. Also pure coolant is not good for all the various seals and such in the system.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah I think I might just go ahead and drain/refill the whole system. School starts next week, so better do it now or I won't have time to do anything when school starts. I was planning to do an oil change this weekend. So might as well do both.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:28 PM

Make sure you use distilled water too.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:32 PM

Definitely drain and refill it. Coolant alone does not really have the heat transfer capacity of water. Nissan recommends a 50/50 mix optimally, but can go as high as 70% coolant / 30% water.